View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • March 14th - Veronica Mars - Mystery with Kristen Bell, Jamie Lee Curtis, and James Franco

10 21.28%
  • March 21st - Divergent - Action Sci-Fi with Shailene Woodley, Kate Winslet and Ashley Judd

13 27.66%
  • March 21st - Muppets Most Wanted - Comedy with Ricky Gervais and Tina Fey

14 29.79%
  • March 28th - Noah - Drama with Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson

13 27.66%
  • April 4th - Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Action with Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson

23 48.94%
  • April 11th - Rio 2 - Family Adventure with Anne Hathaway, Jamie Foxx and Rita Moreno

5 10.64%
  • April 18th – Transcendence - Sci-Fi Thriller with Johnny Depp and Morgan Freeman

9 19.15%
  • May 2nd - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Adventure with Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone

10 21.28%
  • May 16th - Godzilla - Sci-Fi with Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe

13 27.66%
  • May 23rd - X-Men: Days of Future Past - Sci-Fi with Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence

19 40.43%
  • May 30th - Maleficent - Fantasy with Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning and Sharlto Copley

29 61.70%
  • May 30th - A Million Ways to Die in the West - Comedy with Seth MacFarlane and Charlize Theron

3 6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    Strong Female Characters Still Underrepresented in Hollywood, New Study Shows
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...racters-687392

The "It’s a Man's (Celluloid) World" survey, which was released by Martha M. Lauzen, executive director of the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film at San Diego State University, revealed that women accounted for only 15 percent of protagonists, 29 percent of major characters and 30 percent of speaking characters in the top 100 (domestic) grossing films of 2013.
    Conventional wisdom would seem to say that, all other things being equal, the majority of male ticket-buying are far more interested in plunking down their money for a movie with a male protagonist than one with a female lead, while women are equally willing to pay for male or female lead characters. But I have to wonder if that's a chicken-and-egg thing: if we had better choices in our female-centred movies, would we be more discriminating with our movie dollars?

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I thought Miles Teller was great, but his role probably should have been filled by a somewhat better looking actor. It seemed unrealistic for me to think Woodley's character would be so into Teller when she had so much more going for than he did with his life. I recommend the movie though. And it was nice to see Jennifer Jason Leigh and Kyle Chandler in smaller roles.
    I thought Miles Teller was amazing in that film, and I don't think they tried to sell the movie as anything other than a slice-of-life movie. I think the title is in reference to those people whose "greatest time in life" is when they were popular in high school. Greatest looking actor? Hardly, but I'd rather see someone who can actually act well than some unbelievable heartthrob type like Zac Efron. I though Shailene Woodley was brilliant in that movie too. The only thing that disappointment me was that the third act was so rushed. Not sure if that is how the book was or not, but for me it the rest of the movie was much more emotionally rich. Because I've (so far) like Shailene Woodley in every movie I've seen her in, I'll be hopefully that "Divergent" is at least watchable for her performance. I just started the book and it is not really gripping me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Why so few? :O It looks really good!
    "The Grand Budapest Hotel" will be expanding all over the country later this month.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Yesterday I finished a moved called "In A World..." which is all about voice-over actors, specifically movie trailer voice-overs and more specifically how that work has been dominated by men. It's actually a comedy (well, maybe a dramedy) written, directed and starring Lake Bell alone with a few other people you will recognize whose names are escaping me right now! It's pretty good, it almost lost me at the 1/3rd mark, but it really picked up after that. Plus there's cameos from Geena Davis and Cameron Diaz, the former who the world of movies needs to invite back into their world!!!

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    "The Grand Budapest Hotel" will be expanding all over the country later this month.
    I hope that includes Canada too.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    I guess I am the only person in the universe who saw the trailer for The Grand Budapest Hotel at my local cinema and thought it looked absolutely awful. Y'all have a good time without me.

I saw Omar, one of the Oscar-nominated foreign films, over the weekend. Anyone else seen it? I liked it.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Since you all know I pretty much want to marry Melissa McCarthy and have all her babies, you probably won't be surprised that I loooooooved "The Heat". The first hour was beyond amazing (as in hilarious) and the second hour was still good even though it moved into the standard cop movie storyline. One thing that was quite amazing about the movie in that McCarthy is the main funny guy and Bullock is the straight man...yet Bullock was pretty damn funny as well. Usually one person plays the foil to set up the funny bits for the other, but Bullock really made her role something special. She was probably better in The Heat than in Gravity. But the Oscars don't respect comedy as often as they should. Two thumbs way up for my gals!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Divergent (saw that trailer like a hundred times in theaters! I have started closing my eyes every time it comes up on the screen ). However, this means I am stuck for 3 years since it's a trilogy. I may just read the books in one month, like I did for the Hunger Games.
    You know trilogies make four movies, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    The name "Days of Future Past" makes me . Sounds like they put a bunch of words in a hat and pulled a few out.
    Maybe the posters the day this movie is released will read "Days of Future Past: NOW!!!"

vCash
    That's good to know

vCash
    Yesterday I finished a moved called "In A World..." which is all about voice-over actors, specifically movie trailer voice-overs and more specifically how that work has been dominated by men. It's actually a comedy (well, maybe a dramedy) written, directed and starring Lake Bell alone with a few other people you will recognize whose names are escaping me right now! It's pretty good, it almost lost me at the 1/3rd mark, but it really picked up after that. Plus there's cameos from Geena Davis and Cameron Diaz, the former who the world of movies needs to invite back into their world!!!
    I enjoyed that one too. It was interesting how they wove in the feminist message in a way that was both serious and satirical at the same time. Very entertaining in an indie-film kind of way iykwim.

vCash
    .........hopefully that "Divergent" is at least watchable for her performance. I just started the book and it is not really gripping me yet.
    I am about 150 pages into it. It's a quick read, but just ok for me too.

Thank you.

I did not know what the show "Veronica Mars" was about until this morning. The movie looks interesting. Apparently the show had quite a few episodes so I'm not going to try to watch them before watching the film.

vCash
    Saw a few movies over the past few weeks:

1) Argo--finally! I really loved it. I understand some Canadians (and some intimately involved) have issues, but I don't think the problems are that bad, IMO. Not as annoying as Janeites or Harry Potter fans, but if the film did what some critics demanded, the movie would not nearly be as good. The building tension was intense and I not only appreciated the attention to 70s detail, I liked how the movie itself resembled a 70s movie. Quite refreshing.

2) As Cool As I Am--or "TEENAGED GIRLS SHOULD NEVER HAVE SEX, EVER!" Starring Sarah Bolger, James Marsden and Claire Danes, the movie was kinda awful.

3) The Year I Thought Dolly Parton Was My Mom - A Canadian film that kinda meanders. I did like the music.

4) The Phantoms - Another Canadian film about a small New Brunswick school that decides to reinstate its basketball program despite the team from last season dying in a tragic car accident. Alright, in a Canadian Family Channel kinda way.

ETA: I have never in my life dropped the last "T" in "Toronto", nor have I ever heard anyone do this. Is this an east coast thing?
    Last edited by manhn; 03-14-2014 at 04:54 AM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just finished watching Unfinished Song (which might have been released in the U.K. as "Song For Marion"). It was sweet and touching and I highly recommend it. Terence Stamp and Vanessa Redgrave were so wonderful. And Gemma Arterton is my new favourite actress. I mentioned seeing her in Byzantium a little while ago and the difference in these two characters are quite dramatic. Made me think a little bit about how Daniel Day-Lewis started out and how people couldn't believe it was the same person in both My Beautiful Launderette and A Room With A View. Now I want to see "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" which I had no interest in, but now want to see just to get some Arterton fix! I do like Jeremy Renner, so I'll enjoy it for him as well. Anyway, make sure your Kleenex box is handy when you watch Unfinished Song. It's a movie with a big heart, so if you are ever feeling down, you should check this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    ETA: I have never in my life dropped the last "T" in "Toronto", nor have I ever heard anyone do this. Is this an east coast thing?
    I think so. Some pronounce it Toronnuh, right?

vCash
    1) Argo--finally! I really loved it. I understand some Canadians (and some intimately involved) have issues, but I don't think the problems are that bad, IMO. Not as annoying as Janeites or Harry Potter fans, but if the film did what some critics demanded, the movie would not nearly be as good. The building tension was intense and I not only appreciated the attention to 70s detail, I liked how the movie itself resembled a 70s movie. Quite refreshing.
    I think "would not have been as much of a commercial success (in the USA)" is really more accurate. Whether or not it would have been "as good" is impossible to say, since Afflek didn't make that movie.

I enjoyed Argo very much, definitely entertaining and well-crafted -- and ITA about the 70s detail. That doesn't stop me from being disappointed that they strayed from historical accuracy when they didn't need to. Comparing it to film adaptations of Jane Austen or Harry Potter is a bit pointless, though -- changing one work of fiction to another is fair game. A better comparison would be to Hotel Rwanda, which changed a few details of a real event and characters for cinematic purposes but maintained the integrity of what actually happened. Or to U-572, which changed historical events to pander to an American audience in a way that was both laughable and insulting. Argo is, IMO, somewhere in between those extremes.

BTW, I highly recommend you see the documentary Our Man in Tehran. Not only does it tell the real story of what happened, it's highly entertaining in its own right.

(I've only ever said "Toronah" ironically. But I'm West Coast. I don't know if that makes a difference.)

vCash
    I drop the "t" and I'm from Saskatchewan (although I say it more like "Toronoh" rather than "Toronah"/"Toronnuh"). I never really noticed that I dropped the "t" until I moved to the U.S. and their pronunciation with the "t" sounded weird. When the character in Argo pronounced it that way, my first thought was that it didn't sound very Canadian, so I was PML that Ben Affleck's character corrected her right away.

So after years of meaning to see Gosford Park, I finally got around to it after all the positive comments I kept seeing in the Downton Abbey thread. I had been slow to get around to it because the idea of a whodunit didn't really interest me, but that was a mistake on my part. Loved the period detail, the upstairs/downstairs dynamic, the character development, and how the mystery eventually unravelled. My only complaint was that I had a bit of trouble following who some of the characters are, which is my own fault for doing things like cooking dinner while I watched. I think it bears re-watching with a little more attention...I suspect there will be clues that I didn't notice on the first watch.

vCash
    Some new movie trailers:

Hateship Loveship (April 11th) is a drama based on an Alice Munro short story and stars Kristen Wiig, Guy Pearce, Hailee Steinfeld
    The trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5iIx8bMjAI

Tracks (May 2nd...in Canada?), an adventure drama starring Mia Wasikowska as a young woman who walks across Australia with four camels and her dog. From the producers of The King's Speech.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-DiOyxCQQI

Devil's Knot (May 9th) with a lot of names I recognize, the biggest being Reese Witherspoon and Colin Firth. This one is about three teenagers accused of killing some children as part of a satanic ritual. Sounds pretty much like the West Memphis Three story.
    The trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJFFcIQgPfI

Boxtrolls (September 26th) is just another animated feature about underground cave-dwelling trash collectors. Based on a children's novel by Alan Snow.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjM8v3hxZg8

Sin City: A Dame to Die For (original title was A Dame To Kill For), out in August, sequel to the first one! You should check out the cast list for this, TONS of famous people part two.
    The trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPyFd_wvnYo

Pioneer (no release date yet?) is a thriller starring Wes Bentley about the oil boom in Norway in the early 80's where a tragic accident occurs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTT8DN4CZw

vCash
    I loved the Veronica Mars movie. It was really satisfying. Veronica was her usual bad ass self. I'm a happy marshmallow. And not everything wrapped up neatly, which was nice and makes me wonder if more movies are in the works. On a random note, Ryan Hansen was hysterical, love that Dick Casablancas
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Am I finally warming up to Sofia Coppola? "The Bling Ring" was probably my favourite movie of hers. Although I thought Marie Antoinette was quite good also. Somewhere was decent. Lost In Translation is still on my To See list. The Virgin Suicides was a movie that I saw in the theatre, the second of a double bill. I left early because I found it tough to get into and I wanted to go home and go to bed. I believe I finished watching this movie over the last few years, but can't remember. Not a good sign...

Anyway, I really enjoyed The Bling Ring. Very well made and enjoyable through and through. I love seeing all the Harry Potter kids doing so well in all the movie projects they are taking on. They are all so smart, choosing good movies and not getting into any kind of trouble like some of their American counterparts. Maybe the troubled young American actors should be shipped to Britain and the Brits can make them shape up?

Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    And an additional different note. Johnny Depp is one of the nicest public people. He filmed in this area of Wisconsin and was very tolerant and kind.
    I like to encourage this behavior.
    Good to hear. I will have to stalk him out if he ever films north of the border!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    On an entirely different note. What is with all the religious themed movies coming out. I know that supposedly there is a ready-made audience for them, but geez.
    I think that if a studio can make money off a movie, they'll make movies in that genre. The Son of God movie was a great move money-wise. It had already been filmed as part of The Bible mini-series on TV and they just spliced together all the parts about Jesus into a two-hour movie...and it's made them 50 million so far. Remember, if you film it...they will come. Now we just have to wait to see if the Noah movie floats or sinks. (SORRY!!!!!)

vCash
    I watched 'The Wolf of Wall Street'.

Good acting by LDC and what's his name (sorry - not remembering at the moment). But, I thought the film was a bit OTT - almost gratuitously graphic images of sex and drugs-taking. but, maybe Martin Scorsese wanted it that way to show Wall Street excesses.

vCash
    It was bittersweet to watch Enough Said this weekend. One of James Gandolfini's last movies. It was pretty good, an interesting story about two middle-aged people working on a new romance. Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is his co-star and I liked seeing her in more of a dramatic movie (it has some funny moments). I've read that Gandolfini's character in this movie is much, much closer to his personality than some of his other roles (like in the Sopranos). So that was the bittersweet part, that we've lost such a sweet guy.

A video that I thought was pretty cool:

31 Random Movie Facts You Need To Know
    http://ca.movies.yahoo.com/video/31-...5702.html?vp=1

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Okay, with last week's movie trailers I asked everybody whether the Fast & Furious rip-off or Tyler Perry would come out on top on the weekend. After all the discussion of this hot topic... ...the answer is...neither. And neither took the top spot, Need for Speed only managed a #3 debut with 17 million...on a 66 million budget. Ouch. I'm betting the studios behind this movie are hoping now for big overseas box office returns. OOPS...just saw now on another site about that number:

But the movie raced to the top of the international box office, bringing in $45.6 million.
    So is Aaron Paul the new box office action star??

Tyler Perry's The Single Moms Club debuted at #5 with eight million in box office. I looked at about four different sites and could not find budget info for this movie. But we talked about directors a while back who had the most debuts with 20 million box office or more for the first week of release and Perry was high up on that list. This one won't help him move up that list. Perry added more caucasian actors to the cast it seems, wonder if he was hoping to broaden his market...but did not succeed?

That leaves the top two posts open on the chart and last weeks top two films switched places. Mr. Peabody & Sherman rises to #1 and takes in almost 22 million. 300: Rise of an Empire takes a -57% drop but made 19 million.

The Grand Budapest Hotel expands from four theatres to 66 and has a +348% jump in revenue with $55,122 per theatre average. The next best average is Veronica Mars ($6,833), which debuts way down at #11 and made under two million dollars. The budget was six million, so not sure if there will be a Veronica Mars II.

And lastly, the only Box Office Total milestone this week is for The Son of God movie, which has passed the 50 million mark.

vCash
    Movie News - The Sci-Fi Version!

'Ghostbusters 3' to Shoot in Early 2015 But Ivan Reitman Won't Direct
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/gho...n-wont-direct/

The article mentions that this will be a re-boot instead of a sequel to the first two movies.

Watch: Jeff Bridges is 'The Giver' in YA Sci-Fi Adaptation First Trailer
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/wat...fi-adaptation/

Lois Lowry’s iconic young adult novel comes to the big screen August 15th and stars Jeff Bridges and Meryl Streep. Can’t wait!!!

George R.R. Martin Says 'Game of Thrones' Movies Are a Possibility
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/geo...a-possibility/

Author Martin is quoted in this article:

"It all depends on how long the main series runs Do we run for seven years? Do we run for eight? Do we run for 10? The books get bigger and bigger (in scope). It might need a feature to tie things up, something with a feature budget, like $100 million for two hours. Those dragons get real big, you know."

Full Theatrical Trailer for Amblin-Inspired Sci-Fi 'Earth to Echo' is Here
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/ful...-echo-is-here/

Comparisons made to Spielberg’s “E.T.” This one looks good!!

Must Watch: First Trailer for Fantastic Indie Sci-Fi 'The Signal' Arrives
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/mus...ignal-arrives/

One reveiwer compares this one to District 9. While it looks like The Signal is a movie I’d like to see, after viewing the trailer I’m not sure I’d go as far as saying this will be as good as District 9. Maybe a future trailer will make me think otherwise.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast