Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    There is nothing unusual about this and I don't understand the use of the word "downgrade" (although it is in inverted commas).

Winning an Olympic gold medal means a lot of media interest. You get your 15 minutes of fame and you want to milk it for what it's worth because it'll be over quick. It opens a lot of doors and between the interviews, endorsements, shows and all other media appearances, you just don't have enough time and focus to prepare for Worlds properly.

Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    She did in 2003 though and was only 6th. I assume that's what sk9tingfan is referring to.
    Off-topic: She was only 6th but she has actually improved a lot and skated much better than at 2002 Olympics, IMO.

vCash
    Sorry to hear that. I wanted her to refute those Sotnikoflation and Ro-ssi-yaflation controversies and justify her OGM by being the World Champion in Japan.
    But well, this move was totally anticipated, no wonder.

vCash
    If people don't think her beating Yuna and Carolina was justifiable how would winning a yunaless worlds justify it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I wonder how many liberal westerners hate Adelina because she crosses herself before she skates? I remember complaints in 1994 about Oksana Baiul also showing her Christianity by crossing herself before skating. I hope that some liberals aren't also taking it out on Adelina for showing her religion. Everybody should be free to express his/her religion on the ice.

Same thing about V/T's 'Jesus' program. Guess what? Jesus won. So did Adelina.
    This may be the dumbest theory ever.
    For the record, this liberal Westerner Catholic doesn't give a shit about any skater's religious expressions.

vCash
    She doesn't need to "justify" her Oly gold. There will be no asterisk by her name in the record books. If she tested positive for drugs or if she whacked her opponents to take them out of the games or if several judges were found to be in cahoots, then you can argue her win. This constant sniping that she didn't deserve her win is pointless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Off-topic: She was only 6th but she has actually improved a lot and skated much better than at 2002 Olympics, IMO.
    Care to explain this gem? Her under rotations were even worse in 2003 not to mention her speed. Perhaps you just preferred her programs?

vCash
    Deleted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I wonder how many liberal westerners hate Adelina because she crosses herself before she skates? I remember complaints in 1994 about Oksana Baiul also showing her Christianity by crossing herself before skating. I hope that some liberals aren't also taking it out on Adelina for showing her religion. Everybody should be free to express his/her religion on the ice.

Same thing about V/T's 'Jesus' program. Guess what? Jesus won. So did Adelina.
    Just for the record -- a lot of Christians, myself (a conservative Catholic) included, find Jesus Christ Superstar irreverent and borderline if not fully offensive because we see it as downgrading (no joke on the thread title) a member of the Holy Trinity to something like a modern popstar or similar.

I say that as a fan of V/T for the most part (I don't love them as much as S/S) who dislikes that program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers
    Even Sarah was more accomplished than Adelina. If Adelina retires she goes down as the worst Olympic Gold medalist ever. And Sarah didn't go to Worlds after the Olympics in 2002.
    I would rank Sarah & then Annett Potzsch as the worst OGMs that I ever saw, talking about overall skating. (Sarah had the worst pre-rotations & cheats I've ever seen from anyone - AND the worst flutz.) Trixie Schuba was the worst at free skating but she had the most amazing figures ever at a time when figures were 60% of the score so she was the rightful winner in 1972. But I don't even consider Sarah & Annett as rightful winners. As far as the others I've seen, I'd put Adelina ahead of Witt & Arakawa for sure - both were rightful winners but their Oly skates were pretty weak.

Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Actually Sarah is pretty attractive. Plus she had much better posture than Adelina.
    Attractive is in the eye of the beholder. I think Adelina is pretty cute. I'm not saying that Sarah had nothing going for her but her posture was pretty bad - she was the queen of the hunched shoulders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    So what Russian ladies are going at this point?
    Natalia Popova. Wait. She is from the Ukraine. Oh well..same thing..

vCash
    Hanyu: Over 2 points below his highest PCS in the list you gave

Sotnikova: Almost 5 points above her PCS in the list you gave, and others said Sotnikova skated similarly at Europeans.

But even if a case can me made that skater _ was over-scored, it has nothing to to do with Sotnikova's scorse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    She doesn't need to "justify" her Oly gold. There will be no asterisk by her name in the record books. If she tested positive for drugs or if she whacked her opponents to take them out of the games or if several judges were found to be in cahoots, then you can argue her win. This constant sniping that she didn't deserve her win is pointless.
    It depends how you look at it. I dont neccessarily agree with the uproar that seems to be surrounding her win but in this sport when people remember you for controversial wins or your biggest wins as controversial, it does tend to take some lustre off the achievement and affect how people regard it and you. This isnt a sport run against a stopwatch, but decided by a selected handful of people, and if people dont trust or strongly disagree with these people then you wont be recognized the same way as people who had pretty convincing wins to the general public and experts like Michelle Kwan, Yu Na Kim, Gordeeva & Grinkov, Torvill & Dean, Kurt Browning, etc....

Just look at Patrick Chan and to a lesser degree Oksana Gritschuk and how they are perceived and rated by people which is significantly lower than their achievements on paper.

vCash
    There is nothing unusual about this and I don't understand the use of the word "downgrade" (although it is in inverted commas).
    The article linked in the first post uses the word downgraded to describe Sotnikova's status for worlds. The site is a Russian website with articles that look they have been translated to English so I think that in the process of translating the individual picked the wording that was close to the original Russian but the wording is not something an English language speaker would have used.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    Care to explain this gem? Her under rotations were even worse in 2003 not to mention her speed. Perhaps you just preferred her programs?
    Yeah, I guess I meant the presentation side of things. Technically she was as hopeless as ever, I guess I remember her improving her posture and lines, both of which were shockingly bad at 2002 Olympics. It's like she actually made an effort.

Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I would rank Sarah & then Annett Potzsch as the worst OGMs that I ever saw, talking about overall skating. (Sarah had the worst pre-rotations & cheats I've ever seen from anyone - AND the worst flutz.) Trixie Schuba was the worst at free skating but she had the most amazing figures ever at a time when figures were 60% of the score so she was the rightful winner in 1972. But I don't even consider Sarah & Annett as rightful winners. As far as the others I've seen, I'd put Adelina ahead of Witt & Arakawa for sure - both were rightful winners but their Oly skates were pretty weak.
    Ever since I started following skating, the Ladies' OGM would always end up being some kind of sad joke with Kim's majestic and unquestionable 2010 victory being the only exception I can think of. It's like there's some kind of ancient curse hanging over the poor Ladiezzz.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    The article linked in the first post uses the word downgraded to describe Sotnikova's status for worlds. The site is a Russian website with articles that look they have been translated to English so I think that in the process of translating the individual picked the wording that was close to the original Russian but the wording is not something an English language speaker would have used.
    Ah ok, that would make sense, thanks.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-08-2014 at 06:11 AM.

vCash
    Yeah, I guess I meant the presentation side of things. Technically she was as hopeless as ever, I guess I remember her improving her posture and lines, both of which were shockingly bad at 2002 Olympics. It's like she actually made an effort.
    Sarah was no Nikodinov but she could paint a striking picture on the ice. You must have found the ladies field back then nearly entirely unwatchable if you found Hughes that repulsive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniev View Post
    Natalia Popova. Wait. She is from the Ukraine. Oh well..same thing..
    Popova will be like 10th in Russia, so I don't think thru are going to send her even if she is from Crimea.

vCash
    Why I'm not surprised with this news... I could have bet money on it just the same way I did with Plushenko withdrawing before the individual event...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    Sarah was no Nikodinov but she could paint a striking picture on the ice. You must have found the ladies field back then nearly entirely unwatchable if you found Hughes that repulsive.
    A striking picture of sloppiness maybe. Between her hunched shoulders, turtle neck and poor lines, with none of her movements extended properly, it was just .

I've recently re-watched her 2002 Olympics SP because of some discussion about those results and it was even worse than I remembered.

There were plenty of Ladies who were very much watchable - for different reasons - back then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8swan View Post
    Why I'm not surprised with this news... I could have bet money on it just the same way I did with Plushenko withdrawing before the individual event...
    You bet money on a screw in Plushenko's back snapping?

Or are you one of these evil people who says he faked it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    You bet money on a screw in Plushenko's back snapping?

Or are you one of these evil people who says he faked it?
    Given the severity of his injuries/health issues, it was very likely that something would flare up.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast