Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

From Russia with love: Sochi (late Dec. 2013) through Sochi 2014

Practice videos from Russian Nationals in Sochi (competition runs from Dec. 24-27, 2013): http://www.youtube.com/user/mihsersh/videos

(Competition play-by-play and results discussion threads will be in the 2013/14 Other Nationals forum in Kiss and Cry.)

ETA event schedule for Tuesday, December 24 (times are local; Sochi is 9 hours ahead of Eastern time):

14:00 Men Short Program
    17:45 Pairs Short Program
    20:00 Short Dance

Posted in the Russian Nationals info thread in the Kiss and Cry forum yesterday:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    A. Martiusheva/A. Rogonov have withdrawn as she suffered a hip injury.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-24-2013 at 06:28 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    A few more practice videos, including Plushenko today (Tuesday) and his new "Tango de Roxanne" SP, plus Tuktamysheva on Monday: http://www.youtube.com/user/Svetapoln/videos
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm really looking forward to Mens Russian Nationals later on this evening. I was very impressed to watch Zhenya land a 4/3/2 combo. in practice the other day.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EVGENI!!!!

vCash

vCash
    I'm watching this link: http://live.russia.tv/index/index/channel_id/2

They're showing Evgeni in the ballet room, shirtless (lots of tats), jumping and practicing. Doing a special on him obviously, fascinating, don't understand a word but that's okay.

vCash
    I am not seeing anything live. I tried two channels including NadineWhite's. The other I accessed is showing basketball. The results page is not showing any results, just the skating order. Mens SP must be over by now (it's 2 hours past the starting time there).

ETA: All is well. It has just started.
    Last edited by Vash01; 12-24-2013 at 10:15 AM.

vCash
    http://moetv.ucoz.ru/index/sport_2/0-129

Men sp just started, 2pm Sochi time

vCash
    Thanks seniorita

I was trying all those posted over in the K&C portion, but didn't hit pay dirt till you posted yours.

ps: am unable to quote, multi-quote, edit, etc. (hopefully will be resolved soon; been going on for about a month now).

vCash

vCash
    I m hoping Plush is having this program as a practice to his Lp? Cause it is partly same music, otherwise how can he jump still is beyond me.

vCash
    I am so impressed by Plush for his technical mastery and for making such a staggeringly impressive return with his jumps. It is for this reason though, that I am quite puzzled by the fact that he and his team seems to be putting so little genuine effort at crafting his programs and utilizing music. It is, in effect, saying "the music and programs do not really matter as much" - which, actually, seems to be true. I realize that would be quite a tall order, but it just seems striking to me.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Just chiming in to say hurray for my boy Voronov! 3rd after the short....I know he isn't the upper crust in artistry but I've always pulled for him because I like the underdog sometimes. And there's just something about him that tugs at my heart. I hope he medals.

vCash
    Plushenko's winning SP (98.41): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUdWN7fRvZM

Stolbova/Klimov's 1st place SP (75.55): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITQQbLcxiVQ
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-24-2013 at 03:57 PM.

vCash
    I am thrilled for Plushenko. At age 31, he is beating most who are at least 10 years younger than him. I just hope he stays healthy for Sochi, but first he has to win the Russian nationals. He has just 5 point lead over Kovtun.

vCash
    No matter what I think/thought of Plushenko coming back, again, I am impressed. Really impressed. His ability to do those jumps, as if he was a decade younger, is truly fantastic, especially in light of all the injuries he's endured over the years. I hope he stays healthy because it would be an amazing moment for him to compete at the Olympics at home if he earned that right.

vCash
    I will say it again..the "story" of Plushenko doing well and skating well in his home country at age 31 and after numerous physical problems-even medaling-is such a great story that it perhaps overshadows his qualities as a skater. I can well understand the enthusiasm for the story and share it to an extent. He's a great jumper. But there is more to it than jumping. I don't want to be negative about him. I just don't think that "the story" should overwhelm the quality of each skater being judged individually. If Plushy wins fair and square-good for him. If he's just a PR tool for the sport when others skater better....might be better for the sport anyway. It'll get more press. Sad but true. I'd personally rather watch paint dry, but if he's good for the sport, maybe that's a good thing. The sport needs it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I will say it again..the "story" of Plushenko doing well and skating well in his home country at age 31 and after numerous physical problems-even medaling-is such a great story that it perhaps overshadows his qualities as a skater. I can well understand the enthusiasm for the story and share it to an extent. He's a great jumper. But there is more to it than jumping. I don't want to be negative about him. I just don't think that "the story" should overwhelm the quality of each skater being judged individually. If Plushy wins fair and square-good for him. If he's just a PR tool for the sport when others skater better....might be better for the sport anyway. It'll get more press. Sad but true. I'd personally rather watch paint dry, but if he's good for the sport, maybe that's a good thing. The sport needs it.
    You ARE being very negative about him. Plushenko is a great skater and a greater competitor. Those who dislike him, for whatever reason, try to diminish his accomplishments. Sure it's a great story but he has earned it through perseverance, will power, and hard work. This is even more creditable than just winning an OGM, and he has done that too, again deservedly so. He made a successful transition from the 6.0 system to COP- something that not many skaters of his generation were able to do. It is a near miracle that he can compete with the top skaters in the world at this age, and after competing at the senior level for 16 years. Give credit where it's due.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I am so impressed by Plush for his technical mastery and for making such a staggeringly impressive return with his jumps. It is for this reason though, that I am quite puzzled by the fact that he and his team seems to be putting so little genuine effort at crafting his programs and utilizing music. It is, in effect, saying "the music and programs do not really matter as much" - which, actually, seems to be true. I realize that would be quite a tall order, but it just seems striking to me.
    Unfortunately COP puts less emphasis on musical interpretation. It has affected all disciplines but the worst effect was on pairs. Mens eligible skating was always about athleticism first, artistry is nice if you have that too. Fans may want more artistry but it doesn't work that way when it comes to competition. I for one admire the athleticism, particularly in singles skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    You ARE being very negative about him. Plushenko is a great skater and a greater competitor. Those who dislike him, for whatever reason, try to diminish his accomplishments. Sure it's a great story but he has earned it through perseverance, will power, and hard work. This is even more creditable than just winning an OGM, and he has done that too, again deservedly so. He made a successful transition from the 6.0 system to COP- something that not many skaters of his generation were able to do. It is a near miracle that he can compete with the top skaters in the world at this age, and after competing at the senior level for 16 years. Give credit where it's due.

There are quite a lot of skaters which I prefere stylewise over Plushenko, but after his SP at Nats there is nothing left to say for me except AMAZING. Itís annoying that some people are unable to assess a skaterís achievement objectively just because it is not their favourite.

vCash
    I am NOT being negative! You are an uber fan. You cannot be objective. Just because he is not my favorite does not mean I don't respect him and wish him well and totally admire his incredible will. ( BTW-There are thousands of cancer patients battling the disease who show the same will power and preserverence. They just don't get medals...) This is exactly what I am saying-the story supercedes the quality of the skating. I'm being objective. I am just saying that his story is quite possibly of more impact and beneficial to skating than his actual superiority (or lack thereof) of his skating. We are all going to have different opinions on who moves us and who we like as skaters. I believe that people who don't agree with you that he is the be and end all of skaters are always wrong-you don't allow for difference of opinion. But I AM saying that regardless of how I feel about his skating, his story could be very good for the sport. How in any rational manner can that be negative? I'm paying him a supreme compliment! So if I don't think he's the greatest thing ever on skates, I am totally wrong? Very broadminded, accepting and tolerant of you!

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast