Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Good luck Skateboy!

Everyone's body, appetite and eating habits are different and it sounds like you found what works for you.

Keep us updated

vCash

skateboy have you discovered the wonders of oatmeal? Seriously though, it tends to be a great morning energizer for me (w/ chopped dates, honey roasted sunflower seeds, bits of diced red apple...and no sugar added). Milk of course.
    Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 03-04-2014 at 04:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post

skateboy have you discovered the wonders of oatmeal? Seriously though, it tends to be a great morning energizer for me (w/ chopped dates, honey roasted sunflower seeds, bits of diced red apple...and no sugar added). Milk of course.
    Love oatmeal! Great for lowering cholesterol, too. But I'll be laying off of it for awhile.

This morning I weighed in at 164 lbs. That may not seem like all that much for a fairly tall guy, but my "real" state is lanky, given my body build and bone structure: I'm looking at about 148 as a goal.

Thanks again for all the great comments. Anyone else who wants to chime in on this thread with your own personal goals, feel free. We can support one another!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post

Make sure to eat the least processed oatmeal such as groats or steel cut to prevent sugar spike. If time is an issue, eat the old fashioned version, don't eat the instant version and to prevent sugar spike, eat it with protein loaded foods.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halffull View Post
    I wish to drop some pounds myself. Time will tell if I can get myself motivated enough to do so. So post your successes and hopefully that will help
    I've lost 10lbs since Christmas on the 5:2 diet. Basically, I get 2 days a week (but fast on those two days, more or less) and eat normally the other days. My father and brother have dropped even more weight, my mother less. It's a slow, slow diet, but it's very easy and I find I eat better on the normal days because I'm more in touch with my hunger signals - I'll often have lunch at about 4pm and no dinner just because I'm not hungry at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy
    Your body isn't going to selectively start to eat the fat, especially the one that is most dangerous. Your body is as likely to start breaking down your muscles as it is to be breaking down your fat.
    Not true! A lot of what you've just said are fairly common social myths that I also spouted until about 6 months ago, but the reality is quite different You've corrected yourself on the burning fat not muscle bit, but as for your other concerns:

If you haven't eaten for over 6 hours, your blood sugar level gets extremely low. As a result, your body goes into 'starvation mode' and your metabolism slows down. So you burn fat less effectively than if you had regular, healthy meals + some moderate exercise.
    Your blood sugar does NOT get extremely low if you haven't eaten for over 6 hours unless you're diabetic or have another insulin problem. Furthermore, the 5:2 doesn't advocate NOT eating 2 days a week, it advocates restricting calorie intake to 500cals for women and 600 for men. You can still eat 3 meals - a truck load of veggies - within 500 calories so you don't need to skip eating for more than 6 hours if you do have a problem with it.

Conversely, research has shown that people who have been on the 5:2 for 3 months have lower blood sugar. Our modern food supply has evolved far quicker than our bodies, which are actually designed to sustain not eating for days on end. It wasn't so long ago that people didn't eat every day, which is in no way what this diet advocates.

2 -
    What is also going to happen is your brain chemistry is going to get out of balance. As a result of starving yourself, your brain will get flooded by beta-endorphin which will give you a pleasant feeling of a 'natural high' but as a result your brain will downregulate and become more tolerant to it. You can also develop withdrawal symptoms later.

Being starved is also a stressor - both in the physiological and the psychological sense - and I don't understand why you would willingly want to expose yourself to that. I mean I get that you can lose weight but is it worth the cost?
    Except that we are talking of two non consecutive days in 7 where you reduce (but don't stop) your food intake. Your body does NOT go into starvation mode. It might if you were to fast on two consecutive days or limit food on the 5 other days, but that isn't what you do. By fasting 1 day, you can actually get more in touch with hunger signals. Did you know that the majority of adults can't tell whether they're hungry or thirsty? A lot of people mistake cravings for hunger too.

The days I fast, I'm a lot sharper at work, don't get that 3:30pm/after lunch slump, and am more aware of when I'm hungry, when I'm full and seek out nutritious foods on the other days. My overall food intake has decreased sharply because I ate largely out of routine when in fact I didn't need lunch at 1pm because I was still good from breakfast, or only needed something light for dinner because I had lunch at 4.

I understand that fad diets give you a structure that you can work with. If you want to pick one, go with The South Beach Diet or The Food Doctor as those two are based on actual established nutrition guidelines instead of starving your body and depriving it of what it needs, which is what diets like Atkins, Dukan and Fast Diet do.
    The Dukan and Atkins I agree with you, but I don't think you actually know what the 5:2 is. If you want to have carbs on Atkins, too bad. You have to deprive yourself...forever. If you want carbs or chocolate or fries on the 5:2, you can have them tomorrow. It's very sustainable, and the model has worked better for me than any other diet, including and especially a calorie reduced one where you can eat what you want within your calorie limits.

I recommend the book "Health at every size" for an interesting look at diets and why they ultimately fail, but every single reason listed in that book is why the 5:2 has worked and is working for me. On nearly any diet, you'll hit a plateau which is your body getting panicked that you're losing weight when evolution tells us that skinny people didn't survive famine.

The main critics of the 5:2 say it has no health benefits at all (other studies have shown lower blood sugar, cholesterol and levels of the hormone which can cause cancer), but very few claim it's dangerous and those who do tend to be trying to sell their own diet book
    Last edited by *Jen*; 03-04-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Two things that you all might find interesting -

1 - An article about 5:2 which addresses some of the common myths about fasting

2 - A book by Linda Bacon, "Health at Every size", which explains why we need to focus on getting healthy rather than losing weigh because all diets ultimately fail.

I think the author as a hugely condescending writing style and disagree with the way she says things, but the ultimate message is pretty interesting and backed up by hard, scientific evidence. I've learned a lot about hunger and the way the body deals with hunger signals, why we hit plateaus with diets etc etc. Anyone considering a diet should read this and draw their own conclusions!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

If you haven't eaten for over 6 hours, your blood sugar level gets extremely low. As a result, your body goes into 'starvation mode' and your metabolism slows down. So you burn fat less effectively than if you had regular, healthy meals + some moderate exercise.

The body controls blood sugar very carefully within a tight range.
    When you have too much sugar in the blood, the body produces insulin, which creams off the excess sugar and stores it.
    When you have too little sugar in the blood, the body tops up the level with stored glucose from the liver. (glycogen)
    So you will not have low blood sugar because you haven't eaten for 6 hours (unless you are a diabetic)!

Whenever the hormone insulin is present in the blood stream, the hormones in fat cells which are responsible for fat release are switched off.
    If the hormone insulin isn't present, then the fat cells hormones are switched on and they release their fat as required, thus the reason for the success of low carb diets or fasting.
    As long as your body is digesting carbs, you will be producing insulin, and will not be burning up fat.
    Worse still, the fat cells will take any excess carbs and store them as fat.
    This is why farmers feed carbs to pigs to fatten them up!
    So if you want to lose your fat, stop eating carbs, or limit them to 1 meal per day!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    The Dukan and Atkins I agree with you, but I don't think you actually know what the 5:2 is. If you want to have carbs on Atkins, too bad. You have to deprive yourself...forever.
    Not true. Atkins is a four phase program, and I think much of the criticism of it mistakes the first phase for the whole diet. The first phase is designed to break you of your carb habit, so yes it severely restricts carbs. It's also designed to motivate you, because if followed correctly, you will more than likely see a drop of 5 pounds in the first two weeks, and if you have been struggling forever, that's a good feeling. Finally, it's designed to make you think about what you are eating - not just the carbs, but making more nutritious choices, being smart about portions, and choosing better snacks.

Once you are on that road, then Atkins reintroduces carbs gradually, so that you can find the right balance for you. Starchy vegetables such as potatoes, squash and corn are very much "allowed" with Atkins, as are whole grains and even the occasional sugary treat. More on the four phases of Atkins

vCash
    I am plugging Jenny’s post. And am a little at the my fad diet is great but your fad diet sucks sentiment.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I would like to try this 5:2 thing. I am thinking if I eat chocolate for 5 days, and take 2 days off, it might just work for me.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    I would like to try this 5:2 thing. I am thinking if I eat chocolate for 5 days, and take 2 days off, it might just work for me.
    I'd suggest reading the book first - The Fast Diet - it's short and easy to read, and provides the explanation for how it works, which I do think is important for anyone embarking on a new diet.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I've tried all kinds of diets without much success; the weight would always come back on. One of my friends lost a lot of weight by juicing but that didn't seem like the healthiest way to lose the weight I wanted. Another friend suggested I get a Nutri-Bullet and make smoothies instead. After Christmas last year, I got one on sale at Kohl's and started making smoothies with baby spinach, carrots, celery, grape tomatoes, and different types of fruit. Sometimes I add yogurt. I've tried broccoli and cucumbers, but baby spinach is my favorite.

At first I was drinking smoothies twice a day and eating lunch as my main meal. Now I drink them several times a week, but I still have lunch as my main meal. I used to be a carb lover but have cut back on them a lot and concentrate more on fruit and vegetables. I try not to buy things like chips and candy because it's too tempting for me if I have it in my house. When I started losing weight from drinking my smoothies, my cravings for sugar and carbs dropped. Now one of my favorite snacks is grapefruit.

For breakfast I usually have a smoothie, steel-cut oatmeal, Cheerio's, or two hard-boiled eggs. I go out for lunch and have found all the lunch-time specials in my area. Since I live alone, I don't cook that much because I get tired of eating the same thing for days. For dinner I have a smoothie, a bowl of soup, or a salad. I love cheese but try to limit myself. Sometimes I think I would kill somebody for a bacon, cheese, and egg sandwich but it's too much fat. When I have chocolate craving, I drink low-fat milk with a little chocolate flavoring in it. I snack on fruit and celery sticks and sometimes popcorn.

I don't think of myself as being on a diet any more but as trying to limit unhealthy foods and make better choices. I've lost 79 lbs. and look and feel much better. I have an exercise bike in front of my TV so I can ride while watching instead of just loafing on the couch, and I've recently returned to skating. I have much more energy and was able to shovel out my car during our recent snowstorms without huffing and puffing. Cutting back on carbs and chocolate is worth it to me when I can look in the mirror and see a thinner and healthier person looking back.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I am plugging Jenny’s post. And am a little at the my fad diet is great but your fad diet sucks sentiment.
    I'm sorry Snoopy, I didn't mean to bag out your diet, or be offensive as I clearly was. I've been on Atkins and it didn't work for me, but Jenny's right...my criticism is mainly at phase 1 which I couldn't really make it past.

I'm glad it's working for you and that you're happy with it I hope you have more success with it than I did, and reducing carbs IS pretty healthy so I take it back.
    Last edited by *Jen*; 03-04-2014 at 08:48 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Moto Guzzi, thanks for sharing your story - very inspirational!

vCash
    79lbs?! Wow! Good for you, moto guzzi! It sounds like you're much healthier as well, which is great!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I'm sorry Snoopy, I didn't mean to bag out your diet, or be offensive as I clearly was. I've been on Atkins and it didn't work for me, but Jenny's right...my criticism is mainly at phase 1 which I couldn't really make it past.

I'm glad it's working for you and that you're happy with it I hope you have more success with it than I did, and reducing carbs IS pretty healthy so I take it back.
    No problem. The thing with diets is whatever works for you is the diet that works. I also do really well with intermittent fasting but I suspect that won't work for everyone.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Love oatmeal! Great for lowering cholesterol, too. But I'll be laying off of it for awhile.

This morning I weighed in at 164 lbs. That may not seem like all that much for a fairly tall guy, but my "real" state is lanky, given my body build and bone structure: I'm looking at about 148 as a goal.

Thanks again for all the great comments. Anyone else who wants to chime in on this thread with your own personal goals, feel free. We can support one another!
    Nice! Good luck!

I am joining in. I have gained about 10 lbs during The Unending Winter of Hell and have realized for the past month I need to get back in shape. I'm very inconsistent; I'll binge work-out for a week and eat really well...then the next week I don't work out and eat carbs at an rate.

Yesterday, I was going through some old pictures on my phone and looked at some shirtless selfies from last April, after I had worked with a personal trainer for 2 months. I was pretty hot! Very toned, baby abs, and really nice pecs. I took another picture last night and look significantly more.....soft. Really soft.

So my goal is MODERATION. Eating well is not a problem for me as I love to cook and have some hearty low-cal recipes...as long as I don't buy anything bad, I will be okay. My goal is to eat well and go to the gym 3 times a week. Going to also take a picture every week to document progress and to motivate when I'm not doing so well.

I don't get too hung up on weight but I am at 184 right now and was at 170-174 last April, so that's the target.

Good luck to everyone!

vCash
    Thanks for all the inspiration. I am not going to buy junk food. If my hubby and 15 y/o want it they can go to the grocery store themselves and purchase it. Cuz I end up eating it when they are not here. Hiding does not work when the craving monstser is lurking. And yes, this winter has been brutal. I can't walk to my mailbox without freezing extremities.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Wow Moto Guzzi - that's amazing! I love stories like yours. It's very motivating to read of other's success. Congratulations on on the healthy changes you've made.

vCash
    Interesting article on research into high-protein, low-carb diets.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-0...-finds/5299284

This was other finding from the research done on fasting as well as other articles I have seen. Protein, whilst necessary for us, should be eaten in moderation. It has been linked with certain types of cancers.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast