Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    I wonder how many liberal westerners hate Adelina because she crosses herself before she skates? I remember complaints in 1994 about Oksana Baiul also showing her Christianity by crossing herself before skating. I hope that some liberals aren't also taking it out on Adelina for showing her religion. Everybody should be free to express his/her religion on the ice.

Same thing about V/T's 'Jesus' program. Guess what? Jesus won. So did Adelina.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Please don't lump all liberals into one group and assume we all behave the same. I don't "hate" folks as long as they don't "hate" me. Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Everybody should be free to express his/her religion on the ice.

I never thought about it or noticed before but doubt if it has any relevance to how a skater is received by liberals or conservatives.

When Condi Rice asked Michelle Kwan to become a special ambassador for USA it wasn't a political decision or based on religion or race.
    It was because Condi was a great admirer of Michelle. It didn't hurt that as a young girl Condi was also a figure skater.

I am all for freedom on the ice (whatever that means) but the smart skaters will concentrate on scoring points on the ice if they want to succeed in this era.

vCash
    For what it's worth, Yuna also crosses herself before skating.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yunasashafan View Post
    For what it's worth, Yuna also crosses herself before skating.
    Oh no what will the liberal westerners do?

I'm interested in hearing more about Adelina's activities since Olympics. Has she made lots of tv appearances? What ways have her gold medal been celebrated? I admit I was sort of surprised by the article headline with the world "downgraded," I would have thought there would have been more positive coverage of Adelina.

Also wondering how Julia has been received in the media and public in Russia since Olympics? Is she being feted as Adelina is? Or has she been "downgraded"?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I seriously doubt views on the sochi skating event have anything to do with religion except for a very few extreme wackadoos.

<---Liberal westerner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I seriously doubt views on the sochi skating event have anything to do with religion except for a very few extreme wackadoos.

<---Liberal westerner.
    Apparently Adelina crossing herself helped raise her PCS.

In Yuna's case crossing herself lowered her TES.

Go figure.
    Last edited by MrLucky; 03-07-2014 at 03:03 PM.

vCash
    I wonder how many liberal westerners hate Adelina because she crosses herself before she skates? I remember complaints in 1994 about Oksana Baiul also showing her Christianity by crossing herself before skating. I hope that some liberals aren't also taking it out on Adelina for showing her religion. Everybody should be free to express his/her religion on the ice.

Kudos to you for the absolute most irrelevant, ridiculous, and STUPID comment of the week. I could care less about any skater's religion, I care about how they SKATE. I have never objected to any skater making the sign of the cross (or any other religious gesture) - if that helps them to settle into their skate, good for them.

And I had no issue with Adelina winning the OGM, just that I didn't think her PCS should be as high as Kim's or Kostner's.

And I'm as bleeding heart liberal as they come.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    But Adelina's PCS were much higher at the Olympics that previous competitions, weren't they?

And international judges have been ranking Hanyu high for quite some time. It didn't just happen at the Olympics. Not to mention, Hanyu's win over Chan was not controversial or questionable.

And Adelina can't be compared to Ten, either. Ten was underscored in PCS for a long time and he pretty much forced the judges to change their mind with his Artist programs, especially when he skated them lights out.
    That was my point.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Thanks. Well, at least Adelina can say that she retired as *the* Olympic ladies champ (unofficial retirement, as this is not official yet). She won't go out as a Worlds silver medalist or worse. Her marketability will remain high in Russia & Japan...anywhere but N.Am.
    I just opened this thread so I haven't read all the pages but this post shocked me. Why in the world would her marketability be different in NA than in Russia or Japan? OGMs don't always go to Worlds afterwards but those who do & end up not winning have not tarnished their gold, at least not with knowledgeable skating fans. You act like she came out of nowhere & barely knew how to skate & was gifted the gold. Please don't lump me in with your anti-Russian mind-set because I don't share it. IOW, speak for yourself.

ETA: now I'm on page 4 & I saw your post about skaters crossing themselves. Seriously? Are you on drugs?

vCash
    I'm just waiting for Adelina's win to be blamed on Obamacare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    Or Benghazi.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash

I tried to post to what you stated earlier, but my internet was temporarily out. I'm not sure why you would even say something like this. I'm a Christian and I don't "hate" anyone. Hate isn't even a word I want to keep in my vocabulary. Not all westerners hate, and that's not an accurate statement. I thank God every day for my life and the miracle he gave me. I was here to see yet another Olympics and I thank God for that. I don't hate Adelina whatsoever. I happen to think she's a very talented young lady with a great future in Figure Skating. Not all liberal westerners "hate" and that is simply fact.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Consider the source there, y'all.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash

I'm Jewish and I didn't even notice that she had crossed herself!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    Or global warming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    But Adelina's PCS were much higher at the Olympics that previous competitions, weren't they?

And international judges have been ranking Hanyu high for quite some time. It didn't just happen at the Olympics. Not to mention, Hanyu's win over Chan was not controversial or questionable.

And Adelina can't be compared to Ten, either. Ten was underscored in PCS for a long time and he pretty much forced the judges to change their mind with his Artist programs, especially when he skated them lights out.
    Depends what your definition of "for quite some time" is.

Hanyu

2013 Worlds - PCS 80
    2014 Skate Canada - PCS 76.86
    2014 TEB - 81.94
    2014 GPF - 92.38
    2014 OG - 90.98

Sotnikova

2013 Worlds - PCS 63.63
    2014 Cup of China - 60.31
    2014 TEB - 64.65
    2014 GPF - 60.41
    2014 Europeans - 69.60
    2014 OG - 74.41

If Hanyu's steep rise in PCS is justified, why wouldn't Sotnikova's be?

vCash
    Sotnikova said she wants to win more golds which would be hard to do if she retires. She's already won the Crown Jewel of the sport. Anything else from this point on is gravy. She's already got the ice cream with the cherry on top.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    Apparently Adelina crossing herself helped raise her PCS.

In Yuna's case crossing herself lowered her TES.

Go figure.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast