Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

I'm officially going on a diet

I've decided to go on a diet, starting today. I'm posting because it will give me incentive to stick to it.

I'm planning to lose 15 lbs., 20 at the most. The diet I go on will give me this result in a healthy way, I've done it before with successful results. And I'm combining it with more regular visits to the gym.

Not real overweight, but I'm not happy with what I've been eating lately (too much high-carb stuff such as pizza). I want to increase my energy and enjoy the added benefit of looking a little more fit and slim.

I'll post in each week with a progress report, until I've reached my goal.

Thanks for reading this post.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Good luck.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I wish you success ... keep us posted.

vCash
    I'm going on a diet too, although I am not calling it "going on a diet", as that is just too restrictive. So I am calling it, "stop shoving so much crap in your mouth". What I really need is to reset my brain to reach for the baby carrots or grapes as a snack instead of the cookies. And chips. And nachos. And chocolate. And more cookies. Snacking is my downfall.
    I turn 52 in 5 months and plan on being healthier than I am now. As much as I would love to lose weight, I am thinking of
    that as a secondary benefit. I am hoping that if I focus on healthier eating, and also getting off my substantial behind and walking in the fresh air, my clothes will become a little less snug!
    Good luck!
    Last edited by quartz; 03-03-2014 at 03:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    I'm going on a diet too, although I am not calling it "going on a diet", as that is just too restrictive. So I am calling it, "stop shoving so much crap in your mouth". What I really need is to reset my brain to reach for the baby carrots or grapes as a snack instead of the cookies. And chips. And nachos. And chocolate. And more cookies. Snacking is my downfall.
    I read something about that last year. The article stated that if you put the unhealthy stuff into not see-through containers and in the back of the cabinet/fridge and the healthy stuff into containers with at least a see-through lid and at the front of the cabinet/fridge you're more likely to take the healthy stuff. Because you see it, thus you realize it's there and because it's in the front, thus easy to reach.

Good luck to the both of you achieving your goal.

vCash
    Make me a third who is bound and determined to lose all of the weight I gained this winter. I got away from my healthy eating lifestyle this winter to carbon load - but at least I managed to stay away from junk food so hopefully it won't take too much adjustment. Before this winter I had been on an 18 month slow but steady weight-loss path, but this winter got me back to where I had been last winter. It was just so blinkin' cold and dark.) I don't want that new summer wardrobe to go to waste so put me on the bandwagon. Together we shall succeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    I read something about that last year. The article stated that if you put the unhealthy stuff into not see-through containers and in the back of the cabinet/fridge and the healthy stuff into containers with at least a see-through lid and at the front of the cabinet/fridge you're more likely to take the healthy stuff. Because you see it, thus you realize it's there and because it's in the front, thus easy to reach.

Good luck to the both of you achieving your goal.
    Thanks for the tip! (Or maybe I should just stop buying the junk stuff in the first place....)
    I can give up most junk, but I have to allow myself dark chocolate and popcorn. Otherwise I feel like I am a bad person who needs to be punished, and then I crave it even more. I can't wait to get out and walk, this has been a ridiculous winter and it seems like it's not ending anytime soon.

vCash
    About the chocolate - this was the hardest craving to control for me. It doesn't take much to get me back on the train but I have managed to mostly eliminate it from my diet, most of the time. My aunt is a bit of a saboteur, bringing out all her Christmas-gift chocolate every time I am over despite my protests. If I really need a chocolate fix I try to make it a pudding or chocolate milk so at least I get the benefit of the added dairy.

About the popcorn - I still snack on it but pop it dry in the microwave and have tried to use spices in place of butter and salt, or nutritional yeast, sometimes with a drizzle of olive oil to help it stick, and sometimes I actually manage to enjoy it without any extras. For spices I think the combo I made up has smoky paprika, chili, cumin, and something else I am not remembering just now. A little of that goes a long way but apparently hot spices will rev up your metabolism. Any heat you generate as a result is calories burning. The nutritional yeast is actually my favourite as I find it tastes a bit like a mild cheese.

I have a microwave popping bowl now that works really well but you can simply put kernels in a paper bag, making sure to fold the end over pretty securely.

As for the rest of the junk food I seriously had to stop buying it, even for visitors, etc. If it is in the house it is sure to end up down the hatch, no matter how well hidden it is from sight.

vCash
    I wish to drop some pounds myself. Time will tell if I can get myself motivated enough to do so. So post your successes and hopefully that will help

vCash
    I've been working on this since mid September with Weight Watchers. I'm down 34.5 pounds. I have roughly another 22 to go if I'm to get into the range they suggest though I'm not sure I'm going to go that far. With a doctor's note I can stop where I feel comfortable. So far I've done it mostly with modifying portions and lots of walking. Fortunately I found an indoor track because this has been a brutal winter to try to walk outdoors. Two of my friends had falls, one resulting in large physio bills so outdoors has been a no go for awhile.

Chocolate is a huge craving for me too. One thing I've found that helps is chocolate flavoured teas believe it or not! There is a Stash brand chocolate hazelnut that I love and a President's Choice Chocolate Chai.

The tip about keeping the healthy stuff at the front is one I use too - and it helps but I also try to limit junk in the house. Lately I've found I'm okay with small individual portions so I've bought the snack size chocolate bars and chips and if I really want them, plan them into my daily allotment. I'll stop with just the small treat but if I had large bags or bars I'd finish them!

Another thing that really helps in the Weight Watchers program is tracking your food intake. I have a Weight Watchers app that I use on my iphone that keeps me on track. I think My Fitness Pal is another similar one so that's another good resource.

Good luck to all who are working on this. I love that you started this thread Skateboy!

vCash
    Thanks for the tip! (Or maybe I should just stop buying the junk stuff in the first place....)
    That could help, too

I can give up most junk, but I have to allow myself dark chocolate and popcorn.
    My mom (she's really into nutrition stuff) was told at one of her various classes that, if you eat one piece of chocolate and let it melt in your mouth rather than chew it's supposed to reduce the craving for more. Also, dark chocolate is much better than milk chocolate calory wise

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    My mom's a diebetic, so if anyone needs some good healthy recipes for losing weight and controlling diebetes at the same time, I'll post some.

Good luck!!! and good health!!!!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Best of luck to all those wishing to get healthier

For popcorn, I've found that it's hard to find a microwave brand that doesn't have a long list of unhealthy ingredients in it - but for Canadians, I think the President's Choice Blue Menu (Canadian brand) offers one with no butter, and only a bit of oil. And here are some fun ideas for tasty butter alternatives, including nutritional yeast that was already mentioned: 13 Ways to Jazz Up Popcorn.

vCash
    I've got a few pounds to lose too. Good luck to everyone!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I'm trying to lose some baby weight myself. I was pretty inconsistent until I started tracking my food intake with the my fitness pal app. It's made a huge difference! It really helps to force yourself to be accountable for what you eat. Good luck every one!

vCash
    I started back doing the (fake) weight watchers last week- it's an app called Ultimate Value Diary. Same basic thing, but it's $2.99, and no ongoing payments so definitely more economical than actually joining Weight Watchers. So far so good. I have 40 lbs of "break-up weight" I'd like to shed. It's doable, I've done it before. But boy does it ever suck!!
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

vCash
    I'm going on a diet too, although I am not calling it "going on a diet", as that is just too restrictive. So I am calling it, "stop shoving so much crap in your mouth".
    I love that description!

Thanks everyone, for the support and all the tips. I'm on my way to the supermarket where I'm buying ONLY good stuff. And I'm throwing out a package of corn dogs I have in the freezer. If I don't have the junk in my house, I can't eat it unless I make a special trip for it, but that's just too much trouble!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    (Or maybe I should just stop buying the junk stuff in the first place....)
    LOL, it took me a very long time to learn that trick!

BTW, dark chocolate is an essential food as far as I'm concerned, but as you know it's also a good snack/treat choice because you only need a small piece to feel satisfied.

Another snack I like for when I have salty cravings is snacking nori (seaweed). It tastes salty but is actually very low in sodium, has a crunch that's similar to potato chips (if you get the right brand), and has nutritional value too. Oh yeah, and delicious. The only thing I don't like about it is the over-packaging. And the fact that most brands come from Korea -- not that I have anything against Korea, I just try to buy as local as possible when I can.

Kale chips are pretty awesome too for a salty snack that feels like an indulgence -- crazy expensive to buy but I make my own. A dehydrator is great for making lots, but you can do them in the oven too.

vCash
    Please don't use a shitty fad diet, skateboy.

Just have 3 meals a day, at more or less set times as much as possible (optionally +2 snacks between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner), and make sure each is comprised of protein and complex carbs to keep your blood sugar level. And ideally you want to eat breakfast within one hour of waking up, for the same reason. Make sure you never go more than 6 hours without a meal (or your blood sugar will crash and your metabolism will slow down and you'll be liable for big sugar cravings). And have some kind of exercise every day. Even if it's a brisk walk or 15 minutes of dancing around the room to your favourite music, it'll help to keep your metabolism up.

vCash
    To cut the cravings for junk food, just don't buy them. Hiding them in the back of the shelves ain't gonna help b/c u know that they do exist. I find myself going for the healthy snacks if there are no junk food around.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast