Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Adult skaters - how often do you skate?

Hi everyone! I remember reading this forum years ago when I was taking lessons as a young teen. Now I'm 26 and returning to skating.

I signed up for an adult group class at a nearby park distinct rink that started last week. I just want to keep skating!! I'm contemplating signing up for another group class on Saturdays in hopes of making more progress, and I'm also trying to find times at local rinks to practice. (Thinking at least 2x a week?)

So I'm wondering, for all of you adult skaters, what does your schedule look like? How many lessons and practice sessions do you do each week and do you find that to be enough?

vCash
    When I first started skating, I skated 1-2 times per week. More often only once. Now, I usually skate three times per week. Two of those are lessons, once is a practice session. I normally only skate 45-60 minutes per session. I find that I skate better if I skate several, shorter session like that, rather than longer sessions.

I did find I made more progress once I started skating more often.

Do I find the amount of skating I do to be enough? It has to be. I have one full-time job, two part-time jobs, and a family, so this is all I can fit in! But if I could do more, and could afford it, I would skate more often.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I do a group, a private, and then skate another 2.5-4 hours on my own depending. I have a 4 year old, but he's in preschool part-time, so I get to skate when he's at school. Is it enough for me? I'm certainly advancing in my skating more than when my son wasn't in school. I would skate everyday if I could though. Ahaha.

vCash
    When I was skating "seriously" I went 3-4 days a week. I did 2 group lessons and one 30 min private. I was bronze level.

Now I'm lucky to get there twice a month

vCash
    I keep applying for jobs near ice rinks, just so I could go skating on lunch.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    When I was still part time at my old job, I used to skate 3-4 days a week, usually an hour and a half each time, with a half-hour lesson every week.

Now, full time and across the other side of town from the only rink, it's two days a week if I'm lucky, with my half-hour lesson. It's never enough, but I can't go more.

vCash
    Thank you guys for your responses! It sounds like 3-4 days and more than one lesson a week works well for you guys if you can manage it. I'd love to hear from more adult skaters too - I'm nosy, hehe. I'm still trying to figure out my perfect schedule - i might be able to fit in some short practice sessions, another group and at least one public each week. I'm contemplating a private too but I don't necessarily want to go all out with the expenses just yet?

GarrAarghHrumph, wow, that is lot of jobs! Hopefully not just to sustain your skating habit hehe. I don't know how you have the energy to work so much, take care of the family AND skate!

Skittl1321, bummer you can't go more often anymore

vCash
    When I first started skating (Basic 8's), I skated the hour of my group lesson (1/2 hour lesson and 1/2 hour practice at the end third of the rink) and maybe went to a public session another day of the week to practice for about an hour. At those levels, there really isn't that much to practice so you don't need a huge amount of practice time. You didn't say what level you are, but I don't know if another group lesson would really have helped me move along faster in Basic Skills levels - supplementing with private lessons would probably have, but I agree with you about holding off on the extra expense.

When I got to freestyle levels, I stayed in group lessons up until about FS 5, then switched over to one private lesson a week and would practice 2-3 additional sessions. Now I skate about 5 sessions/3 days a week and have one 20-minute lesson. Two lessons would be great, but I don't want to take on the additional expense. I'm Adult Bronze in FS and working on Adult Gold MIF.

vCash
    Debbie, did your rink have adult FS group lessons? I feel like that would be nice. I feel like i might feel uncomfortable with the kids! i know when i was a teen that was always a concern for me, and my parents weren't really willing to pay for privates so i didn't really keep going. the group class i'm in, i think our coach is the skating school director, so I suppose I could always talk to her.

I don't know my level exactly but I think I could finish basics pretty soon. I can do most of the stuff in the basic curriculum aside from 3 turns/mohawks in my bad direction, and it feels like i could get those with a bit of practice. oh and i don't seem to remember how to do a hockey or t stop lol. In class they've been having us do alternating forward chasse-swing rolls, and i can do those decently until i get distracted and forget what step i'm on lolol

vCash
    How often I go depends on my work schedule and my club's ice time. Ideally I would like to go 3x/wk at least, but that's not always possible. I try to schedule at least one session each week when I can always be there (i.e. I won't have to work late and miss it), and get a private lesson on that session, but for any of the other sessions, my coaches give my a lesson if they have time, and if not I work on my own.

Our club usually has only one adult session each week, so any other sessions I go to are with the kids. Those sessions are a little crowded, but the kids are really good about keeping out of each other's way, and out of the way of whoever is doing their program. I'll go to public skate sessions if I absolutely can't get any other ice time, but I try not to because those sessions are *way* too crowded and/or have too many people showing off for their girl/boyfriend, skating while texting (really), and generally not paying attention. So they're very dangerous IMHO.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Currently I skate twice a week, each for an hour, including a half hour lesson on one session. Ideally I would like an additional practice session, but it's tough to find one that is quiet and fits in with work (or where I can persuade myself to get up early enough). I only skate at a very low level though, so I do okay even with limited sessions.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    I have 1 30 minute group lesson a week, 1 hour long ice dance session & then I usually skate for an extra 3 or 4 hours a week. Most of that extra time is on public sessions though, where sometimes I can't get a huge amount of practice done because it is so busy.

vCash
    I take 1 half-hour private lesson a week and aim to skate 2-3 additional practices per week, but sometimes I only manage 1 or occasionally 0.

In my 30s I liked to skate for an hour and a half at a time (as a teenager I could do 6-hour days of skating, but half of it was patch in those days). As I got older I found that a little over an hour is my limit before little injuries start happening.

I'm also bronze freestyle level and working on gold moves, but I'm not nearly as far along on those moves as Debbie S -- can't actually do all the patterns yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerain View Post
    Debbie, did your rink have adult FS group lessons?
    No, all ages mixed in together. At first, I was hesitant but it really wasn't bad. Occasionally, there were other adults in my classes. Just focus on the instructor and on what you are doing and don't worry about the munchkins. My instructors were all good about giving equal time/attention to each student. Kids can be demanding, lol, so be sure to speak up if you have a question or need the instructor to look at something. You paid for the class, too.

vCash
    My group classes were with kids. It worked very well for freestyle because the kids were focused (and the instructors were great). It was a disaster for basic skills because the kids were all over the place and so much time was wasted. Thankfully, I only had to do 2 levels of basic skills with kids.

When there was some changeover in the freeestyle levels, and a bunch of new younger kids moved up, I got taken out of mid-freestyle and got put into "Axel Plus", despite only having jumps through loop. I just did a lower level jump on the same pattern as the kids. Once the younger kids got better at the freestyle class mentality and I didn't feel like my time was wasted, I went back down to the mid-level class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerain View Post
    GarrAarghHrumph, wow, that is lot of jobs! Hopefully not just to sustain your skating habit hehe. I don't know how you have the energy to work so much, take care of the family AND skate!
    The extra jobs fund my skating and that of my daughter. I also sometimes take that money and funnel it back in to my own education, to keep current in my field. Grad level classes at the level I need them to be are not cheap, and my day job doesn't fund that type of stuff.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I had skated as a kid, with private lessons, and had all the single jumps including axel as a kid.

As an adult, having lost some jump ability, I did sometimes take group freestyle lessons when I couldn't afford private. Sometimes a teenager would be included, but not little kids.

What wasn't useful for me was taking a mixed-level freestyle class on a studio rink. I was the only person working on freestyle 5 skills, but that would have been OK with more space. The real problem was when we did things like crossovers in a circle. I had to work hard not to gain speed because there wasn't enough space and the other skaters didn't have as much power, and even less maneuverability.

On the other hand, at my previous group lessons at a full-sized rink, sometimes the instructors would make everybody do crossovers in a circle together for several minutes at a time while they took turns correcting people. I couldn't keep skating nonstop for that long because I had breathing/stamina issues from asthma at the time, so I kept having to drop out of the circle.

vCash
    What I wanted to add is, a lot of people don't like being in group classes with kids, and that's fine. But be very careful about the curriculum of adult group classes. I know both Aussie Skate and the USFSA system have "Adult" streams, but if you actually look at the content of those levels, they are quite often "dumbed down" and exist on the theory that adults only ever want to do ice dance. If you want a fuller, broader range of skating skills and you want your jumps, you need to take the non-adult track.

vCash
    Misskarne- unless I'm mistaken, the USFS adult curriculum for Learn to Skate groups only exists for Basic Skills. There is only one set of freestyle curriculum. So rinks would either use that, ISI (which does not have seperate adult levels), or make their own.

There is of course the adult test structure, but that isn't set up as a group class structure.

I'd assume as a returning skater, the OP is not going to do Basic Skills.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    When I was skating "seriously" I went 3-4 days a week. I did 2 group lessons and one 30 min private. I was bronze level.

Now I'm lucky to get there twice a month
    What she (? I assume?) said. Though I was prepping for Pre-Juv and Bronze dance. I'd still like to get back to that level of ability, but right now I'm just trying to sign up for the adult group at the rink I get to maybe once a week if I'm lucky, just to try learning some baby freestyle and maybe get back to where I was. At this rate getting up to 2 days a week would be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast