Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Thank you. Just because they made up, that doesn't mean domestic violence is something to laugh off. I'd have hoped that more people would be aware of that.
    Oh let's back up! I wasn't gonna chime in but now I will. Let's be honest here. Domestic violence when you are in the public eye is different than when you are a private citizen. Different in how the media covers it and different in how the general public reacts as a whole. Even more so if the abuser is forgiven and the couple reconcile. Also, in the vein of Chris Brown, still a popular musician, a new hot album and the public/media at large all but forget about your past. And the cycle can begin again. My point is, we can be outraged, but let's not get it twisted and be naive in behaving as if that celebrity/stardom doesn't make a difference(a difference the media and by way the general public as a whole obviously seems to more forgiving of). Not even to mention the stigma/double standard of same sex domestic violence, especially in relationships between men. Not saying it's right, just pointing out that things are far less copacetic than what some would have it seem.

Just my $.02

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Really disappointing that Johnny would do this sort of thing. Especially since his stock seems to be rising, being an abuser is bad news.
    Allegedly. Since the charges were withdrawn by the person who made them, and none of us were in the room when the incident happened, we can't know for sure can we?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Allegedly. Since the charges were withdrawn by the person who made them, and none of us were in the room when the incident happened, we can't know for sure can we?
    Well, even if he was prosecuted, we couldn't know for sure, could we?

vCash
    Johnny Weir appeared in court today for allegedly biting his husband during a domestic dispute.
    People don't just bite for the hell of it. Biting is a defense mechanism that adults use when fearful. I remember that being discussed at length with both Mike Tyson and Chris Brown. Knowing this, it makes me wonder what really happened in that situation. I'm not blaming anyone, but I am really curious. We laugh and joke about biting being this b*tch move, but you have to be in some horrible state if you're biting someone.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Wonder where he bit him?
    You've got Victor mixed up with John Bobbitt.

"Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be.........."

vCash
    I was wondering why Viktor, who is Russian, did not accompany Johnny to Sochi. Maybe Johnny didn't want him to be there?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Well, even if he was prosecuted, we couldn't know for sure, could we?
    No - but he is not "officially" an abuser as was said in the post that I quoted unless proven guilty, and he was not even tried in a court of law. I realize it's a tricky situation (thinking back on the Woody Allen thread, for example) but I hate to see people tried and convicted in the court of public opinion with no basis on known fact.

vCash
    No - but he is not "officially" an abuser as was said in the post that I quoted unless proven guilty, and he was not even tried in a court of law. I realize it's a tricky situation (thinking back on the Woody Allen thread, for example) but I hate to see people tried and convicted in the court of public opinion with no basis on known fact.
    And I think that's why, after Victor tweeted about it, many of the fans kept quiet. Because the court of public opinion is very quick to jump to conclusions, and the only thing we know is that Victor called the police on Johnny. I remember that Emma Roberts was arrested for domestic violence, and I think the story was that she AND her boyfriend had been violent with each other, but since he had more obvious marks (bite marks), he called the police and had her arrested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I don't think domestic violence is funny, but I do think this sounds like a total b*tchfight that reinforces just about every bad stereotype . Is this really a matter for the police and courts? Sounds more like two self-indulgent drama queens to me.
    Totally, totally agree.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Did you actually read my post? I said I was disappointed in Johnny, but I also actually questioned Victor too.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Gay or not, domestic violence against men is not taken as seriously as domestic violence against women, and that's not an especially high bar.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I was wondering why Viktor, who is Russian, did not accompany Johnny to Sochi. Maybe Johnny didn't want him to be there?
    Or they could have feared provoking the Russian anti-gay "propaganda" law even further than just Johnny being there alone.

vCash
    Hopefully all is well...but I'm concerned because theirs is a high-profile gay marriage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl;4197769It was Victor who made the whole thing public. He tweeted that he could "finally breathe again" after going to Atlanta. He tweeted a bunch of photos of them and said something like, "Johnny, it's just you and me kid. For better or for worse." [I'm paraphrasing
    A lot of stuff to suggest that there were problems, and to get people talking about it. Johnny didn't do anything except stop gushing about Victor and (significantly) stop wearing his wedding ring for a while. That is not a person who is seeking attention for this.
    I don't know who is guilty here, but I agree with the person who said it's quite possible that it's not just a case of Victor being the poor innocent victim and Johnny stalking him like Sleeping With the Enemy. It could have even been self-defense. All we know is that Victor is the one who called the police.

Victor's behavior, as you describe it and as reported, raises my internal eyebrow (so to speak). Yet, I'm very aware that there is a long, dishonorable tradition of blaming the victim in disputes such as this. Especially when the accused has more power, money, or social position--as is certainly the case here. So it's hard to draw any conclusion.

I hope they can work through whatever issues they may have. If it's a toxic relationship, though, harmful to one or both parties, ending it could be the best answer.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Did you actually read my post? I said I was disappointed in Johnny, but I also actually questioned Victor too.
    Yes. You said: "Really disappointing that Johnny would do this sort of thing. Especially since his stock seems to be rising, being an abuser is bad news." Questioning Victor (which you did) does not negate the accusatory tone of that first sentence. Maybe you didn't mean it to sound like you think Johnny is an abuser, but to me it did. If I misunderstood, then I apologize, but it still goes to my point about the court of public opinion.

vCash
    When I look at this thread, I see two kinds of responses downplaying the incident:

1. Perceiving what happened as not serious or even humorous.

2. Excusing what happened because of what preceded the altercation.

And that's exactly why domestic violence isn't taken seriously and is extremely hard to prosecute, so well done everyone.

I don't think domestic violence is funny, but I do think this sounds like a total b*tchfight that reinforces just about every bad stereotype . Is this really a matter for the police and courts? Sounds more like two self-indulgent drama queens to me.
    'I don't think domestic violence is funny, but [a joke follows].' Yes, violence is a matter for the police and the courts.

(Also, your internalised homophobia makes me sad.)

Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    People don't just bite for the hell of it. Biting is a defense mechanism that adults use when fearful. I remember that being discussed at length with both Mike Tyson and Chris Brown. Knowing this, it makes me wonder what really happened in that situation. I'm not blaming anyone, but I am really curious. We laugh and joke about biting being this b*tch move, but you have to be in some horrible state if you're biting someone.
    Whatever preceded that incident doesn't make it acceptable, though.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-05-2014 at 06:42 PM.

vCash
    Yes. You said: "Really disappointing that Johnny would do this sort of thing. Especially since his stock seems to be rising, being an abuser is bad news." Questioning Victor (which you did) does not negate the accusatory tone of that first sentence. Maybe you didn't mean it to sound like you think Johnny is an abuser, but to me it did. If I misunderstood, then I apologize, but it still goes to my point about the court of public opinion.
    I find it highly unlikely that Johnny did not bite him. What surrounded that situation, of course, I do not know.

2. Excusing what happened because of what preceded the altercation.
    What if what proceeded the altercation was Victor throwing a glass at Johnny? We have NO IDEA. All we know is Victor called the cops first. I'm not a fan of violence, but I certainly see it being slightly more acceptable if it is out of self-defense. We have no way of knowing if this was or wasn't. If the charge had not been dropped, what happened would have come up; but you can never treat what happens in a courtroom as absolute truth.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 03-05-2014 at 07:04 PM.

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by judiz; 03-05-2014 at 06:25 PM.

vCash
    100% agree with this. Domestic violence is terrible and a real problem, but I think it to classify this incident as domestic violence is a liberal knee-jerk overreaction.*

*I am gay and liberal so I can say that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    100% agree with this. Domestic violence is terrible and a real problem, but I think it to classify this incident as domestic violence is a liberal knee-jerk overreaction.*
    So it's not domestic violence unless somebody has a black eye? Or do they have to spend at least one day in hospital?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast