Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    I'd love to know what happened between V/M and Skate Canada after Vancouver. This whole quad SC has been completely uninterested in supporting its reigning olympic champions, often seeming more intent on promoting much weaker teams like G/P and W/P. You need your federation's support to be successful in ice dance and there are lots of indications out there that they didn't have it this time around. I suspect if V/M ever decide to come back, they'll be put behind W/P no matter how the teams skate.
    The only ice dancer that SC has repeatedly shown their support to is Paul Poirier and whoever he is teamed up with at the time. I don't know why they haven't treated V/M like the National Treasures that they have been and, in my opinion, are and always will be. It's a really weird skating federation up here and sometimes I really don't get it.

How wonderful that Tessa sent a letter to W/P -- truely classy and I think shows how close those two became while in Sochi.

That video of Looking Back almost brought me to tears ... again. They really are a once in a generation -- no make that once in a lifetime -- ice dance team for me. Tessa became the star over these past years yet she was perfectly presented in perfect settings by the most gifted male ice dancer I've ever seen.

As much as Scott has thanked Tessa way back in Vancouver and then reminded her that he loves her in Sochi, I would like to say
    Thank You
    Tessa & Scott for the wonderful years of ice dancing you have given us. I hold out a small ray of hope that you might have more in store for us. If, alas, this is the end, thank you for remaining true to yourselves and to ice dance as a sport.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    Edit: Tessa sent a letter to W/P wishing them good luck maybe that is why Kaitlyn gave her a shoutout
    Where did you see this?
    I'd love to know what happened between V/M and Skate Canada after Vancouver. This whole quad SC has been completely uninterested in supporting its reigning olympic champions, often seeming more intent on promoting much weaker teams like G/P and W/P. You need your federation's support to be successful in ice dance and there are lots of indications out there that they didn't have it this time around. I suspect if V/M ever decide to come back, they'll be put behind W/P no matter how the teams skate.
    Well they have nothing to worry about because talk is Tessa and Scott's condos (or condo) went on sale today in Canton. Honestly I hate SC. They did nothing to help VM while they were still competing and of course now they can't wait for them to retire.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Um, that article was written before the competition started so it was, of course, hyping W&P for a good result in Japan. Also keep in mind when Tessa and Scott said they would not compete in Japan they did so by stating that Canadian ice dance was in good hands.

I hadn't heard about the letter but V&M also called Crone and Poirier to congratulate them on the National title they won in 2011.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    I wouldn't read too much into that press release. SC needed to hype W/P going into Japan. That is all. Although it is written in a way that seems to imply V/M definitely are not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    The only ice dancer that SC has repeatedly shown their support to is Paul Poirier and whoever he is teamed up with at the time.
    What is this all about, anyway? I think he is very talented and I am gaga over the Hitchcock FD, but I have wondered why they seem willing to move mountains for him.

vCash
    Just watched Kaitlyn and Andrew's interview with Scott Russell. It was amazingly gracious of them to give such glowing accolades to Tessa and Scott. Good for them. Even if SC doesn't acknowledge them for the tour de force they have been in the skating world these last 8 years, the skaters do!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Or maybe SC knows more about V&M's future plans than we do?
    Congrats on being the only one with sense in this thread.

Skate Canada can't wait for V/M to retire? Did we just watch the same world championships where the top 3 were separated by 0.06 points? I swear to God...
    Last edited by princeton123; 03-29-2014 at 11:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    What a stupid comment: "For the better part of their career, Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje have been riding shotgun to Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, patiently waiting for their chance to take the wheel."

Andrew is older than Tessa and Scott. Kaitlyn and Tessa are the same age. Both teams made their senior debut at the 2007 Worlds. They didn't need to wait for their chance. They started on equal footing. Many teams have passed others from their countries (like C&B passing Shibs or I&K passing B&S). I'm quite sure V&M would have passed D&L had they stayed another year or two. A federation should not be promoting political BS like "waiting your turn." W&P simply needed to improve their skating, which they have now done, although they're still not on V&M's level, as Kaitlyn said herself at SC.

I guess SC doesn't consider ice dance a sport. This is offensive to both teams, IMO.
    Pretty sure they derived that from W/P's own comments, it's not offensive. It's simply undeniable that V/M have been in a league of their own on the world stage with no one but D/W scoring remotely close, and certainly nationally. Weaver and Poje are well aware of this and seem happy to acknowledge it. I'm sure everyone here agrees that V/M are a once-in-a-generation team, and W/P knew themselves that, while they are an excellent dance team, their peak simply is not as remarkably high as V/M's. The federation isn't "promoting political BS like 'waiting your turn'", it's recounting the reality that W/P have spent their entire career thus far as a world-class team that has been somewhat overshadowed by the fact that they happen to be competing alongside one of the best teams the sport has seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by princeton123 View Post
    Congrats on being the only one with sense in this thread.

Skate Canada can't wait for V/M to retire? Did we just watch the same world championships where the top 3 were separated by 0.06 points? I swear to God...
    Even if Skate Canada knows that V/M aren't coming back, they could at least have treated them with some respect. They can promote W/P without announcing V/M's retirement before they've done it themselves, making it look like they can't wait to move on to another team.

I've never seen a federation do what SC did in this press release. You don't see federations officially hint that their star skaters aren't coming back. Usually it's the other way around, they want to use their names and their potential return to drive interest in the sport.
    Last edited by Zazy; 03-30-2014 at 12:10 AM.

vCash
    Even if Skate Canada knows that V/M aren't coming back, they could at least have treated them with some respect. They can promote W/P without announcing V/M's retirement before they've done it themselves, making it look like they can't wait to move on to another team.

I've never seen a federation do what SC did in this press release. You don't see federations officially hint that their star skaters aren't coming back. Usually it's the other way around, they want to use their names and their potential return to drive interest in the sport.
    Please. Everyone knows that V/M's retirement is all but official. You have their parents on their TV show musing their last Skate Canada. You have CTV airing goodbye promos and montages. You have commentators and coaches lamenting their final competitions. V/M themselves just the other week on Strombo said they weren't 'officially' retired, implying very much that they unofficially were.

This thread is making mountains out of molehills as per usual.

vCash
    Please. Everyone knows that V/M's retirement is all but official. You have their parents on their TV show musing their last Skate Canada. You have CTV airing goodbye promos and montages. You have commentators and coaches lamenting their final competitions. V/M themselves just the other week on Strombo said they weren't 'officially' retired, implying very much that they unofficially were.

Pechalat/Bourzat said Sochi would be their last competition, but they came back for Worlds. Asada and Kostner are now musing they may come back for another season. So until they officially announce their retirement, all the goodbye promos, montages, interviews, etc. mean nothing.

vCash
    Double post

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbs View Post
    Pretty sure they derived that from W/P's own comments, it's not offensive. It's simply undeniable that V/M have been in a league of their own on the world stage with no one but D/W scoring remotely close, and certainly nationally. Weaver and Poje are well aware of this and seem happy to acknowledge it. I'm sure everyone here agrees that V/M are a once-in-a-generation team, and W/P knew themselves that, while they are an excellent dance team, their peak simply is not as remarkably high as V/M's. The federation isn't "promoting political BS like 'waiting your turn'", it's recounting the reality that W/P have spent their entire career thus far as a world-class team that has been somewhat overshadowed by the fact that they happen to be competing alongside one of the best teams the sport has seen.
    I feel like it's implying W&P wouldn't be allowed onto the podium as long as V&M skated. At Worlds, W&P finished second, ie V&M could have won gold and W&P could still be on the podium with bronze, but SC seems to be hinting that wasn't possible and that now that V&M are out of the way W&P can absorb some of their marks. That's only how I see it, of course, but it does a disservice to both teams IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marathongirl76 View Post
    Pechalat/Bourzat said Sochi would be their last competition, but they came back for Worlds. Asada and Kostner are now musing they may come back for another season. So until they officially announce their retirement, all the goodbye promos, montages, interviews, etc. mean nothing.
    Yes, exactly. V/M are most likely retiring but it's not a done deal until they announce it officially. They can do that tomorrow, in a month or never, it's their choice and Skate Canada should respect that. Why are they so eager to announce V/M's retirement?

I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't part of a general pattern of Skate Canada behaviour, but there's clearly been a weird dynamic between V/M and Skate Canada post-Vancouver. Compare to the USFSA with D/W, SC with Chan, Russia with V/T, etc.

vCash
    If it was up to me they would never retire and they would just go on and on thrilling us but I do believe there is wisdom in knowing when the time is right and leaving on your own terms. If this is it for amateur competition for them, they can certainly look back at a magnificent body of work and know how loved they are. Often athletes, for good or bad, give us very vivid lessons on how to handle what life throws at us and they have been and continue to be great examples of passion, hard work, commitment, unity, perseverance - I could go on and on. As sad as I am to think they may be retiring, ice dance has become so incomprehensible the last few years that I am less sad then I thought I would be. I really hope they continue (I know the opportunities are not what they used to be) to perform just for enjoyment - their's and our's. They have fans worldwide. I know I will never love another team as I do them.
    pug lover

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    Just watched Kaitlyn and Andrew's interview with Scott Russell. It was amazingly gracious of them to give such glowing accolades to Tessa and Scott. Good for them. Even if SC doesn't acknowledge them for the tour de force they have been in the skating world these last 8 years, the skaters do!!
    http://merveiyeux.tumblr.com/post/81...-talking-about
    And you're always complaining about anything anybody says if you don't agree with it as per usual. Goodness, let people have their opinions.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Thanks, Shayii. Great gif

vCash
    They are so classy. Love Kaitlyn and Andrew. The future of Canadian ice dance looks exciting.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post

Thanks for sharing pani.
    pug lover

vCash
    never mind.

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast