Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 720 of 1012
  1. #701
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    113
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Suggesting that V/M and Chan aren't household names in Canada is straight-up false, and many, many people were literally changing channels from the hockey games or tuning in on their phones to watch both of them skate. And you talk about people knowing women's hockey players as if it's a bad thing. After 6 Olympics and 4 gold medals I sure hope everyone and their dog knows who Hayley Wickenheiser is, because otherwise it says a lot about society's misogyny. Recognising talented athletes isn't zero-sum, you can know who V/M are AND know that Marie-Philip Poulin is incredibly clutch.

    I don't get this need to indict Skate Canada, anyways. Sure, in retrospect they could have done more politicking. But Tessa & Scott have spoken many times about the tremendous support they got from SC when things weren't going so smoothly with Zoueva. V/M certainly make it sound like the federation rallied around them and offered all the resources they needed; it's not as if they hung them out to dry.

  2. #702

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    627
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6127
    Well, it seems like a lot of D&W fans are annoyed that the US gave so much coverage and ad time to Gracie and Ashley, two promising skaters who have yet to win a World medal, instead of leading with their best bet - D&W. Personally, that's not the politicking I care about.

    I hope Skate Canada works hard behind the scenes - having their tech specialists be as vocal as Judy Bloomberg promoting the obvious strengths of their teams. It seemed the US had articles these last few years citing dance experts breaking down the dances - somehow always seeing the strengths of D&W and I remember one questioning the connection of V&M (I think during Carmen). Where was our rebuttal?

    I have read that the ISU is looking at changes that will reward more "dance" in the programs going forward. Good. I hope Skate Canada has their ear to the ground and can really lead their dancers and their coaches in what will be rewarded this year. There may be many reasons V&M have had to do so many changes to their programs over these last few seasons, going forward I hope these initial training camps iron more of that out. If I recall correctly, D&W scraped at least one program completely after their camp. Better that happen then they compete all year with something that is not well received.

    I agree with kirbs, Tessa and Scott have relied on SC this year and by all accounts they have come though for them. I feel like their profile is higher in Canada, even more then after the gold. They were kids then, they are seasoned veterans now and it seemed everyone wanted to interview them.
    pug lover

  3. #703
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    217
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbs View Post
    And you talk about people knowing women's hockey players as if it's a bad thing. After 6 Olympics and 4 gold medals I sure hope everyone and their dog knows who Hayley Wickenheiser is, because otherwise it says a lot about society's misogyny. Recognising talented athletes isn't zero-sum, you can know who V/M are AND know that Marie-Philip Poulin is incredibly clutch.
    I didn't say people knowing women's hockey players is a bad thing. Take your misogynistic rah rah crap elsewhere. I am trying to make the point that on average, more households (public households, not necessarily FSUers like you) would know a Poulin or Wickenheiser more than V/M. Even more people know the GOALIE. I will bet that more households know a Szabados or Poulin than a V/M.

    Quote Originally Posted by kirbs View Post
    Suggesting that V/M and Chan aren't household names in Canada is straight-up false, and many, many people were literally changing channels from the hockey games or tuning in on their phones to watch both of them skate. And you talk about people knowing women's hockey players as if it's a bad thing. After 6 Olympics and 4 gold medals I sure hope everyone and their dog knows who Hayley Wickenheiser is, because otherwise it says a lot about society's misogyny. Recognising talented athletes isn't zero-sum, you can know who V/M are AND know that Marie-Philip Poulin is incredibly clutch.
    You do not know what you are talking about. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...canadas-682643

    Nearly 13 million Canadians tuned in last Thursday when the Canadian women's hockey team defeated Team USA for the gold medal, including more than 3.1 million viewers via the CBC's online stream.

    The peak minute for the CBC during the women's gold medal game came during the final minutes, with 6.37 million viewers tuning in.

  4. #704
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,056
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Wasn't Tessa was the most googled athelete?Above Sidney Crosby and Wickenheiser?

  5. #705
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    217
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    V/M may have got more fans and youtube views but they are not household names. Actually, not even close. Not being involved in social media doesn't help them either. And their reality show was broadcast on W Network, which you need to pay cable to watch, and being the Women's Network, W Network caters to a select audience. I didn't even know W Network existed before it was announced they were picking up V/M's show.

    Even the woman hockey player who won gold in 2010 and appeared on Battle of the Blades, but got CUT from the 2014 Canadian hockey team is extremely well known, and she didn't even make the team in Sochi.

    Ice hockey and curling are mostly where household names are made of in Canada. The women and men's curling teams are more of a household name.

  6. #706

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    9,148
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36769
    I will take that bet if ever existed. There is NO WAY that more Canadians know who any female hockey player is (except Cassie Campbell or Hayley Wickenheiser) over Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir or Patrick Chan. Especially Tessa Virtue. The idea that Brad friggin' Jacobs or Jennifer friggin' Jones is more well known than Tessa Virtue...not true whatsoever.

  7. #707
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    379
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, apart from someone like Wickenheiser or Poulin, I'd take the bet that they'd know V/M over any female hockey player too. When they went to the hockey match a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of other Olympians (including several female hockey players and curlers), they and Alex Bilodeau by far got the biggest cheers out of everyone.

  8. #708
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,026
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not canadian, but I can tell you, that I polled office coworkers on skating today after reading this thread (because the idea of V/M not being household names in Canada seemed baffling, so I was wondering how they were doing in Iowa), and all but 1 of them could name Tessa (and Meryl), about half could name Scott (a bit higher on Charlie), and 80% of them think Brian Boitano and Michelle Kwan are still skating. None could name Adelina Sotnikova, but about half named Julia Lipnitskaya, all could tell me what her costume looked like. Johnny Weir and Plushenko were the most named mens skaters after Boitano; and no one could name a single pairs skater.

    So, based on that, I have a hard time thinking that in Canada- where they are from, where they won a gold medal at the home olympics, people are not aware of Tessa and Scott as household names.

  9. #709
    recovering Oly-holic
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the frozen, snowy north
    Posts
    1,259
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3166
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I will take that bet if ever existed. There is NO WAY that more Canadians know who any female hockey player is (except Cassie Campbell or Hayley Wickenheiser) over Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir or Patrick Chan. Especially Tessa Virtue. The idea that Brad friggin' Jacobs or Jennifer friggin' Jones is more well known than Tessa Virtue...not true whatsoever.
    My dad is a fan of many sports but has never followed curling. He had heard the name Jennifer Jones and watched during the Olys, mainly to see if Jennifer Jones, curler, looked like Jennifer Jones, actress in the 50's. On the other hand, even though we live in V&M's backyard, he only realized who they were after the Vancouver Olys and so keeps an eye on the sports news for "those skating kids from London".

  10. #710
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    827
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I will take that bet if ever existed. There is NO WAY that more Canadians know who any female hockey player is (except Cassie Campbell or Hayley Wickenheiser) over Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir or Patrick Chan. Especially Tessa Virtue. The idea that Brad friggin' Jacobs or Jennifer friggin' Jones is more well known than Tessa Virtue...not true whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by princeton123 View Post
    Well, apart from someone like Wickenheiser or Poulin, I'd take the bet that they'd know V/M over any female hockey player too. When they went to the hockey match a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of other Olympians (including several female hockey players and curlers), they and Alex Bilodeau by far got the biggest cheers out of everyone.
    I couldn't agree more. Who did Hello Canada and Macleans magazine choose for the covers of their magazines following the Olympics? V/M, and I've seen them on more talk shows than any other Olympian since they returned home. Even if some people can't recall their names all of the time they know who they are.
    Also it was mentioned in the media how so many people stayed tuned in after the hockey game on a Sunday afternoon to follow the SD and V/M.

  11. #711
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    217
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'm not canadian, but I can tell you, that I polled office coworkers on skating today after reading this thread (because the idea of V/M not being household names in Canada seemed baffling, so I was wondering how they were doing in Iowa), and all but 1 of them could name Tessa (and Meryl), about half could name Scott (a bit higher on Charlie), and 80% of them think Brian Boitano and Michelle Kwan are still skating. None could name Adelina Sotnikova, but about half named Julia Lipnitskaya, all could tell me what her costume looked like. Johnny Weir and Plushenko were the most named mens skaters after Boitano; and no one could name a single pairs skater.

    So, based on that, I have a hard time thinking that in Canada- where they are from, where they won a gold medal at the home olympics, people are not aware of Tessa and Scott as household names.
    That doesn't prove much, if true. In fact, this makes me believe that Iowans and most Americans know V/M solely due to D/W. They have heard of V/M mostly only because of D/W. All NBC went on in fluff pieces was how D/W and V/M share same coach, same ice, and oh how tense and dramatic it must be at the rink. So those stats in your workplace don't really surprise me.

    D/W are not Canadians. So Canada doesn't know them.
    Last edited by tourtiere; 04-04-2014 at 03:44 AM.

  12. #712
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    217
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I will take that bet if ever existed. There is NO WAY that more Canadians know who any female hockey player is (except Cassie Campbell or Hayley Wickenheiser) over Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir or Patrick Chan. Especially Tessa Virtue. The idea that Brad friggin' Jacobs or Jennifer friggin' Jones is more well known than Tessa Virtue...not true whatsoever.
    Jennifer Jones is more of a household name than V/M. Ask anyone (NOT just FSUers/skating ubers) if they know who Jennifer Jones is. Hell, Kevin Martin is a curling household name (also more than V/M). Ask anyone if they know who Jennifer Jones and Kevin Martin are, and then ask if they know who V/M are. More will recognize the curlers, Jennifer Jones and Kevin Martin.

    And about the hockey players, there is no comparison. Wickenheiser, Poulin, and probably Szabados are more
    recognized than V/M.

    This is not at all a diss at V/M by any means, it's just that curling and ice hockey are more popular (far more popular) than figure skating.

  13. #713
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,697
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^
    Okay, you're quite sure that Canadians don't know V/M. Virtually every other amateur athlete is better known. We hear you.

  14. #714
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    113
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tourtiere View Post
    V/M may have got more fans and youtube views but they are not household names. Actually, not even close. Not being involved in social media doesn't help them either. And their reality show was broadcast on W Network, which you need to pay cable to watch, and being the Women's Network, W Network caters to a select audience. I didn't even know W Network existed before it was announced they were picking up V/M's show.

    Even the woman hockey player who won gold in 2010 and appeared on Battle of the Blades, but got CUT from the 2014 Canadian hockey team is extremely well known, and she didn't even make the team in Sochi.

    Ice hockey and curling are mostly where household names are made of in Canada. The women and men's curling teams are more of a household name.
    I see you made a lot of conclusions, but on what ground? You didn't provide one single proof of your argument. So all these are not facts but your own assumptions. Try to open your mind and see others' statements with data and facts.

  15. #715
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    595
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, I've been in Canada for over 48 years. I had never heard of Jones or Martin before Sochi. I don't know any of the current hockey players' names, other than Crosby. I don't follow hockey or curling, and I would bet my bottom dollar than I'm not alone out here. However, I do follow skating. My children (all grown) are avid hockey fans, but still know exactly who Tess and Scott are. So I am not sure where tourtière's info comes from, but I would suggest his/ hers is no more reliable than mine, IMHO.

  16. #716
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    217
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by forthewin View Post
    I see you made a lot of conclusions, but on what ground? You didn't provide one single proof of your argument. So all these are not facts but your own assumptions. Try to open your mind and see others' statements with data and facts.
    Facts? Like V/M were covered and featured in a MacLean's magazine? Ok yes, they were. And so were the women's hockey team (and the men's too) on the front cover too. And probably all the gold medal winners.

    Curling and ice hockey is far more popular than figure skating. Curling and ice hockey cover wider demographics among Canadians than figure skating (the majority is women).

    I also believe that more women in Canada follow ice hockey than figure skating.

  17. #717
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    595
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I forgot to add, while their reality tv show was being aired, Tess and Scott's photo was plastered on transit systems and billboards in many major cities. So I think a lot more Canadians may be aware of them than tortiere knows.

  18. #718
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,697
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^ Curling?

  19. #719
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    217
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Curling is loved by men and women, whereas figure skating fans are mostly women.

    I believe that more women watch and follow ice hockey than figure skating in Canada.

  20. #720
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    113
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tourtiere View Post
    Facts? Like V/M were covered and featured in a MacLean's magazine? Ok yes, they were. And so were the women's hockey team (and the men's too) on the front cover too. And probably all the gold medal winners.

    Curling and ice hockey is far more popular than figure skating. Curling and ice hockey cover wider demographics among Canada than figure skating (the majority is women).

    I also believe that more women in Canada follow ice hockey than figure skating.
    I'm not sure I would call curling more popular, but it's definitely around the same. For the most part though, people only know the names of the skips-- everyone might know Jennifer Jones or Team Jacobs or Team Martin, but very few could tell you who makes up the rest of the team.

    And I don't think you're wrong about more women following hockey than figure skating, but I don't think that's very relevant, either. Tessa & Scott are household names, but it's not because everyone's an avid ice dance fan. It's because they're successful, attractive young people with beautiful programs who have performed their best when the attention was on them, and plenty of people are convinced they'll wind up married. I don't think a very large percentage of people know much about figure skating or follow it apart from nats/worlds if they happen to be on tv when it's convenient, but they still know who Tessa & Scott are and care about them. Like the Sportsnet radio announcer who went on an embarrassing 20-minute rant about a conspiracy that he clearly did not understand worth a lick. As for viewership, figure skating is obviously not a very viewer-friendly sport for someone who only cares about one team, so it's natural that viewership would be lower-- not many casual fans who don't understand the sport are going to sit through two or three hours of skaters just for one routine, they'll just youtube it or wait until primetime highlights.

Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •