Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Adelina "downgraded" to alternate for Worlds

Looks like she isn't competing. I know this has been mentioned in the Worlds thread, but thought it was worth posting here.

http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20140306/732576273.html Official Russian statement

http://www.thewire.com/culture/2014/...e-chew/358880/ Commentary about motivation for this
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Downgraded? Were V/T downgraded as well? Or just listed there in case they change their mind (which I think is the more likely case). No downgrade, if anything- it's a benefit of being a gold medalists for Russia.

I don't think V/T or Adelina are alternates in the "if someone gets hurt, we'll be there" case. I think they are alternates in the "they don't plan to go, but if they change their mind, we are pulling one of our skaters" sense.

vCash
    Thanks. Well, at least Adelina can say that she retired as *the* Olympic ladies champ (unofficial retirement, as this is not official yet). She won't go out as a Worlds silver medalist or worse. Her marketability will remain high in Russia & Japan...anywhere but N.Am.

There is so much talent among Russian juniors that I don't see Adelina or even Julia making the Russian team for the 2018 Olympics, unless miracles occur, puberty-monsters killed. The era of the many-years gold medalists ended with the 'new' judging system. Take that one gold and run, Adelina!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    And, this allows them to do shows and other committments without having to worry about eligibility issues. Russia learned their lession with Plushenko after 2010. I find the whole downgrading thing hysterical.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Downgraded? Were V/T downgraded as well? Or just listed there in case they change their mind (which I think is the more likely case). No downgrade, if anything- it's a benefit of being a gold medalists for Russia.

I don't think V/T or Adelina are alternates in the "if someone gets hurt, we'll be there" case. I think they are alternates in the "they don't plan to go, but if they change their mind, we are pulling one of our skaters" sense.
    ITA. Has this--listing someone as an alternate who is clearly not an alternate!-- been done before though? I was kind of surprised at it.

In any case, an Olympic gold medalist not going to Worlds is hardly being downgraded.

I think it makes sense for Adelina to concentrate on her win rather than putting all her effort in to Worlds. I remember Yu Na after 2010 said it was very hard to come back for Worlds after winning Oly gold.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Thanks. Well, at least Adelina can say that she retired as *the* Olympic ladies champ (unofficial retirement, as this is not official yet).
    I don't think she is retiring. I fully expect to see her skate next year.
    I think she is skipping worlds. That is pretty common for Olympic gold medalists.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    That second article in the original post is crap. She isn't "ducking" Worlds. And she has nothing to prove. Her skate says it all. I'm one who thinks it could have justifiably been judged differently but that doesn't mean Adelina has anything to prove. She skated spectacularly.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I don't think she is retiring. I fully expect to see her skate next year.
    I think she is skipping worlds. That is pretty common for Olympic gold medalists.
    I agree and if expert skater/judge/journalist and supreme wannabe David Lease sees if differently Adelina has nothing to worry about.

This is the same guy who said Wagner belongs on the US Olympic team because she could medal in Sochi. Ha, ha what a dumb-ass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    This is the same guy who said Wagner belongs on the US Olympic team because she could medal in Sochi. Ha, ha what a dumb-ass.
    Well, she was 7th overall not 22nd. It's not inconceivable to think several higher-ranked skaters could have had melt downs. Dave didn't say she was a medal favorite, but that she had an outside chance at the podium. I really don't see how this result invalidates his point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Thanks. Well, at least Adelina can say that she retired as *the* Olympic ladies champ (unofficial retirement, as this is not official yet). She won't go out as a Worlds silver medalist or worse. Her marketability will remain high in Russia & Japan...anywhere but N.Am.

There is so much talent among Russian juniors that I don't see Adelina or even Julia making the Russian team for the 2018 Olympics, unless miracles occur, puberty-monsters killed. The era of the many-years gold medalists ended with the 'new' judging system. Take that one gold and run, Adelina!
    It must be nice to be able to predict the future. Can you share the winning lottery numbers with us, too?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Well, she was 7th overall not 22nd. It's not inconceivable to think several higher-ranked skaters could have had melt downs. Dave didn't say she was a medal favorite, but that she had an outside chance at the podium. I really don't see how this result invalidates his point.
    Lease desperately wants in with US Skating rather than being an objective journalist. Johnny and Tara want in with NBC. The opinions of such people have to be taken for what they are worth.
    In my book, not very much.

BTW, no disrespect meant towards Ashley who skated pretty well in Sochi. 4th in the team event (which along with Abbott doomed USA to third) and 7th in the individual is respectable enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    BTW, no disrespect meant towards Ashley who skated pretty well in Sochi. 4th in the team event (which along with Abbott doomed USA to third) and 7th in the individual is respectable enough.
    Yes, that was my point. Of all arguments to use, this was -inducing.

vCash

http://izvestia.ru/news/567083

I'm going off terrible Russian & google translate, but I believe that's just what Mozer & Piseev say here - the final decision hasn't been made, they are waiting to see how the athletes feel and the final team announcement will be after March 10.

vCash
    It'd be a real bummer not see Sotnikova at worlds.

vCash
    If you look at history, a number of Olympic Ladies' champions have had either marginal performances at Worlds or have relatively speaking, imploded. That includes Sarah Hughes and Yuna Kim. Can we call Sotnikova the Russian Sarah Hughes?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    If you look at history, a number of Olympic Ladies' champions have had either marginal performances at Worlds or have relatively speaking, imploded. That includes Sarah Hughes and Yuna Kim. Can we call Sotnikova the Russian Sarah Hughes?
    Evan Sarah was more accomplished the Adelina. If Adelina retires she goes down as the worst Olympic Gold medalist ever. And Sarah didn't go to Worlds after the Olympics in 2002.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Where has anyone gotten the idea she is going to retire? Or is that just a wish some have?

vCash
    I really don't want her to retire because she has so much potential. What she DESPERATELY needs is different choreographic and stylistic input.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Sarah Hughes did not go to to 2002 Worlds.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    I really don't want her to retire because she has so much potential. What she DESPERATELY needs is different choreographic and stylistic input.
    Well the only thing I've seen is her saying she wants to win Euros and Worlds and gold, gold, gold! That doesn't sount like retirement to me. I expect her to be around and her skating will mature. She's got plenty of talent.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast