Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

vCash
    Congrats skateboy and sk8pics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    I've lost 12 lbs since May7. So pretty good.
    Woohoo!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halffull View Post
    Congrats skateboy and sk8pics
    Thanks!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I need some help on a hypotethical scenario.

Let's say one wants to keep his weght steady, like: you hop on the scale every morning, naked, on empty stomach, and you find exactly the same number, with a toleration of less than half a pound.

Nothing else matters, just the number. It really matters that the number stays the same every day. Not around the same, not once a week, but exactly the same, every day.

At the beginning of the process (let's say the first two/three weeks), physical activity isn't an option, not even light. In time, physical activity can be resumed progressively.

How would you people propose to achieve that? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I lasted 3 weeks on the "no this, no that, no nothing" detox/cleanse thing. Didn't feel a damn thing different, didn't notice anything different other than a loss of about 5 pounds. Hell, I can do that and still eat yogurt and cheese! Back to reality!
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    I need some help on a hypotethical scenario.

Let's say one wants to keep his weght steady, like: you hop on the scale every morning, naked, on empty stomach, and you find exactly the same number, with a toleration of less than half a pound.

Nothing else matters, just the number. It really matters that the number stays the same every day. Not around the same, not once a week, but exactly the same, every day.

How would you people propose to achieve that? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    I think that would be very hard to achieve given fluctuations in water and salt consumption. It might be possible to achieve, but the amount of awareness and control involved would be excessive.

So far as I know a weight fluctuation of a few pounds is normal. But some women gain up to five before their period, due to water retention.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    I lasted 3 weeks on the "no this, no that, no nothing" detox/cleanse thing. Didn't feel a damn thing different, didn't notice anything different other than a loss of about 5 pounds. Hell, I can do that and still eat yogurt and cheese! Back to reality!
    The summer I was fifteen, I was staying at our house by the seaside on my own. I got hit on the head by a rock, and decided to only eat fruit and vegetables for two weeks, no condiments. Personally, I felt a great deal of difference: a complete change for the better on my skin, which was already fine enough, for starter.
    I didn't feel tired and didn't have drawbacks I can recall. And I loved it: where I was staying the farmers market had the most delicious produce section, and one of the greatest variaty in fruit and vegetables you can find.

But I never did that again. To this day, I don't even know what got into me.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I think that would be very hard to achieve given fluctuations in water and salt consumption. It might be possible to achieve, but the amount of awareness and control involved would be excessive.
    "Excessive" is relative. One could have darn good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    So far as I know a weight fluctuation of a few pounds is normal. But some women gain up to five before their period, due to water retention.
    Assume weight gain before period isn't an issue (it could be a man, or it could be a woman that does not gain weight before her periods).

Again, I'd really like to have feedback: if presented with this issue, what would your advice be in order to achive the goal, as difficult as it might sound, as obscure as the motive might look?
    Last edited by loulou; 06-24-2014 at 11:32 AM.

vCash
    Again, I'd really like to have feedback: if presented with this issue, what would your advice be in order to achive the goal, as difficult as it might sound, as obscure as the motive might look?
    I'm not sure it is achievable because the body's weight fluctuates throughout the day and can depend on many things including how much sleep you've had, the time of day you got up etc etc together with other things that might not be controllable.

Speaking totally honestly, if someone truly, non-hypothetically, was asking how to achieve this, I'd say they were trying to control something that cannot be controlled that strictly and I'd worry the person might need to seek help for at best patterns of disordered eating and at worst a full blown eating disorder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I'm not sure it is achievable because the body's weight fluctuates throughout the day and can depend on many things including how much sleep you've had, the time of day you got up etc etc together with other things that might not be controllable.
    I didn't ask about body weght fluctuations throughout the day (you cannot avoid content of the stomach after meals), I asked how to avoid fluctuations from morning to morning.

Speaking totally honestly, if someone truly, non-hypothetically, was asking how to achieve this, I'd say they were trying to control something that cannot be controlled that strictly and I'd worry the person might need to seek help for at best patterns of disordered eating and at worst a full blown eating disorder.
    Don't go there. I asked for feedback, you don't know why I did, and if someone had to achieve that result non-hypothetically you wouldn't guess why.

I would still like advice.
    And after antmanb comment, I'll add: please, assume the effort is for a healthy living, not against it. Which should also motivate people to jump in with their own advices, if they have some.

vCash
    I didn't ask about body weght fluctuations throughout the day (you cannot avoid content of the stomach after meals), I asked how to avoid fluctuations from morning to morning.
    I only mentioned the fluctuations throughout the day because human beings are not robots, and days can be vastly different depending on your lifestyle, work, days off etc. So you are going to get fluctuations when your tolerance for fluctuation is as low as half a pound. Like I said I think it's impossible because there's too many factors that are impossible to control. Just taking one factor sleep - you can try your hardest to get X amount of hours sleep every single night, but you can't cause your body to sleep, or not wake up, or be disturbed by a neighbour, a fire alarm, a pet. So sleep is mostly an uncontrollable thing and that's just one factor that might cause fluctuations.

vCash
    Double post!

vCash
    please, assume the effort is for a healthy living
    I don't know how someone could make this assumption, when your hypothetical situation is NOT natural. If you drink a glass of water, and then go stand on the scale, you are going to weigh more than before you drank that water. If it was really hot outside, and you went and mowed the lawn, and then go stand on the scale, you are going to weigh less than you did before. I can easily weigh 5 pounds more in the evening than I did in the morning, and then be back to that same weight again the next morning. Some days it is 2 pounds. On rare occasion, I weigh less in the evening. That's not actual weight gain.

The human body fluctuates through the day. In my opinion, it would be impossible to maintain a constant weight at all times during the day.

vCash
    Does anyone else have any experience with Jenny Craig? I did not have an issue with weight as a child or teenager and was always underweight. However, after many years of being pregnant, home with small children and cooking for a large family, food has become a pleasure as well as an avenue of self expression. I have gotten a lot of appreciation and been complimented on my cooking, so my self esteem is wrapped up in my ability to make yummy meals. I especially get a lot of pleasure out of baking. As I have gotten older, I have gained weight. My husband and I are now the only ones at home and he is a very disciplined eater. He is in the health care industry and his family has a long history of heart disease so he eats very healthy (a lot of what he eats is just not palatable to me). Jenny Craig has appeal in that it takes me out of meal preparation and the kitchen pretty well all together. I know of two women who lost weight on it, now are on their maintenance and it seems to be working out well for them.
    pug lover

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I don't know how someone could make this assumption, when your hypothetical situation is NOT natural.
    I understand imagination is often too narrow to picture all realities.

If you have advice and you're willing to share, you should do so under the assumption it is for health benefit, simply becaused I told you so.

If you drink a glass of water, and then go stand on the scale, you are going to weigh more than before you drank that water.
    Yes, I myself wrote that stomach content is an inevitable fluctuation throughout the day.

The human body fluctuates through the day. In my opinion, it would be impossible to maintain a constant weight at all times during the day.
    I didn't ask for advice to maintain constant weight at all times during the day, but to maintain constant weight morning to morning, assuming all conditions stay the same when you weight yoursef (as soon as you get up, no clothes on, empty stomach, etc.).

I only mentioned the fluctuations throughout the day because human beings are not robots, and days can be vastly different depending on your lifestyle, work, days off etc. So you are going to get fluctuations when your tolerance for fluctuation is as low as half a pound. Like I said I think it's impossible because there's too many factors that are impossible to control.
    Thanks for this answer.

What you're saying is all true, even the part I cut out.
    Except that it's not impossible to maintain the same weight morning to morning; difficult, or very difficult for some, but not impossible.
    I'd like advice, but I'm sensing I won't be lucky.

vCash
    What you're saying is all true, even the part I cut out.
    Except that it's not impossible to maintain the same weight morning to morning; difficult, or very difficult for some, but not impossible.
    I'd like advice, but I'm sensing I won't be lucky.
    I genuinely believe it is impossible to maintain the exact same weight every single morning. If you know it is not impossible, then why are you asking for advice to achieve this

Can I ask, why you want to know? I'm intrigued because it seems like a really strange thing to want to achieve, hypothetically or otherwise.

vCash
    I genuinely believe it is impossible to maintain the exact same weight every single morning. If you know it is not impossible, then why are you asking for advice to achieve this
    Hypothetically, one might know, then circumstances might change, one might be missing something that could help, one might seek advice to see how to reverse circumstances.

Can I ask, why you want to know? I'm intrigued because it seems like a really strange thing to want to achieve, hypothetically or otherwise.
    Of course you can.
    Though chances are, if I was going to lay out the whole hypothetical scenario, I would have done so by now.
    Last edited by loulou; 06-25-2014 at 03:26 PM.

vCash
    Hypothetically, one might know, then circumstances might change, one might be missing something that could help, one might seek advice to see how to reverse circumstances.

Of course you can.
    Though chances are, if I was going to lay out the whole hypothetical scenario, I would have done so by now.
    Now you see this makes me genuinely concerned

vCash
    I didn't ask for advice to maintain constant weight at all times during the day, but to maintain constant weight morning to morning, assuming all conditions stay the same when you weight yoursef (as soon as you get up, no clothes on, empty stomach, etc.).
    Sorry, I misread- I thought you wanted an allover constant weight and the "like each morning" was an example.

Either way, the assumption that all conditions stay the same is impossible. Can you control the humidity of the room? The rate of your digestion? That you bladder is really, completely empty? That all liquid has even made it to your bladder? The amount of sleep you get (not the hours you have available for sleep)? The amount of stress you have?

If you did this experiment as a computer simulation in a vacuum, it might be possible. It is not possible for a human in the real world.

vCash
    19 pounds shed since March 3! 20 was my original target: I'd like to go for 5 more and then stop attempting to lose weight. (If I lose more than that I would be too thin.)

So happy!

vCash
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast