View Poll Results: Does Chan's lack of OGM take him out of contention for all-time Top 5?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 38.14%
  • No

60 61.86%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    *shrug* everyone and their kid cousin seems to have hated Sonja Henie's guts, yet she'd be on my top 5 list in a heartbeat.
    Well she has 3 OGMs and was a successful Hollywood star.. So far I'm not seeing those things in Chan's future.

vCash
    *shrug* everyone and their kid cousin seems to have hated Sonja Henie's guts, yet she'd be on my top 5 list in a heartbeat.
    No, the public loved Sonja until her political associations were revealed. It is probably why Norway is such a great Olympic power in most events aside from figure skating.
    In Norway to this day Nazi sympathizers are reviled.

vCash
    Also, she skated a very long time ago and had like little competition. I think people will remember Chan, just probably not as fondly as Daisuke, who had far more memorable programs during his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Also, she skated a very long time ago and had like little competition.
    And nobody ever mentions that Sonja came in dead last at her first Olympics. So what if she was only six years old at the time
    Considering there were only five other competitors one might think she could at least finished fourth.

Don't forget that today fourth place and a BOW gets you to the Olympics where finishing 7th is considered both redemption and getting gypped at the same time.

Or that winning the OGM with some of the greatest technical skating every seen by a Lady on Olympic Ice is considered little more than the the product of a fix.

Patrick realized a while ago he could have picked a better sport or discipline to excel in.
    Last edited by MrLucky; 03-01-2014 at 09:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    I think the personality/likability factor is also something against him. A lot of people just don't like him for whatever reason - maybe it's the Anne Hathaway unknown but many people just seem to find it hard to root for him (and I'm sure the controversial wins didn't help). That's not to say all the greats are nice and humble (obviously not), but you kind of have to a little swag to back up a larger than life persona, which is what made the Yags vs Plushy stuff so great and it's something Patrick clearly doesn't have.

It's NOT the Anne Hathaway thing. He's said some offensive things..

vCash
    Also, she skated a very long time ago and had like little competition.
    What exactly does this even mean?

vCash
    Yagudin for me is on that top 5 list. And unlike Chan, he really deserved what World titles he did win.

vCash
    What exactly does this even mean?
    I think it means during her era, she is pretty much the only skater who achieved that crazy level of fame while in the modern era, no one really dominates in that way anymore.

vCash
    I think it means during her era, she is pretty much the only skater who achieved that crazy level of fame while in the modern era, no one really dominates in that way anymore.
    Exactly. Does anyone even remember her rivals? Also, it's debatable whether her fame was really due to her wins or her hollywood career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    It's NOT the Anne Hathaway thing. He's said some offensive things..
    I don't recall anything truly offensive on his part, just mildly annoying and desperate.

Certainly nothing even close to the twitter fiascos of Evan Lysacek and Gracie Gold who truly were very offensive.

vCash
    Exactly. Does anyone even remember her rivals? Also, it's debatable whether her fame was really due to her wins or her hollywood career.
    Her wins are impressive but without the big Hollywood career, I think she'd be more like a Gills Grafstrom, a name figure skating buffs know but no one else really.

But I think legends are often defined by how bright they shine next to their contemporaries. With Chan, he has competed against skaters who simply either have more star power and charisma or a more impressive career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I think history will judge him much more fairly and in 30 years time he will be remembered as the phenomenal skater he is, despite the results.
    Agree.

And there is what people forget. Chan is maybe the most consistent 4T3T & 4T lander after Plushenko. (lol)
    To this, add the historical skating skills!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    And there is what people forget. Chan is maybe the most consistent 4T3T & 4T lander after Plushenko. (lol)
    I think that's Joubert easily.

Also Chan's godawful 3A kinda neutralizes things jump wise - similar to Lambiel's issues with that jump. I think even quad king Timothy Goebel had trouble with other jumps.

vCash
    I don't recall anything truly offensive on his part, just mildly annoying and desperate.

Certainly nothing even close to the twitter fiascos of Evan Lysacek and Gracie Gold who truly were very offensive.
    What did Evan say? I knew about Gracie, but I must've missed Evan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    What did Evan say? I knew about Gracie, but I must've missed Evan.
    Homophobic/misgendering tweet about Johnny. (this happened after the Olympics when Johnny already had to deal with a lot of homophobic remarks from commentators) Then he played the "I was hacked!!" card, and had a total meltdown and obviously no one believed him. lol. Honestly the whole saga was extremely entertaining on so many levels. No better use of the popcorn gif.

http://ontd-skating.livejournal.com/723769.html
    Last edited by moviechicko_o; 03-02-2014 at 03:45 AM.

vCash
    Seriously? Sonja Henie is the only lady with 3 Olympic gold medals, and yes, she is still regularly mentioned at skating events and her accomplishments are still a point of reference when discussing other skaters.

I don't think personal likeability really factors into how Chan will be remembered (or forgotten). If arrogance counted against you, Plushenko sure wouldn't be on anybody's list.

I think it is more these two factors

floskate: It seems that he could possibly be destined to be remembered as the Trixi Schuba of IJS.
    Amazingly awesome point. At the end of the day, it does not matter whether his wins can be dissected and rationalized as correct under the current scoring system. He will be remembered as the guy who kept winning Worlds in spite of falling or stumbling out of jumps in one or both programs and (in a lot of folks minds) being outskated by someone else.

Spun Silver: He is neither a great artist nor a monster technician who regularly delivers stupendous programs of either sort.
    In pondering the "5 Greatest" question, I realized that I cannot remember the details of any of Chan's programs. They all just blur into one fairly homogenous lump. On the other hand, I can sit here, close my eyes and visualize segments from Petrenko, Browning or Yagudin's programs from much longer ago. Great edges and basic skating skills are no substitute for real interpretive ability. Chan's gifts there are good but not exceptional, and that is the quality that usually makes skaters remembered in the long run.

vCash
    I was referencing her fame outside of skating circles. The fame that she and Witt later enjoyed were due to more than their skating accomplishments.

vCash
    I think of you underrate Chan. He lacks consistency and that is why he has many controversial wins. Other than his lack of consistency though he is a perfect skater with amazing artistry, the best ever skating skills, stunning spins and footwork and monstrous and incredible jumps.

vCash
    Well, if you don't land your jumps half the time, there's only so much to enjoy when splatting is going on.

vCash
    Chan has only had a few really poor performances in the quad. Skate Canada 2010, that grand prix event he lost to Verner that same season, 2013 Worlds LP and 2014 Olympics LP. That is it. Not bad at all. 2012 Worlds some disagreed with his win but he didnt skate bad at all whether he was the rightful winner or not.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast