Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I don't understand, she said right after the Olympics : "Ill go to Worlds, to win, I want to win every possible title"
    Well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Evan Sarah was more accomplished the Adelina. If Adelina retires she goes down as the worst Olympic Gold medalist ever. And Sarah didn't go to Worlds after the Olympics in 2002.

I guess it is hard dealing with how great Adelina skated in Sochi compared to your favorites.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I don't understand, she said right after the Olympics : "Ill go to Worlds, to win, I want to win every possible title"
    Well
    I don't know too many adults who would hold an ecstatically happy 17 year old girl to words she uttered at the happiest moment of her life.
    Last edited by MrLucky; 03-06-2014 at 10:22 PM.

vCash
    Tatiana Volosozhar/Maxim Trankov said right away at the press conference in Sotchi and also in later interviews that they will be entered as substitutes for Worlds and they will see in what shape they are. They are currently performing in Art on Ice, as are Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy and Adelina Sotnikova. The skaters are not sure how well they can prepare for Worlds while being on the tour. Therefore the Russians are not entered now but it might change. The Izvestia article says basically the same. As for Savchenko/Szolkowy they said in Sotchi that they want to come to Japan for Worlds, but also said that they will only come if they feel they can perform well.

So the Russian skaters still might show up. Adelina for sure was very motivated, but maybe she will be tired after the shows. According to the Izvesitia article linked above, the final decision of the team will be announced on March 10.

Today there was a similar change in the roster for Junior Worlds. Elena Radionova replaced Alexandra Proklova. Elena was originally entered as a substitute, but the Federation decided to name her to the team based on her achievements this season, although she had to withdraw from Junior Nationals due to injury: http://fsrussia.ru/news/1128_radiono...redi-yuniorov/
    Ice dancers Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin withdrew due to illness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Sarah Hughes did not go to to 2002 Worlds.
    She did in 2003 though and was only 6th. I assume that's what sk9tingfan is referring to.

vCash
    We are talking about OGMs going to post-Olympics Worlds, no?

vCash
    For the record, I started the thread and put in both articles as they happened to be all I could find at the time regarding her change in status (I stumbled on the Russian article looking at something completely different). I wasn't presenting any particular opinion here, only surprise that this had happened.

Of course, I should have known it would have brought both reasonable discussion and of course the opposite (including continued excuses to either bash Adelina or other skaters certain posters are STILL PO'd about ), but what the hell, carry on...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Well
    Want to, and be able to are different things.
    She may have demands on her time that she did not anticipate.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Not to mention that she will have opportunities in the future to win a Worlds title.

In any case, we don't know if she is going or not according to Eislauffen's explanation. What I'm wondering is have any federations done this in the past, where they put in someone as an alternate so they can decide later if they will go? I don't recall it, but I may just have missed it.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    What I'm wondering is have any federations done this in the past, where they put in someone as an alternate so they can decide later if they will go? I don't recall it, but I may just have missed it.
    I think the usual procedure is to enter somebody and then he can always withdraw if he changes his mind. Maybe the Russians did it that way just because it is not so likely that these skaters will go. Trankov said it is 50:50 that they will go, later he sounded more like 30:70 (more likely not going). Adelina and the pair had to handle a lot of attention and the shows, and they do not want to show up at Worlds in poor shape. So I think it is more likey they will not go, but the Federation left the door open for them.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    I think the usual procedure is to enter somebody and then he can always withdraw if he changes his mind. Maybe the Russians did it that way just because it is not so likely that these skaters will go. Trankov said it is 50:50 that they will go, later he sounded more like 30:70 (more likely not going). Adelina and the pair had to handle a lot of attention and the shows, and they do not want to show up at Worlds in poor shape. So I think it is more likey they will not go, but the Federation left the door open for them.
    It makes sense. Its tough competing after Olympics, so I kind of hope they don't go. There's so much demand on the time of Oly Gold medalists, they really can't concentrate on worlds the way their competitors can.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    For the record, I started the thread and put in both articles as they happened to be all I could find at the time regarding her change in status (I stumbled on the Russian article looking at something completely different). I wasn't presenting any particular opinion here, only surprise that this had happened.

Of course, I should have known it would have brought both reasonable discussion and of course the opposite (including continued excuses to either bash Adelina or other skaters certain posters are STILL PO'd about ), but what the hell, carry on...
    Sorry, you brought this on yourself with that thread title. You can't possibly expect to post a provocative thread title like that and get a rational discussion, especially where Adelina is involved.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Its actually the title of the article linked to at er.ru.sport "Olympic Champion Sotnikova Downgraded to Substitute for World Champs." It seems they were being provocative for some reason.

No one's going to post anything about Adelina right at the moment without it stirring up a bit of dust storm though.

vCash
    Well
    Well, I guess we should wait for the official starting list
    Anyway, she shouldn't be ashamed of skipping worlds.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    And they key is by being named a substitute, they will not run into the same issues Plushenko did in 2010 when he withdrew and skated in a show. This way, the skater and federation have left all options open. It is very difficult to keep the same training level between the Olympics and Worlds only a month later, particularly for the medal winners. If Adelina, V/T and S/S all feel that they are in competitive shape, they can enter. If not, they won't be penalized for skating in shows or getting much needed rest. There is no reason to think Sotnikova won't be back to skate next season. Sorry, for those who would dearly love to see her not do exactly that.

On a personal note, I do hope S/S can win one more World title before Robin calls it quits. I don't expect V/T to skate this Worlds and their future depends on injury management.

vCash
    I think it is smart for Sotnikova not to skate at Worlds. To lose there would have reinforced the suspicion that she won in Sochi because of bias. Time for the dust to settle. She can also take the time to improve by next season because all eyes will be on her.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post

Thanks for posting the links which were informative, timely and of interest to Adelina's fans and detractors.

Now, can anyone please tell me what is up with Dennis Ten? Is he skipping Worlds? If so, why?
    I think he had a good shot at winning another major medal.

vCash
    D10 has withdrawn from Worlds, for good reason. he has had an extremely difficult year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    D10 has withdrawn from Worlds, for good reason. he has had an extremely difficult year.
    Sorry to hear that but thanks for the info.

Hope Dennis comes back healthy and strong for next season.

vCash
    What individual medalists (in all disciplines) are attending?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast