vCash

Exclamation Skate Guard Interview With Sarah Kawahara

Sarah Kawahara has lived more her in her life so far on the ice than most people could ever dream of. Her own skating career saw her train with legendary Canadian coach Osborne Colson, who also coached skating greats like Barbara Ann Scott, Donald Jackson and Patrick Chan. She toured with Ice Capades for years as a principal performer before turning to the world of choreography, her work earning her two Emmy Awards to date. She's choreographed the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics and for the hit movie Blades Of Glory. She's choreographed television specials starring skating greats like Peggy Fleming, Michelle Kwan and Scott Hamilton, for skating tours Stars On Ice, Ice Capades, Champions On Ice, Holiday On Ice and Disney On Ice. She's choreographed for a who's who of the skating world including Olympic Gold Medallists Scott Hamilton, John Curry, Dorothy Hamill, Robin Cousins, Ilia Kulik, Kristi Yamaguchi, Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov, Oksana Baiul, Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko, Viktor Petrenko and skating legends like Michelle Kwan, Kurt Browning, Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner, Surya Bonaly, Nancy Kerrigan, Lu Chen, Charlie Tickner and Christopher Bowman. The depth to her talent is really unknowing and the quality of the huge body of work she's produced over the years is immeasurable. It was my absolute privilege to interview Sarah and talk about her own skating career, choreography, working with John Curry and Toller Cranston and much, much more in this fantastic interview:

http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard (link to interview on Facebook)
    http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2014/...-kawahara.html (blog)

vCash
    Beautiful interview. There's so much thought and intelligence Sarah Kawahara brings to her choreography. I am happy to have gained some insight regarding her work and what motivates her in skating. You hit the nail on the head in that Kawahara's choreography was never simple but was actually quite complexed and layered.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    That's a really good point, VIETgrlTerifa. Her work is really SO multi-layered and INTELLIGENTLY choreographed to the music. It's also really so versatile. You're not watching a piece she's created and feeling like you've seen the same program to different music before by another skater. I'm glad you enjoyed! Interviewing her was a dream.

vCash
    That was a wonderful interview.
    Thank you so much.

Imagine, having such a long-term relationship with a coach; as she did with Mr. Colson.
    It's great to know that Toller Cranston was such an influence and inspiration,

I left some thoughts on your FB page, also.

vCash
    Glad you enjoyed, skatesindreams!

I couldn't imagine having a coaching relationship that was that long, but you know, if people just like they do in life, there's so much value that can come from continuing to learn and grow TOGETHER at something. Sarah's body of work is simply staggering if you think about it.