Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

vCash
    Yes, but that happens on every continent.
    My comment was in response to misskarne, who said

THE SAME THING HAPPENS IN JAPAN, USA, CANADA, EVERYWHERE, and I don't see endless threads whinging about that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I'll admit, ladies is my least favorite discipline, so the Olympic result isn't nearly as scandalous to me as to some others. But...

Didn't Yuna have a pretty noticeable UR on her 2nd triple lutz, not to mention one less triple?
    Yes, I think at any competition other than the Olympics that lutz would have been marked <.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Davydova won an event medal on all of bars, beam, and floor at the 80 Games or 81 Worlds, and won another AA medal at the 81 Worlds, so I wouldnt say she followed with nothing. Although I hope I am wrong my best guess on Sotnikova is she will truly pan out as a 1 hit wonder, and would be lucky to have a Davydova like follow up to her big win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Davidova won AA bronze at Worlds the year after the Moscow Games. Top 3 after the Olympics is nothing to sneeze at.
    My bigger point was that Davidova popped up out of nowhere (she was only an alternate in '78 and '79 I think) to win the 1980 Olympic crown, and she won the big medal only once. Yes, she was 3rd in 1981 but retired after that. She still didn't win the big title in 1981.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    My bigger point was that Davidova popped up out of nowhere (she was only an alternate in '78 and '79 I think) to win the 1980 Olympic crown, and she won the big medal only once. Yes, she was 3rd in 1981 but retired after that. She still didn't win the big title in 1981.
    Like Gabby Douglas, her only medal is the AA gold, the other two world and Olympic medal is from team event.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    We will see if Adelina turns into Elena Davidova (testing skating fans' knowledge of Gymnastics here ) - Olympic Champ, but nothing else to follow.
    Davydova competed through 1981 worlds where she competed with a very sore neck injury. She finished third all around in a USSR sweep of the medals after falling on her beam dismount. She won the qualification round.

I guess that counts as "nothing".

Sorry I see other people already mentioned her post Olympic career. I tend to get very defensive where Davydova is concerned. Her contributions to the sport of gymnastics post retirement is unmeasurable and I wish she would get more positive recognition
    Last edited by danafan; 03-12-2014 at 12:45 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Oksana versus Nancy is athletic versus artistic - and wooden versus charming, in this case - which it pretty much always come down to in these debates.
    One person's "wooden vs. charming" is another's "understated vs. cheesy."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Like Gabby Douglas, her only medal is the AA gold, the other two world and Olympic medal is from team event.
    Poor Gabby, she only won double Gold at age 16.

It is not just unsporting but beyond silly to try and discredit Gabby for her accomplishments in London.

What is it with people at this board who think "body of work" trumps amazing Olympic performances.

Mustafina got it right when she said "Gabby was the best and deserved to win the AA OGM."

Why belittle Gabby's great achievement? It's not like it was handed to her and in fact she had to outperform some great challengers.

Go Gabby!
    Last edited by MrLucky; 03-12-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    One person's "wooden vs. charming" is another's "understated vs. cheesy."

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Kind of tired of words like "energy", "spark", "grabbing the audience by the throat", "making a moment", (my personal favorite "tentative") blah, blah, blah..Stephanie Rosenthal made a moment at Nats in 06 and I didn't see her anywhere near the podium. I say do away with the second mark.It seems to mean nothing anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    It is not just unsporting but beyond silly to try and discredit Gabby for her accomplishments in London.

Why belittle Gabby's great achievement? It's not like it was handed to her and in fact she had to outperform some great challengers.
    Agreed. Yet, Sarah Hughes is constantly belittled for doing exactly the same thing.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Kind of tired of words like "energy", "spark", "grabbing the audience by the throat", "making a moment", (my personal favorite "tentative") blah, blah, blah
    That's the Sonia Bianchetti "You Know It When You See It" criteria.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Davydova competed through 1981 worlds where she competed with a very sore neck injury. She finished third all around in a USSR sweep of the medals after falling on her beam dismount. She won the qualification round.

I guess that counts as "nothing".

Sorry I see other people already mentioned her post Olympic career. I tend to get very defensive where Davydova is concerned. Her contributions to the sport of gymnastics post retirement is unmeasurable and I wish she would get more positive recognition
    Please see my post just above yours. You are putting words in my mouth. I never said 'nothing'. I'm not debating her innovation or what she brought to the sport. I just found the comparison striking.

vCash
    [QUOTE=MrLucky;4203549 What is it with people at this board who think "body of work" trumps amazing Olympic performances.
    Go Gabby! [/QUOTE]

It's about what skaters are remembered, and how they are remembered.

Olympic champions who don't have an enduring career aren't remembered as well as skaters who do have that career, but no Olympic gold.

Kurt Browning and Michelle are remembered much better than Alexei Urmanov or Sarah Hughes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    It's about what skaters are remembered, and how they are remembered.

Olympic champions who don't have an enduring career aren't remembered as well as skaters who do have that career, but no Olympic gold.

Kurt Browning and Michelle are remembered much better than Alexei Urmanov or Sarah Hughes.
    That is true, but more for some than others. I happen to root for the underdog and find great performances can be inspiring .

I won't forget Adelina's great win anytime soon and I still watch Sarah's LP from SLC now and then. I also enjoyed Sarah's recaps on NBC sports and even though I like Sasha and Michelle better I have room for Sarah too.

You got me on Mr Puffy sleeves though.
    Last edited by MrLucky; 03-13-2014 at 01:06 AM.

vCash
    Gabby is reportedly in training....just saying.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Gabby is reportedly in training....just saying.
    Last I saw she was going to be on some reality cooking show or whatever it was supposed to be. She has also been promoting her book, her TV movie, etc.

Who is her new coach and where is she training?

vCash
    Gymnastics news and discussion thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...astics-News-13

Here's Sotnikova's recent "Art on Ice" performance in Switzerland (March 2nd): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X82RdJhUk1A
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-13-2014 at 12:59 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Yes, I think at any competition other than the Olympics that lutz would have been marked <.
    Wait... you mean it wasn't?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    N/M. wrong thread. Sorry~~
    Last edited by RunnersHigh; 03-13-2014 at 06:07 AM.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I have a better idea - if they were so bent on AW on the team, then nominate her BEFORE the event based on the strength of her season up to that point. Then judge Nationals by what is actually put out on the ice. I give them credit for not holding Wagner up because they easily could have done. (Not that there wouldn't have been an outcry, of course - see 2013.)

Anyway, no use rehashing that thing again. What's done is done, and hopefully they can make it clearer for everyone moving forward.
    Of course rehashing changes nothing and points are moot at this point. Indeed both Gracie and Ashley were nominated before the U. S. Nationals event, but the judging as usual is never just based on what takes place on the ice. There were inconsistencies in the scoring across the board, starting with the extreme low-balling of Caroline Zhang, which then affected scoring of ladies who came directly after her who were expected to skate well but made glaring mistakes. One could argue the top four ladies' scores were fair in sp, but I would have had Gracie around 69 or 70, and Polina close behind Ashley with a score around 63+. Having more difficult technique should not automatically boost a skater's PCS marks. Even Polina was surprised at her score in the sp.

Ashley did not complete her 3/3 and was obviously tight going into it in sp at Nats, but otherwise skated very well and arguably could have been slightly ahead of Polina in sp based on overall maturity and delivering a more well-rounded program. I doubt that would have been cause for much controversy. Everyone in top four except Mirai fell in the fp, but granted Ashley's mistakes were greater there. However, I feel they gave Ashley a mountain to climb at home as the defending U.S. champion after she had a good sp skate.

When it comes to figure skating judging, I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed about anything being made clearer for anyone going forward.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 03-13-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast