Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I feel like it's implying W&P wouldn't be allowed onto the podium as long as V&M skated. At Worlds, W&P finished second, ie V&M could have won gold and W&P could still be on the podium with bronze, but SC seems to be hinting that wasn't possible and that now that V&M are out of the way W&P can absorb some of their marks. That's only how I see it, of course, but it does a disservice to both teams IMO.
    But I think there was actually truth to this. I think there was no way the Europeans were going to let three North American teams on the podium. Look at the Shibs freak out. I do think that W/P should have had that bronze not Shibs but after that it was no way. I think W/P were not gotten the scores at Worlds/Olympics they would have gotten if they were a European team and two other N.American teams weren't dominating.

So I do think Skate Canada is trying to say, look this team has probably deserved to be on the podium before now will you give them some credit.

Its not meant to disrespect V/M, its not V/M's fault.

This happens the Soviets were never allowed to sweep Pairs etc and I don't think they ever swept dance either at the Olympics.

vCash
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/1a9c2fdd3...3o5_r1_250.gif

So, whoever finishes on the podium in the same place as Tessa and Scott did last year, it means they are just as good as Tessa and Scott, doesn't it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post

So, whoever finishes on the podium in the same place as Tessa and Scott did last year, it means they are just as good as Tessa and Scott, doesn't it?
    Do you think it was a slight against Tessa and Scott? I don't think he meant it in a bad way. I don't know.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    No.

vCash
    I don't think it was meant as a slight at all. Andrew and Scott have known each other since they were in school, and Scott has made reference to their friendship going back to that time. I prefer to think he was being gracious and grateful for what Tess and Scott have done over the years.

vCash
    Absolutely,girlscouse

W/P have always had high praise for V/M ,and looked to them for inspiration. They've always been very relaxed and friendly - on podiums , out-of-competition vids , etc. , and Kaitlyn said Hi to Tessa from the KnC after both the SD and the free programs , here.

No need to manufacture anything...

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Kaitlyn had just finished talking about how great Tessa and Scott were, how they paved the road for the rest of them and made them want to better themselves. So Andrew followed that with the podium comment which I think clearly implies he is saying how it's an honour to be standing where they were last year.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post

You are unbelievable. W-P were nothing but gracious. They didn't need to praise V-M and yet, they did it because that's how much they respect them. Posts like this are why they call us all crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    You are unbelievable. W-P were nothing but gracious. They didn't need to praise V-M and yet, they did it because that's how much they respect them. Posts like this are why they call us all crazy.
    Or maybe it's replies like yours? 'Looks like if you don't share the opinion of the majority, you will be quickly colored crazy in this thread. Too bad there's so much intolerance around here.

I really don't think that I contributed in any way to the negative reputation of V/M's uber fans. For one thing, I rarely posted in their thread and for another, whenever I did post, I focused on Tessa and Scott's skating and programs like 99 percent of the time. I don't remember ever bashing and trashing their rivals either here or in any other thread and never joined conspiracy theories, much less started them. But nevermind.

vCash
    I don't think implying that W-P were throwing shade at V-M is skating-related, but you believe whatever you want to believe.

vCash
    I feel like this is my fault for asking the question initially. And in all fairness to varbar she really doesn't post in this thread. Besides people think VM fans are crazy no matter what they say which doesn't bother me, but it might others I guess.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Ummm... No. V/M and Poje trained as kids together for years in KW with MacIntosh. They went to the same high school. They grew up together. For the last couple of years with both teams at the elite international level, sometimes in the same competitions, and training in the same city, they've been a good support for each other. W/P had a cameo appearance in V/M TV show. I believe they were having dinner together. Scott is a really strong leader, and I would expect him to encourage and help the teams that come after them, and especially W/P. Of any of the teams, I think W/P have been the most realistic about what they are good at and what they need to work on - what outstanding ice dance looks like, and what is just schlock. There is no other way that they would have made the kind of progress they have over the last few years. They would have a tremendous amount of respect for the talents and genius that are V/M. In fact, I don't know a single ice dance team in Canada that would consider themselves in the same league as V/M. It's universally understood that V/M are unparalleled anywhere in the world, and in a very special league of their own.

vCash
    I'm with Shayii. I think VarBar deserves the benefit of the doubt here because they have always posted respectfully.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Ummm... No. V/M and Poje trained as kids together for years in KW with MacIntosh. They went to the same high school. They grew up together. For the last couple of years with both teams at the elite international level, sometimes in the same competitions, and training in the same city, they've been a good support for each other. W/P had a cameo appearance in V/M TV show. I believe they were having dinner together. Scott is a really strong leader, and I would expect him to encourage and help the teams that come after them, and especially W/P. Of any of the teams, I think W/P have been the most realistic about what they are good at and what they need to work on - what outstanding ice dance looks like, and what is just schlock. There is no other way that they would have made the kind of progress they have over the last few years. They would have a tremendous amount of respect for the talents and genius that are V/M. In fact, I don't know a single ice dance team in Canada that would consider themselves in the same league as V/M. It's universally understood that V/M are unparalleled anywhere in the world, and in a very special league of their own.
    This!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I feel like this is my fault for asking the question initially. And in all fairness to varbar she really doesn't post in this thread. Besides people think VM fans are crazy no matter what they say which doesn't bother me, but it might others I guess.
    Doesn't bother me I am happy to be crazy about TS.

vCash
    I think that WP know that TS shoes are too big to fill.
    Honestly no one on the current circuit can step into them. Some of the teams may have about half their talent if they are lucky. That's why we call TS a once in a generation team.

vCash
    I am interested in how politics works and what anyone knows about what goes on behind the scenes. If I had my way, I wish there was no such thing as politics and it was truly an even playing field with skaters from lesser federations having equal chances. I have witnessed myself at the lower levels the fickleness of Skate Canada where one year a skater is golden and the chosen one and gets a lot of attention (some of it subtle) but it definitely pumps the skater up and sends a message to all that this one is a step above. Sometimes that continues - sometimes they appear to be dropped like a stone and out of the spotlight and that is also obvious to all and I think can affect the way the judging panel views them.

On the world stage I have heard of coaches/federation officials bending the ear of judges, etc. Also, the federation controls, at least to some extent, the media and how the skater/team are perceived publicly and in their press releases and advertisements. It has seemed since Vancouver that the USFA has put their publicity machine strongly behind D&W - had special guests commentate on comparing their dances, etc. I guess I am wondering what Skate Canada could/should have done to show more aggressive support for V&M? Your thoughts??
    pug lover

vCash
    I think it would have helped if they hadn't been so intent on hyping Pchiddy. They always refer to him first, oversell his accomplishments at the expense of Tess and Scott. As though three WCh are a bigger achievement than Oly Gold, 2WCh, and medals at Worlds every year since 2008. Not that I don't love and appreciate him, but I obviously love Tess and Scott more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    I think it would have helped if they hadn't been so intent on hyping Pchiddy. They always refer to him first, oversell his accomplishments at the expense of Tess and Scott. As though three WCh are a bigger achievement than Oly Gold, 2WCh, and medals at Worlds every year since 2008. Not that I don't love and appreciate him, but I obviously love Tess and Scott more
    I always got the impression that SC felt they could only throw 100% support behind one person, and that person was Chan. He was the Canadian no. 1. I could have told them four years ago that this was NOT a wise decision and Chan wouldn't be able to do it in Sochi. I love Patrick, but consistent and strong under pressure he is not.

vCash
    Next up - Osaka shows, April 5-6: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...April-5-6-2014
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast