Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I understand. It makes sense that V&M fans would like to see them back again.

But there is kind of a hierarchy and protocol with regard to rankings in ice dance. And the judges often don't 'allow' the next team in a country to move onto the World podium until the current ones retire. So I think V&M will be reluctant to stand in the way of W&P now that they have moved onto the world podium. The judges might also punish V&M for coming back, and we don't want to see that either.
    I suspect you're right that Tessa and Scott may not want to stand in W/P's way, especially now that they have a shot at the very top. And as much as I just want to enjoy having them around, I'd rather they didn't come back at all than come back and be relegated down the rankings.

vCash
    Very selfishly, I don't care where they are in the rankings. I just want to see them skate. Only three weeks until I see them in Van.

vCash
    This is from Adelina's instagram http://instagram.com/p/nHV9m_NVhm/. Looks like Jordan was in Japan with them--she looks so much like Kate Middleton.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

Sabre-rattler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    ^
    This is true, but as a long-time ice dance lover, I'd really like to see the best. I will greatly miss the quality of V/M's technique and skating skills.

There isn't much incentive for teams to develop the subtle qualities of top-level ice dance that are no longer really valued in the judging system. That's why I'd selfishly like V/M to stay, though I imagine they are ready to move on to other challenges in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Same with me - the worst quad for me was 2002-2006 exept 2003. And after 1998, after epic competition between KO and GP, ice dance become less exiting and even FP-M won gold at WCh.
    I think in next quad we will see some new names on podium (from juniors) and maybe new teams (Siniticina-Katcalapov and Iliynih-Zhiganshin). I dont think this quad all will be about CL, WP , BS and CB. But will see.
    I feel the same. I also felt the terrible void left after the G/P, K/O, A/P era (though I did love D/S and DomShab and the Lithuanians−whom I always wanted BETTER results for−to some extent as well). IMO, the quality of pure ice dancing was really lacking at this past World's. Especially with so many Russian teams splitting as well (in the end, I had become a true fan of I/K), I am feeling very deflated about this coming year or two of ice dance. Though I was very excited to see the level of Hawayek/Baker at Junior Worlds.

On another topic completely, I am wondering if there's any way for an American to watch old episodes of the Tessa & Scott show. I looked for it on DVD at Amazon.ca, but no go. I would have ordered it, no matter the price! I guess they are not making it available. Does anyone know of a way to see it?!
    Like a leaf on the wind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Messalina View Post
    I am wondering if there's any way for an American to watch old episodes of the Tessa & Scott show. I looked for it on DVD at Amazon.ca, but no go. I would have ordered it, no matter the price! I guess they are not making it available. Does anyone know of a way to see it?!
    Well, it was broadcast here in Canada on the W Network (which used to be called the Women's Television Network in its early days). It's possible that the network or company that made it will release it on DVD later this year. It hasn't been that long since it's been broadcast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Messalina View Post
    On another topic completely, I am wondering if there's any way for an American to watch old episodes of the Tessa & Scott show. I looked for it on DVD at Amazon.ca, but no go. I would have ordered it, no matter the price! I guess they are not making it available. Does anyone know of a way to see it?!
    I think it's available on iTunes.

vCash
    I think this page has all the episodes from Tessa and Scott http://vk.com/video?gid=49286267#/vi...album_51129829. I can view it on my iPhone without a problem, but when on a desktop or my laptop it asks you to set up an account or something.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    These links work with a laptop.
    the seven episodes of the Tessa and Scott TV show
    http://nathaliepechalats.tumblr.com/...er-tessa-scott

The last two episodes are to a different website and people have had trouble with them.

Episode 6.
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjcwNDA3Nzky.html

Episode 7
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjcwND...tml?f=21850085

vCash
    https://twitter.com/jill_chappell/st...65052922793984

Tessa & Scott will be on The Morning News tomorrow. With Patrick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bue View Post
    I suspect you're right that Tessa and Scott may not want to stand in W/P's way, especially now that they have a shot at the very top. And as much as I just want to enjoy having them around, I'd rather they didn't come back at all than come back and be relegated down the rankings.
    I don't think Tessa & Scott need to worry about who may be bumped off should they return. They are simply the best ice dancers. If the other Canadian dance teams want to be on the podium, then they need to step up their game so they too can step up to the podium. I don't think V/M should have to consider how their return might affect other teams. It happens.

Would those of you who think V/M should just retire already think the same of other skaters in Canada -- make way for the younger (or not younger) and less decorated teams just so said teams have a chance at the podium. Should D/R and M-T/M retire from pairs cause you know, they are getting older and in the case of D/R they already have multiple World Medals. Should Patrick Chan retire permanently because of all the medals he's won? Guess we can't pick on the women because they are both young and haven't won much of anything ... yet. Then there's S/S of Germany who stayed 4 more years in hopes of getting Olympic gold in 2014. Should they have left after 2010 just because they were getting older and had a pretty good resume?

Those other teams should be grateful V/M stuck around and helped to keep three spot available for Canadian teams to participate at Worlds. If not for V/M and W/P doing as well as they did at last year's Worlds, it's quite likely that one of P/I or G/P would not have been going to Worlds this past season, with the possibility that neither would have gone. I'm not in favour of telling a skater to retire just to make room for others, especially when that skater is still so very young and could still offer the sport so much more. They have been trend setters and I could see them doing so even more should they return to competitive skating.

I don't buy the theory that "I" should turn over the reins to another just because "I" been at this for quite some time and am very decorated. You want my spot then you better earn it.

BTW, that old thing about not allowing a country's #2 team to win anything if their #1 team is still competing -- not buying that theory.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    THIS!!! I so totally agree prof. And if CoP truly works and there is no fixing, how can anyone be "kept off" the podium?

vCash
    OK. I think VM skating will made ice dance better. I think they could a lot off things to do with some epic choreograhers, there are a lot off music they could use, they are young. So i want to see more and if they want to do 1 more season or 4 more seasons - i will be happy.
    And why they need to retier just because of another team from Canada? Its not like DL, who were team leader and VM will come from juniors and it were understanding, they will overcome DL soon. We are talking about the same age or older teams. If they are best - nothing could keep them from this. If VM are betst - they will win.

vCash
    Does anyone have the new interview with Tessa and Scott that is in the latest IFS magazine?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    BTW, that old thing about not allowing a country's #2 team to win anything if their #1 team is still competing -- not buying that theory.
    Well, it seems to have been like that in recent years with dance. I'm not sure the judges at Worlds would have allowed W&P to get on the podium at Worlds last month if V&M were there too. There's never been 2 Canadian dance teams on the World podium at the same time as far as I know, and V&M will probably take this into consideration in not wanting to stand in W&P's way.

But it also depends on how they feel physically (eg. Tessa's legs, Scott's back & neck, etc.) They were able to overcome those injuries and skate 2 beautiful clean programs for the final individual event, but they may not want to go back into that competitive environment again. Anyway, I guess we will find out over the next few weeks!

Sabre-rattler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    I think it's available on iTunes.
    Tried that, but no.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    I think this page has all the episodes from Tessa and Scott http://vk.com/video?gid=49286267#/vi...album_51129829. I can view it on my iPhone without a problem, but when on a desktop or my laptop it asks you to set up an account or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    These links work with a laptop.
    the seven episodes of the Tessa and Scott TV show
    http://nathaliepechalats.tumblr.com/...er-tessa-scott

The last two episodes are to a different website and people have had trouble with them.

Episode 6.
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjcwNDA3Nzky.html

Episode 7
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjcwND...tml?f=21850085
    Thanks, I will try these.
    Like a leaf on the wind

vCash
    TS in Halifax for SOI with CTV journalist https://31.media.tumblr.com/55a806d5...9m46o1_500.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    Looks like Jordan was in Japan with them--she looks so much like Kate Middleton.
    honestly quite a bit prettier than kate middleton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Well, it seems to have been like that in recent years with dance. I'm not sure the judges at Worlds would have allowed W&P to get on the podium at Worlds last month if V&M were there too. There's never been 2 Canadian dance teams on the World podium at the same time as far as I know, and V&M will probably take this into consideration in not wanting to stand in W&P's way.
    Could you tell us when you think W/P deserved to be on the podium? Which year? How were they underscored? You're also forgetting the Shibs who were somehow placed third at 2011 worlds. And D/W passing B/A in 2010. It might be true that it's a little more difficult to get results when you're the number 2 team but it isn't impossible, maybe it'll even drive you to work harder and become a better team. The idea that one of the best teams ever should step aside to not be in the way of a much weaker team is ridiculous. This isn't a case of a stonger team being stuck in second because they're waiting their turn, there's a large gap.

The implication is that V/M should leave because they've had their turn and it's not fair that they're so good that W/P can't beat them and are stuck as Canada number 2. But that's the way this sport works. Sometimes there's lots of talented teams from one country and it's hard to even get out of nationals, sometimes you're the only team in your country that's good enough to make it to Worlds. I happen to think W/P have lucked out by skating in a weak era, so it evens out. And no matter who your favourites are, I don't understand how anyone could think we need fewer talented skaters, both in Canada and at world-level.

vCash
    CTV interview http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

ETA: Here is a version someone uploaded to youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8Un340lzA
    Last edited by cgirl8; 04-24-2014 at 03:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenji124 View Post
    Does anyone have the new interview with Tessa and Scott that is in the latest IFS magazine?
    Yes if anybody has scans from this article or anything, it would be much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliona22 View Post
    honestly quite a bit prettier than kate middleton
    I agree. I don't find Kate Middleton all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    Could you tell us when you think W/P deserved to be on the podium? Which year? How were they underscored? You're also forgetting the Shibs who were somehow placed third at 2011 worlds. And D/W passing B/A in 2010. It might be true that it's a little more difficult to get results when you're the number 2 team but it isn't impossible, maybe it'll even drive you to work harder and become a better team. The idea that one of the best teams ever should step aside to not be in the way of a much weaker team is ridiculous. This isn't a case of a stonger team being stuck in second because they're waiting their turn, there's a large gap.

The implication is that V/M should leave because they've had their turn and it's not fair that they're so good that W/P can't beat them and are stuck as Canada number 2. But that's the way this sport works. Sometimes there's lots of talented teams from one country and it's hard to even get out of nationals, sometimes you're the only team in your country that's good enough to make it to Worlds. I happen to think W/P have lucked out by skating in a weak era, so it evens out. And no matter who your favourites are, I don't understand how anyone could think we need fewer talented skaters, both in Canada and at world-level.
    Yea if VM do decide to retire I hope they're not taking WP's feelings into consideration. It's not VM's that WP weren't allowed on the podium before (if that's the case). I don't think the observer likes VM because it's obvious they really want Tessa and Scott to retire.

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast