Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    In fact one of the people at work found he managed to bring back his cholesterol into a healthy range. Before that he was on medication.

Mosley suggests that if every obese person followed a regime of reduced calorie intake, whether it is 5:2, 3 day fasting or alternate day fasting, then you would basically cure most of the obesity related problems that are prevalent in many of the countries where it is a problem. Not saying it applies to everyone but most. That is a big call but it makes sense.
    You could also cure most of the obesity related problems and keep your cholesterol in a healthy range, whilst following established nutritional guidelines. And this way you will also be providing your body everything that it needs, every day.

There is absolutely no doubt that fasting for two days results in the loss of fat tissue. But there are, at least, two potential problems that I can see:

1) Long-term effects on health as a result of putting extra stress on your body.

2) Not addressing what you eat. If you fast for two days and - theoretically - eat crap for the other five, how is that going to be good for your health?

'The idea behind eating regularly is that we speed up our metabolic rate and prevent the body from going into starvation mode. But the body does the opposite, he says.'

What is his reference on that? If that is indeed a myth that became a meme, I would really like to know so that I can stop believing in it but on what research is his assertion based?

I really like his point on exercise. Short and intensive bursts are something that everybody can incorporate into their routine.

Quote Originally Posted by taz'smum View Post
    The body controls blood sugar very carefully within a tight range.
    When you have too much sugar in the blood, the body produces insulin, which creams off the excess sugar and stores it.
    When you have too little sugar in the blood, the body tops up the level with stored glucose from the liver. (glycogen)
    So you will not have low blood sugar because you haven't eaten for 6 hours (unless you are a diabetic)!
    Your liver stores about 400 calories worth of sugar at any given time. Maybe the 6 hour figure is too short but it's a finite supply.

Quote Originally Posted by taz'smum View Post
    Whenever the hormone insulin is present in the blood stream, the hormones in fat cells which are responsible for fat release are switched off.
    If the hormone insulin isn't present, then the fat cells hormones are switched on and they release their fat as required, thus the reason for the success of low carb diets or fasting.
    As long as your body is digesting carbs, you will be producing insulin, and will not be burning up fat.
    Worse still, the fat cells will take any excess carbs and store them as fat.
    This is why farmers feed carbs to pigs to fatten them up!
    So if you want to lose your fat, stop eating carbs, or limit them to 1 meal per day!
    The recommended macronutrient propotions are 45-65% of carbs. If you eat complex carbs with protein for your every meal, then you will have a steady release of glucose into your blood, preventing sugar spikes.
    Source: http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/up...ate0906b.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Not true. Atkins is a four phase program, and I think much of the criticism of it mistakes the first phase for the whole diet. The first phase is designed to break you of your carb habit, so yes it severely restricts carbs.
    And that's the problem with Atkins. The initial weight loss is very rapid and it's largely the loss of water and not fat, which throws your body's electrolyte balance off, and is obviously not what you are after. Because phase one is so 'effective' there is a danger that people might stick to it (or keep repeating it).

Another issue with Atkins is that eating too much protein results in calcium loss.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 03-05-2014 at 02:12 PM.

vCash
    Ziggy - most of us doing the 5:2 diet principles have gone into this on the basis of the research. It's principle aim is to reduce the risk of diabetes, heart disease and cancer. The weight loss is just another benefit. Maybe you need to watch the documentary so you understand what some of us are talking about. But to suggest that you need to eat because your blood sugar will get too low is just a load of hogwash. If you were type 1 diabetic then yes it would be a problem. But for most it has absolutely no impact on blood sugar.

Type 2 diabetes is actually a reversible condition. If you did have diabetes you should consult your doctor before doing something like it, but if it was going to "cure" your diabetes or rather bring your glucose back to normality, then maybe you need to consider this as a way of reducing it.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 03-05-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    A former boss wanted to lose weight for her wedding, so she went on Lite n Easy for six months.

I would have considered Lite n Easy except that as a pescetarian (vegetarian who eats fish) there wasn't a great range of meal options. The portion size and taste is about the same as airline food.

Anyway, she was very disciplined and she lost the weight, but was a total bore and detailed every friggin' aspect to her team each day about her dietary routine, and proceeded to lecture us about our own eating habits.

The thing is, as soon as she got married and went off the diet and back onto junk food, I've never seen weight go back more quickly on a person in my life. My god, she looked really pregnant after a few months.

vCash
    I had a long reply, and my phone ate it

Ziggy - if you really want to know, why don't you read one of the books we linked for you up thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy
    Your liver stores about 400 calories worth of sugar at any given time. Maybe the 6 hour figure is too short but it's a finite supply.
    6 hours is way too short! People regularly go 12 hours between dinner and breakfast with no adverse effect. A lot of people eat all their food within 8 hours (9-5) and nothing for the next 16. Your starvation has to be serious and prolonged before it causes your blood sugar to drop - think at least 24+ hours for healthy people.

I'll repeat what I've said before since you're obsessing on a point that isn't even correct - you don't starve yourself on 5:2. You don't have to go without food for more than 6 hours if you can't, or won't, although the health benefits are more extreme if you do. You, as a man, would have to limit yourself to 600 calories a day, that you could eat how and when you like. You can have 3 lighter meals full of veggies and a little protein, or you could have two bigger ones.

You lose, on average, 1lb a week if that. This is not a quick diet. There is no starvation. There is no famine. Your metabolism will not stop.

If you look at our ancestors, even 50 years ago most people did not eat 3 square meals a day. People were lucky to get 2 or 1. Our bodies are incredibly smart and have mechanisms to cope, but more to the point, there is growing evidence that intermittent fasting actually makes our bodies more efficient and increases insulin sensitivity.

I'm not suggesting you do it, but I suggest you do a little more research into insulin issues

I strongly recommend you read "Health at every size". The 5:2 diet isn't mentioned in it because it wasn't around when the book was written, but I'm fairly sure you'd learn something about diets which follow your recommended nutritional guidelines...like the fact they don't work long term. Like the fact your body will think you're in famine and slow your metabolism after you lose a certain amount of weight regardless of how you lose it.
    Last edited by *Jen*; 03-06-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Ziggy - most of us doing the 5:2 diet principles have gone into this on the basis of the research. It's principle aim is to reduce the risk of diabetes, heart disease and cancer. The weight loss is just another benefit. Maybe you need to watch the documentary so you understand what some of us are talking about. But to suggest that you need to eat because your blood sugar will get too low is just a load of hogwash. If you were type 1 diabetic then yes it would be a problem. But for most it has absolutely no impact on blood sugar.

I totally agree!
    My brother has followed a almost zero carb diet for a number of years, as he was suffering from hypoglaecemia.
    When he used to eat carbs, he frequently fainted due to low blood sugar, but since adopting a very low carb diet, he has not fainted once and feels so much better.
    He said that before, he was hungry all the time, and found it very difficult to hold down his job, as he couldn't concentrate when hungry.
    Now he can go hours without eating and never feels the same hunger that he felt when eating carbs.

The human body isn't designed to eat the carbs we give it now.
    Cereal, bread, pasta etc. are all modern inventions.
    The human body is designed to eat what cave men could find, veg, fruit, meat, fish, nuts and seeds.
    If you eat this diet, you will maintain a healthy weight effortlessly.
    I eat this diet, and my only problem is keeping my weight up!
    I used to be podgy 62kg when I ate carbs, now I am 53Kg and have been at that weight for 18 months with little variation.
    It's great to never feel fat!
    I thought I would crave my old diet, but in fact, if I try cakes or chocolate now, there is just one overwhelming taste, sugar!
    It is just sickly and so, so addictive. I don't want to go there again!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    No problem. The thing with diets is whatever works for you is the diet that works. I also do really well with intermittent fasting but I suspect that won't work for everyone.
    I think we probably have similar metabolisms because Atkins style carb restriction and intermittent fasting work really well for me.

I also mix up different types of diet at different points in the year because I simply get bored doing the same things and i think it gives my weight loss a boost by chopping and changing things, so e.g. carb restriciton works really well for me in the spring/summer, but a more free form calorie counting and/or cheat day type thing works best for me in the autumn/winter and accomodates things in my life like Christmas and lots of birthday celebrations that skew to this time of year for me.

Working out what works for you and is sustainable for you as an individual is always best.

vCash
    Just a quick check-in to say I've been religious about my diet for five days now, so I'm now in the zone. A couple of pounds dropped already.

Keep at it everyone, we can do this!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I started Isagenix (nutritious shakes 2 times a day and 1-2 meals the rest of day) 2 weeks ago and lost 8 pounds without changing anything so far about my exercise routine. My body water percentage is up now too, and I think I'm actually saving money by not buying so much "regular" food. The transition really wasn't very difficult and the shakes are quite filling.

vCash
    Good for you, skateboy. I haven't been quite so good but better than recently at least. Unfortunately I tried making hot cross buns and they were delicious. Fortunately I gave half of them to my 93-year-old Aunt who also loved them. Unfortunately I am eating the other half a bit too quickly. Unfortunately the recipe uses white flour, Fortunately I substituted 1/3 whole wheat flour and they still rose sufficiently.

Speaking of which, have you all heard of a thing called vital wheat gluten? This chef on a talk show here who revamps recipes to make them healthier was making a deep dish pizza with about 1/4 the fat and calories. She made her pizza dough using all whole wheat flour and added the vital wheat gluten to give it the rise and stretch necessary. She said it should be easily available and although it sounded a bit pricey she said you use very little so it lasts a long time. I am going to have to try to source some of that because I really much prefer the taste of whole wheat on top of the better for you aspect. I have a pizza dough recipe I love that contains flax seed meal and whole wheat but still has a lot of white flour too.

vCash
    I was at the doctor recently and overheard him suggesting that 5:2 diet to another patient. (They shouldn't make the wall so thin!) I had never heard of it before. I do think that, with a diet like that, it is a good idea to discuss it with a doctor if you have a history of blood sugar problems. What works for most people will not necessarily work for diabetics.

There are some things that are true for everyone (I don't think that any doctor or nutritionist would recommend trans fats.) But, in other ways, what is most important nutritionally will depend on the particular person.

Lately, I've been eating a diet that many would label as "low-carb." I've cut back on sugar and grains. I eat fruit and lots of vegetables, so it's more accurately low in food that has high glycemic loads. I didn't change my diet in order to lose weight, but I have lost a little. Cutting out the sugar and grains definitely doesn't make me hungrier. That may be because of the lower glucose. Or, it may just be because fat feels more filling. My diet is higher in fat -- good fats from things like avocado, nuts, fish, olive oil, grass-fed dairy, and meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    Speaking of which, have you all heard of a thing called vital wheat gluten?
    For some people, the worst thing about wheat is the gluten. But, many prefer the fiber in whole wheat over white flour.

vCash
    I'm doing great so far.....yesterday I only had 4 cookies instead of 6. And the day before I had 2 pieces of pizza instead of 3.

vCash
    I was down 1.7 pounds at my weigh in this week. I was a bit surprised because I went out to celebrate my parent's anniversary and ended up going into the extra points Weight Watchers allows me by more than I ever have so I kind of expected a gain. I did walk 5km all 7 days this week, as well as an hour and a half of skating so maybe I was able to offset it with my activity. Whatever it was, I'll take it. I just hope now it doesn't hit next week instead! :-P

This week at our meeting we talked about "the sitting disease". They say that the average person is spending 7.7 hours per day sitting and that we need to be mindful of ways to decrease that number for our health. Apparently even standing still is preferable to sitting and some office are looking into work stations that give employees the option of standing for at least part of their day. They suggested that we aim to get up and move for at least 5 minutes of every hour we are sitting if possible. That's a small enough change that most people should be able to manage it. I'm already doing about an hour a day of activity but I am trying now to make sure that I find reasons to get off my duff as suggested during tv or computer time

vCash
    A check-in after 16 days on my diet. I've been pretty religious about it and have dropped 5 lbs. so far.

Thanks to everyone who has posted, sharing stories and ideas. This thread is keeping me focused. With any luck, I'll be able to post more progress next week!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    5 pounds in 16 days is amazing! Good for you skateboy!

vCash
    Checking in again. Day 30 on my diet. I've stuck to it religiously (with the one exception of eating a piece of my nephew's birthday cake over the weekend) and have been going to the gym regularly. I'm pretty much past the cravings for high-calorie food, although I've been tempted (and sometimes cranky).

I've lost 8 lbs. so far.

Hope all of you on diets are doing well, too!

vCash
    Congrats, Skateboy. That's terrific.

OT: Any opera recitals for your group in NY this year?

vCash
    Congrats, skateboy. That is wonderful.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same. I guess I have made some slow progress in getting back to more healthy eating but still having too many snacks even if they are more healthy. Slow is better than no progress at all but hopefully I will speed it up soon.

vCash
    I just ate grapes. So I was good 10 minutes ago!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Congrats, Skateboy. That's terrific.

OT: Any opera recitals for your group in NY this year?
    Thursday, June 12! (I'll keep you posted. )

vCash
    Thanks.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast