Thread: Athleticism

vCash

Athleticism

With all the talk of sport v. art from the Olympics, I figured someone would post something like this. See for yourselves where athleticism is. (seeing is believing..) I won't bother with artistry for obvious reasons. :biggrin:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFuocB9GHE

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by usethis2 View Post
    With all the talk of sport v. art from the Olympics, I figured someone would post something like this. See for yourselves where athleticism is. (seeing is believing..) I won't bother with artistry for obvious reasons. :biggrin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyu8GYBRIjE

vCash

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFuocB9GHE
    Honestly, I'm not sure what that video is supposed to prove, especially from that angle. I can't see a whole lot of difference, except I suppose Adelina had more energy at the end of her program. What I noticed most is what I dislike about COP programs: slow and long step sequences and contorted spin combinations.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure what that video is supposed to prove, especially from that angle. I can't see a whole lot of difference, except I suppose Adelina had more energy at the end of her program. What I noticed most is what I dislike about COP programs: slow and long step sequences and contorted spin combinations.

vCash
    I think the skating speaks for itself. I just want more people will see (and think) for themselves. I won't try to persuade anyone to a specific direction. (To me the difference is night and day. )

Edit: Apparently my green bar became shorter because of my OP. Interesting.
    Last edited by usethis2; 03-03-2014 at 04:58 AM.

vCash
    I am hoping even higher quality videos will be made public in the future. Olympics are supposedly a global event where every human being celebrates human excellence and remembers participation, and today's commercialized and politically motivated broadcast restrictions on speech and public records do not jibe with spirit of the Olympics.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    I am hoping even higher quality videos will be made public in the future. Olympics are supposedly a global event where every human being celebrates human excellence and remembers participation, and today's commercialized and politically motivated broadcast restrictions on speech and public records do not jibe with spirit of the Olympics.
    This old clip has more than enough quality to show the most athletic Lady skater ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvgWI8QDrzQ

On the American clip of the same event Scott Hamilton said "just an unbelievable jumping display. It will be 50 years before we see another Midori Ito."

Got me thinking, almost 25 years have passed and I believe Scott's declaration is still valid.

That 3A, just wow. Hoping someday Jason, not to mention Patrick come close to it.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPy9Jazifns

Well, if we are going to reference non-Olympic performances, we might as well reference Midori at 1989 NHK.