View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • March 14th - Veronica Mars - Mystery with Kristen Bell, Jamie Lee Curtis, and James Franco

10 21.28%
  • March 21st - Divergent - Action Sci-Fi with Shailene Woodley, Kate Winslet and Ashley Judd

13 27.66%
  • March 21st - Muppets Most Wanted - Comedy with Ricky Gervais and Tina Fey

14 29.79%
  • March 28th - Noah - Drama with Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson

13 27.66%
  • April 4th - Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Action with Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson

23 48.94%
  • April 11th - Rio 2 - Family Adventure with Anne Hathaway, Jamie Foxx and Rita Moreno

5 10.64%
  • April 18th – Transcendence - Sci-Fi Thriller with Johnny Depp and Morgan Freeman

9 19.15%
  • May 2nd - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Adventure with Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone

10 21.28%
  • May 16th - Godzilla - Sci-Fi with Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe

13 27.66%
  • May 23rd - X-Men: Days of Future Past - Sci-Fi with Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence

19 40.43%
  • May 30th - Maleficent - Fantasy with Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning and Sharlto Copley

29 61.70%
  • May 30th - A Million Ways to Die in the West - Comedy with Seth MacFarlane and Charlize Theron

3 6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    Some new movie trailers:

Devil's Knot (May 9th) with a lot of names I recognize, the biggest being Reese Witherspoon and Colin Firth. This one is about three teenagers accused of killing some children as part of a satanic ritual. Sounds pretty much like the West Memphis Three story.
    The trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJFFcIQgPfI
    It is the West Memphis Three story, based on Mara Leveret's book of the same title.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I bought myself "All Is Lost" for my birthday. I'll let you know what I thought of it when I get my dvd player down here..
    Have a nice day!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    I bought myself "All Is Lost" for my birthday. I'll let you know what I thought of it when I get my dvd player down here..
    Spoiler alert: there is no tiger in this movie. Not one.

Seriously though ... I thought it was a very good movie, very intimate, very immediate. And I'm still baffled as to how Redford didn't get an Oscar nomination, he was superb. It was, though, more of a technical movie than a story, IMO.

vCash
    Yesterday I finished a moved called "In A World..." which is all about voice-over actors, specifically movie trailer voice-overs and more specifically how that work has been dominated by men. It's actually a comedy (well, maybe a dramedy) written, directed and starring Lake Bell alone with a few other people you will recognize whose names are escaping me right now! It's pretty good, it almost lost me at the 1/3rd mark, but it really picked up after that. Plus there's cameos from Geena Davis and Cameron Diaz, the former who the world of movies needs to invite back into their world!!!
    For a first project as director/writer, I thought Lake Bell did pretty well, though it trended more towards fluffy romantic comedy rather than commentary on the entertainment industry in the second half.

A foreign movie that probably should have had more distribution in North America this winter is the Japanese movie "Like Father Like Son" from Hirokazu Koreeda, which only made it to 35 theatres continent wide. I believe this film was released too late to be in the running as Japan's entrant for the Best Foreign Film at the Oscars, though it did grab a Golden Globe nomination. Keep in mind that Steven Spielberg has already bought the rights to produce the English remake of this film, but still not filming dates and casting details have been announced.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

Seriously though ... I thought it was a very good movie, very intimate, very immediate. And I'm still baffled as to how Redford didn't get an Oscar nomination, he was superb. It was, though, more of a technical movie than a story, IMO.
    ita, i loved him in that
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    There are so many movies that I'm going to split them into two posts. The first includes those already mentioned earlier in the thread (in bold), followed by seven that are going on my To See list. Some quick comments about those seven at the end of this post.

March 21st - Divergent - Action Sci-Fi with Shailene Woodley, Kate Winslet, Zoe Kravitz, Maggie Q, Jai Courtney, Theo James, Ray Stevenson, Mekhi Phifer, Miles Teller, Ashley Judd and Tony Goldwyn
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw7Eln_xuWc
    16 million views

March 21st - Muppets Most Wanted - Family Musical Comedy with Ricky Gervais, Tina Fey and Ty Burrell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV5x6QMuYjg
    7 million views

March 21st - Jodorowsky's Dune – Documentary. From imdb.com: “The story of cult film director Alejandro Jodorowsky's ambitious but ultimately doomed film adaptation of the seminal science fiction novel.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dywGFB6-VzY

March 21st - Birder's Guide to Everything – Comedy with Ben Kingsley, Kodi Smit-McPhee and James Le Gros
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cup5DCy3cP0

March 21st – Anita – Documentary. From imdb.com: “the story about a young, brilliant African American Anita Hill who accuses the Supreme Court nominee Clarence Thomas of unwanted sexual advances during explosive Senate Hearings”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGrWaCCVfq0

March 21st - Blood Ties – Crime drama with Clive Owen, Marion Cotillard, Billy Crudup, Mila Kunis, Zoe Saldana, Matthias Schoenaerts, James Caan and Lili Taylor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvmEzT2VKM

March 21st - It Felt Like Love – Drama with new cast. From imdb.com: “Lila wants to emulate the sexual exploits of her more experienced best friend. She fixates on a tough older guy who will "sleep with anyone" and tries to insert herself into his world, putting herself in a dangerously vulnerable situation.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZtTY-dqayc

March 21st - Rob the Mob – Crime drama with Andy Garcia, Michael Pitt, Ray Romano and Burt Young
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aDphVOLHPo

March 21st - Cheap Thrills – Comedy thriller with Pat Healy, Ethan Embry and Sara Paxton
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLiWbTn1RpE

March 21st - Maladies – Drama with James Franco, Catherine Keener, David Strathairn and Alan Cumming
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcPMAyf0USk

Birder's Guide to Everything - Looks sweet and funny in a week of a LOT of dramas
    Anita - This looks very intense. I did not follow this trial, so I know very little about what Anita Hill went through
    Blood Ties - Might be too intense for me, but I can't so no to a movie with this cast
    It Felt Like Love - This one really took me by surprise. I thought it might be a pretentious European film, but it looks like a startling, powerful drama
    Rob the Mob - This one looks like a lot of fun and brilliantly directed
    Cheap Thrills - Not sure if I'll end up loving or hating this one, but it looks very original
    Maladies - At first I thought this was going to be one of Franco's meandering art projects, but it looks very intriguing!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Now just because these aren't on my To See list, it doesn't mean I think they'll be bad movies. But some of them will be, I'm sure! Thoughts again at the end.

March 21st - Just a Sigh – Romantic drama with Gabriel Byrne and Emmanuelle Devos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSiBf6PNr2w

March 21st - John Doe: Vigilante – Crime thriller with Daniel Lissing, Jamie Bamber and Lachy Hulme
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBqEysLcJ-s

March 21st - McCanick – Crime drama with David Morse, Mike Vogel and Cory Monteith
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx9-cMZ9J_8

March 21st - 50 to 1 – Drama with Skeet Ulrich, Christian Kane and William Devane
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwV9KljqsFU

March 21st - Stay – Drama with Taylor Schilling, Aidan Quinn and Michael Ironside
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQxbd52fP44

March 21st - God's Not Dead – Christian drama with new cast and Kevin Sorbo and Dean Cain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMjo5f9eiX8
    4.2 million views

March 19th - The Missing Picture – Documentary. From imdb.com: “Rithy Panh uses clay figures, archival footage, and his narration to recreate the atrocities Cambodia's Khmer Rouge committed between 1975 and 1979.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tZL5S5thvs

March 21st - Nymphomaniac: Volume I – Drama with Charlotte Gainsbourg, Stellan Skarsgård, Shia Le Beouf, Christian Slater and Uma Thurman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdxzno5Xp2Y
    5 million views

Just a Sigh - I almost put this one my list, it looks interesting, but a bit too quiet in tone overall
    John Doe: Vigilante - Looks good, but the subject matter is too dark for me, I need lighter stuff these days
    McCanick - Another dark movie. I wanted to put it on my list because Cory Monteith is one of the stars, but he's barely in the trailer
    50 to 1 - This one will probably go on my To See list, not because it looks like an amazing movie, but because it might feature some hot cowboys
    Stay - I love Taylor Schilling but this one looks like SUCH a quiet movie...quiet to the point of being comatose...
    God's Not Dead -
    The Missing Picture - Might be an interesting movie...but not by this trailer!!
    Nymphomaniac: Volume I - Lars Von Trier started out his career so well with some brilliant, important movies. But he's using his films for his own personal therapy sessions and that's both blech and irresponsible.

vCash
    My most recent viewing is a movie called The Eclipse. It is about a widower who volunteers at an annual literary festival in his hometown. He hasn't gotten over leaving his wife and his father-in-law is in poor health. He has images of both and it is unclear if these are dreams or something else. Two of the authors he chaperones have not just a personal connection, but both write books that involve the supernatural. The movie explores the ways the lives of these three people intertwine with a supernatural background to make it all just a little more complicated! It stars Ciaran Hinds and Aidan Quinn and I've seen the female lead before, but can't place her. She's great though, as are the two male leads.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    March 21st - Birder's Guide to Everything – Comedy with Ben Kingsley, Kodi Smit-McPhee and James Le Gros
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cup5DCy3cP0
    I hadn't heard about this one, but it looks like fun. Ben Kingsley is one of those people who makes me more interested in a movie when I see he is in the cast. I can't remember him ever giving a bad performance or being in a bad movie.

vCash
    Just noticed that one of our local theatres is playing The Lunchbox, which is an absolutely charming film from India. I saw it at the VIFF this year in a capacity theatre with 3 levels and the entire audience with all demographics was completely transported. It's a very sweet narrative about a lonely man and a lonely woman whom find connection through a mis-delivered lunchbox. The power of food. And Imagination.

I heard that The Lunchbox was considered as the nominee for consideration for the best foreign film category of the Academy Awards. It's one of the best movie going experiences I've had in the last couple of years.

I saw the Lego movie and loved it as well. Such a fun time at the theatre.

Can't wait, just out of my mind excited about Grand Budapest Hotel. Moonrise Kingdom was my fave film of the year it came out.

vCash
    I hadn't heard about this one, but it looks like fun. Ben Kingsley is one of those people who makes me more interested in a movie when I see he is in the cast. I can't remember him ever giving a bad performance or being in a bad movie.
    Bad performance, no. Definitely not capable. Bad movie ... yes, unfortunately. (Although that of course is subjective.) The Love Guru was completely, embarrassingly awful. The Dictator and Prince of Persia were drek too, IMO. And I quite liked Sneakers but a lot of others hated it (and it was a bomb at the box office IIRC). The guy's done over 100 movies, they can't all be Ghandi and Shindler's List.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    Just noticed that one of our local theatres is playing The Lunchbox, which is an absolutely charming film from India. I saw it at the VIFF this year in a capacity theatre with 3 levels and the entire audience with all demographics was completely transported. It's a very sweet narrative about a lonely man and a lonely woman whom find connection through a mis-delivered lunchbox. The power of food. And Imagination.

I heard that The Lunchbox was considered as the nominee for consideration for the best foreign film category of the Academy Awards. It's one of the best movie going experiences I've had in the last couple of years.
    I missed The Lunchbox when it played at VIFF so I'm happy it's getting wider release. Hoping to find a place to see this soon before it disappears (tho you'd think the huge Indo-Canadian population here in Vancouver would encourage movie theatre managers to keep it on the screens for a while ...).

It also stars Irfan Khan, one of my favourite Indian actors -- North Americans might remember him as the adult Pi in Life of Pi, as well as from a season of In Treatment.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I just came back from the Lego Movie. IT WAS AWESOME!

It's cute enough for kids, but I chortled at the beginning where there were a lot of subtle themes that adults would tooootally get.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I've been a fan of Kevin Zegers ever since Transamerica, so I was happy to get a copy of "The Colony" from the library. It doesn't have a very high rating on imdb.com, but I thought it was a pretty decent escape movie. A post-apocalyptic tale where the Earth has been plunged into below zero temperatures and people are living underground with limited connection with other colonies in their area. They lose contact with the closest colony and a group travel through the cold to find out what has happened. The movie co-stars Laurence Fishburne and Bill Paxton. I found it a fairly fun way to spend an evening with some good snacks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I think there may end up being some backlash from the Christians in relation to Noah. My moms been reading some stuff about it and apparently there is a very strong "save the environment" theme running through it. Since Christians get very up in arms anytime something looks like its being changed from what the Bible says there could be a lot of very annoyed Bible thumpers when the movie comes out.
    What about the part in the trailer where Anthony Hopkins rallies all his warrior/bad-guy buddies to wage a war against Noah? I haven't memorized the Bible, but I don't recall anything like this being part of the Norah story...

Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Noah was actually the movie I screen-tested back in October. I am itching to say so many things but I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to (but then where is everyone getting their information?)
    Will you be spilling all the beans next Friday (when the movie is released)?

having a nice day
    vCash
    I watched "Beowulf" this afternoon. Grrrrreat cheezy fun in an interesting visual style. Plus it's a really compelling legend. Loved the lol dialogue. A new sekret cult fav film for me :-)
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Hearing reports Divergent isn't good =(

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    What about the part in the trailer where Anthony Hopkins rallies all his warrior/bad-guy buddies to wage a war against Noah? I haven't memorized the Bible, but I don't recall anything like this being part of the Norah story...
    I had forgotten about that bit. I'm not one to tell people they can't take artistic license, but I really do think when someone is making a movie like this, it really is meant to appeal to a very large, very specific group of people and the production company would, in theory anyway, want to stop that so as not to risk ticking off a significant portion of the potential audience.

Quote Originally Posted by halffull View Post
    Hearing reports Divergent isn't good =(
    I kind of wondered. The trailer wasn't optimistic. They couldn't even find lines from the hot obvious boyfriend type guy that were delivered convincingly to put in the trailer. I considered it for Kate Winslet. I don't think I've seen her play a villain before. But I'll wait until I can watch it for free.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Last night watched American Psycho. Obviously had heard a lot of about it because of the book (I worked in a library at the time it came out so it was big news and we had to only issue it out to people over 18).

I did find it one of those confusing movies where you had to suspend disbelief between the story and the characters own imagination. I love Christian Bale as an actor and I really liked the way he played the character. This kind of person who talks in narrative rather than conversation because he was meant to be a commentary on the 80s. But maybe I found the whole thing between his imagination and what was reality wasn't clean cut or needed to be more clearly explained or defined for it to make sense. I can appreciate a director deciding to do that but still I thought it sometimes got a bit silly as well.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I saw Jodorowsky's Dune yesterday. Documentaries are not something I watch in theatres normally but I had to see this one because I was eager to see just how much more messed up Jodo's vision for Dune was than David Lynch's. And while Dune devotees would not have appreciated the changes to the story, I would have loved to have seen this just to see the fortress shaped like Orson Welles as Baron Harkonnen and Dali as the Emperor and Mick Jagger as Feyd Reutha.

The beauty of this documentary is that had the film been made, it would probably have been a box office disaster. But the whole creative process to plot the story and make the storyboards influenced so much of Hollywood in later films. HR Giger, for example,had never worked on films before Dune, but he ended up appropriating his unused Dune concepts for Alien.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Last night watched American Psycho. Obviously had heard a lot of about it because of the book (I worked in a library at the time it came out so it was big news and we had to only issue it out to people over 18).

I did find it one of those confusing movies where you had to suspend disbelief between the story and the characters own imagination. I love Christian Bale as an actor and I really liked the way he played the character. This kind of person who talks in narrative rather than conversation because he was meant to be a commentary on the 80s. But maybe I found the whole thing between his imagination and what was reality wasn't clean cut or needed to be more clearly explained or defined for it to make sense. I can appreciate a director deciding to do that but still I thought it sometimes got a bit silly as well.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?
    A favorite Bale performance. Was discussing this one just Friday with a colleague. Yes, it's ridiculous, silly, downright outrageous - loved it.

vCash
    The new Muppet movie was cute. Not quite as good as the previous one -- the songs, in particular, weren't as good -- but a lot of fun nonetheless. And I spotted Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Bonneville, and Josh Groban all by myself, so I'm pretty pleased with myself right now. (Ordinarily I'm not that good at celebrity cameos.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast