Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    This is the only point I was trying to make above.

V&M probably already decided that they weren't going to compete next year. But with W/P winning a medal at Worlds, and our other two teams of G/P and P/I getting into the Top 10, Tessa & Scott can feel secure that Canadian dance is in good hands, and this probably just confirms their original decision and they can feel good.
    That's a far cry from what you were arguing above. There's a big difference between being happy Canadian ice dance is in good hands if you retire and deciding to retire so you won't stand in the way of a weaker team (something you mentioned several times in only a few pages). If you've changed your position, that's fine, but the posts are still there to be read.

I'm sorry if I'm a little agressive about this but fans pushing skaters to retire is something I can't stand. Every skater has invested so much time, money and effort to be able to perform in this sport and they should be able to decide if they want to continue or not. And it's especially disrespectful to a generational talent like V/M to basically be told to leave so they can give a chance to skaters who aren't good enough to beat them directly. (Or, in your case, being sure V/M will do the right thing and step aside, which is a passive-agressive way of saying the same thing). I don't even think V/M want to come back but between Skate Canada's pre-Worlds article that "retired" them and some other comments, it feels like they're being pushed out regardless.

Ok, I'm done, getting off my soapbox. Is anyone going to SOI in Halifax? I'm curious to see what a self-choreographed V/M program looks like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    Ok, I'm done, getting off my soapbox. Is anyone going to SOI in Halifax? I'm curious to see what a self-choreographed V/M program looks like.
    From what I've seen from tweets of people that saw it in Japan, it's like a mixture of their SD, FD, and a little of Stay lol. But I'm curious to see what Top Hat looks like.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    That's a far cry from what you were arguing above. There's a big difference between being happy Canadian ice dance is in good hands if you retire and deciding to retire so you won't stand in the way of a weaker team (something you mentioned several times in only a few pages). If you've changed your position, that's fine, but the posts are still there to be read.
    I think perhaps you are mistaking my previous posts or taking them out of context. Some of the posts you quoted are from an Ice Dance thread about next season where some of us were talking about W&P's chances. We didn't say V&M should be forced to retire - we said we are faced with a system that often doesn't let a team from one country onto a podium until the previous one has gone. That's why the word 'allowed' was put in quotation marks. The judges will often not 'allow' one skater to move ahead of another until they deem it appropriate politically. I hope that I have explained it better now.

As I said above, I think V&M had probably already decided not to do Worlds or come back next year. People assumed they were leaving because it sounded like that earlier in the season. When I listened to the commentary on CBC and NBC at the Olympics after Tessa & Scott skated, Tracy Wilson said it was probably their last skate, and she has been a big supporter of them since they were kids.

vCash
    I think perhaps you are mistaking my previous posts or taking them out of context. Some of the posts you quoted are from an Ice Dance thread about next season where some of us were talking about W&P's chances. We didn't say V&M should be forced to retire - we said we are faced with a system that often doesn't let a team from one country onto a podium until the previous one has gone. That's why the word 'allowed' was put in quotation marks. The judges will often not 'allow' one skater to move ahead of another until they deem it appropriate politically. I hope that I have explained it better now.
    Every single post I quoted was from this thread. I understand the concept of waiting your turn very well, thank you. You didn't say V/M should be forced to retire, you said that W/P would probably be blocked from the podium if V/M returned, that V/M were intelligent enough to know that and would not want to be in the way of their friends' success. You then repeated this many times for good measure. I consider that to be a passive-agressive way of saying that the right thing to do would be to step aside. If that's not the case, I'll admit I don't quite understand why you'd be so adamant that V/M don't want to be in the way of W/P. At the very least, it comes across as a projection of your own feelings on the matter.

Look, this is silly and in the grand scheme of things, unimportant. Let's just leave it.
    Last edited by Zazy; 04-25-2014 at 02:45 AM.

vCash
    I agree. I won't say much else about it. I kind of wish I hadn't gotten sucked into the topic.

All I'll say here is that it was interesting to see that interview from Global today which confirms that V&M are talking about how W&P are doing well and that they are leaving a strong legacy of Canadian dance in their hands.

Btw, I'm not even a big fan of Kaitlyn Weaver. It's taken me several years to warm up to her, because she used to kind of come off a bit rude when she first moved to Canada some years back. I've started to warm up to her more over the past year, but it took me some time. Andrew Poje just seems easier to get along with and more easy-going.

vCash
    Btw, I'm not even a big fan of Kaitlyn Weaver. It's taken me several years to warm up to her, because she used to kind of come off a bit rude when she first moved to Canada some years back. I've started to warm up to her more over the past year, but it took me some time. Andrew Poje just seems easier to get along with and more easy-going.
    And I don't care much for Tessa and Scott as people so there's that. I do care a little too much about their skating, maybe.

vCash
    It does make sense to take it slow. If, and it's a big if, they wanna come back, they need new coach, new rink and a whole new support system. It can't be said and done in a snap. So let's wait and see.

vCash
    Yes, because if they come back they will probably start with a new coach, since it's been reported here that they sold their condos in Michigan and moved back to Canada. So presumably that means they won't be with Marina Z. again. Would probably be a new approach with a fresh coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by forthewin View Post
    It does make sense to take it slow. If, and it's a big if, they wanna come back, they need new coach, new rink and a whole new support system. It can't be said and done in a snap. So let's wait and see.
    Yes. This made returning more difficult for them. And I hope will they compete or no will depend from there inner feelings and not from outside pressure
    They tired during all that years and maybe thinking about without all that traning life will be easy. Then they need to find sponsors. So all look not real, but will see. And Scott didn't talk about all season, just about 2014.

The Observer, thanks for keeping this thread on high rates even if you all time talking about WP and how important for VM to retire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    The Observer, thanks for keeping this thread on high rates even if you all time talking about WP and how important for VM to retire.
    Well, as explained above, that was not the purpose of my discussion, so I hope it didn't come across that way to other V&M fans.

Anyway, what was different about Tessa & Scott when they won Olympic Gold in 2010 is that they were the youngest gold medalists in dance history. And for that reason it kind of made sense for them to want to keep going when they were so young and had so many competitive years left. And Christopher Dean gave them high praise in 2010 and said he thought what they did was even better than his own Bolero program with Jayne Torvill in 1984.

vCash
    Oh dear, this thread is getting a little emotional again. The Observer, to me your comments came off completely fine. I desperately want V/M to say in (like... desperately) but I get what you're saying, and more or less agree with your points. And hey, as pani point outs, at least it's keeping the thread bumped

vCash
    TS on Halifax Morning News http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SruXhgOPWyA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Ice Princess* View Post
    TS on Halifax Morning News http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SruXhgOPWyA
    Thank you!

Oh dear, this thread is getting a little emotional again. The Observer, to me your comments came off completely fine. I desperately want V/M to say in (like... desperately) but I get what you're saying, and more or less agree with your points. And hey, as pani point outs, at least it's keeping the thread bumped
    I have only 1 problem - better to discuss WP future in WP thread
    And like i said before, i hope when TS will be thinking about there future they will pay attention only to there inner feelings, motivations and their desires.
    After all FS only become better, when Savchenko-Szelkovi, Pang-Tong, Shen-Zhao, Pechalat-Bourzat didnt reteir and competed so many years.

Back to the topic. Wish all the best to all, who will be at CSOI today. Hope you will enjoy show and will have great time.
    Also hope to read any reports from tonight CSOI premiere

vCash
    I have only 1 problem - better to discuss WP future in WP thread
    Yes, I think posting these thoughts in the W/P thread would have been much better for everyone. That was my original point but I got carried away. Sorry.

vCash
    So what is our next thread title to be ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    So what is our next thread title to be ?
    Something about CSOI?

vCash
    And like i said before, i hope when TS will be thinking about there future they will pay attention only to there inner feelings, motivations and their desires.
    Yes, I think that is what Tessa & Scott are taking time for right now.

vCash
    Something about CSOI?
    Into the Mystic?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbs View Post
    Into the Mystic?
    If its going to be about their exhibition skate, maybe "Modern day Fred and Ginger" because they are also skating/skated to "Top Hat, White Tie and Tails" and that is what an announcer called them once. Or 'putting on their Top Hat.'

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I like Into the Mystic. I think it's more personal to them according to their explanation in that article and symbolic of this stage they are in.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast