Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Sounds like Pasha causes all kinds of problems for other skaters.
    She might be the one of the reasons for these problems but she's not necessarily the cause per se (if that makes any sense!). With the Usova/Zhulin marriage breaking apart, I personally thought he should've shouldered more of the blame but instead Grishuk got the majority of it. And no mention was made of Navka either (that I remember of either). And it's hardly Grishuk's fault that Krylova could never beat her.

vCash
    I agree that Zhulin didn't get nearly as much stick as Grishuk did over their affair. Usova directed all her wrath at Grishuk, whereas Zhulin was actually cheating on both with 18-year-old Navka. Quite the Romeo! I think it's the fact that Grishuk & Platov so unexpectedly won the Olympics in 1994 that made it so much worse. Usova had a complete meltdown.

As for Krylova & Ovsiannikov - I was very much against them at the time because I loved Grishuk & Platov, but they were a fantastic pair and I feel very sorry for them that they never got to become Olympic champions and then had to retire due to injury. Anjelika was beautiful. She's an amazing coach as well and I loved the routine of Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje at these Olympics.

I'm sure many people have already seen this, but it's funny how in this clip Krylova & Ovsiannikov are such great friends with Grishuk & Platov. It all turned sour very soon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrpC9QEXAZs By the way, I think this was Grishuk & Platov's weakest free dance.

vCash
    Most of the free dances in 1996 were very weak though.

vCash
    Speaking of Oksana here's a picture of her and her daughter.

http://style-on-ice.blogspot.com/201...ew-oksana.html

She looks different now. Much more mature, in a good way.

vCash
    "I never liked Usova & Zhulin. They were good skaters, but they didn't do anything other people hadn't done many times before. There was nothing memorable about them."

Huh? I can't remember who all else skated at the 1992 Albertville Olympics, but U&Z's Four Seasons was unforgettable. There had been nothing like that before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    She might be the one of the reasons for these problems but she's not necessarily the cause per se (if that makes any sense!). With the Usova/Zhulin marriage breaking apart, I personally thought he should've shouldered more of the blame but instead Grishuk got the majority of it. And no mention was made of Navka either (that I remember of either). And it's hardly Grishuk's fault that Krylova could never beat her.
    Zhulin is a huge horndog. A bigger one than Pasha. The Usova & Zhulin marrige and any marriage with him in it was never going to last, Pasha or no Pasha.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canbelto View Post
    Speaking of Oksana here's a picture of her and her daughter.

http://style-on-ice.blogspot.com/201...ew-oksana.html

She looks different now. Much more mature, in a good way.
    she looks just like mira sorvino, or mira sorvino looks like pasha
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    "I never liked Usova & Zhulin. They were good skaters, but they didn't do anything other people hadn't done many times before. There was nothing memorable about them."

Huh? I can't remember who all else skated at the 1992 Albertville Olympics, but U&Z's Four Seasons was unforgettable. There had been nothing like that before.
    Well, there were two skaters named Klimova & Ponomarenko, who didn't do too shabby
    But, U&Z's FD that year was gorgeous. My favorite FDs from U&Z are their 1991, 1992 and 1993 FD, the 1991(?) OD to Summertime was amazing as well.

As for G&P, I love their skating. They're my favorite ice dance team (followed by K&P) of all time, their Libertango OD is a masterpiece, and their 1995 Girls, Girls, Girls FD is stunning. I also enjoy their 1992 & 1993 FD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post

It was beautiful artistically but technically, it didn't have the level of content that either Klimova & Ponomarenko or Grishuk & Platov's free dances did at that competition. I personally thought G&P should've been second at the 92 Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    I know Usova must have been distraught by the whole situation at the time, but it is now over 20 years ago! She can't act the victim all her life.
    Well, there's a difference between "getting over something" and "playing the victim." Yes, it's not a good idea to keep playing the victim in public.

vCash
    I'm NOT defending Zhulin because that's just disrespectful to carry on with another woman openly. HOWEVER, I have heard that many, many Soviet pairs were a bit arranged in their marriages, meaning they would be given incentives such as an apartment and a car if they got married. A lot of them have talked openly about this (Bechke and Petrov, for example). And Elena Berezhnaya also said that she was under extreme pressure to be a "couple" with her old abusive partner. I don't know if Usova/Zhulin were that kind of arrangement. From the way Maya reacted I suspect not but I do know that it was encouraged for skaters who skated together to also live together, and many of these marriages did not last past their competitive career.

vCash
    I enjoyed Zhulin/Usova as much as Gritchuk/Platov, just in different ways. Yet, I wouldn't want to know most of these people personally. I often admire the achievement, but not in all cases the achievers.

vCash
    I preferred Grishuk/Platov when they were with Dubova. I wasn't a particular fan of their dances under Linichuck but I will say I loved their ODs under her though. Libertango is a masterpiece, but that's the only dance that I can say I loved under their time with Tarasova. "The Feeling Begins" and "Memorial" were respectable, but I didn't really think I felt the intended impact of those dances. Their Elvis Jive was bad though.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I preferred Grishuk/Platov when they were with Dubova. I wasn't a particular fan of their dances under Linichuck but I will say I loved their ODs under her though. Libertango is a masterpiece, but that's the only dance that I can say I loved under their time with Tarasova. "The Feeling Begins" and "Memorial" were respectable, but I didn't really think I felt the intended impact of those dances. Their Elvis Jive was bad though.
    I agree their 1998 OD was not their best, K&O should have placed 1st at the Olympics in that section.

vCash
    I'm in the minority here but I hated K&O's OD in 1998. Although they performed the hell out of it in Nagano (while Grishuk & Platov's performance felt very flat), choreographically it wasn't as challenging. And her expression just kills that performance for me. It's hard to make a jive tasteless but they do just that.
    Last edited by gk_891; 03-02-2014 at 11:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post
    Yet, I wouldn't want to know most of these people personally. I often admire the achievement, but not in all cases the achievers.
    That's an excellent point. And it shows how silly it is to try make heroes out of athletes in general. High achievement and real heroism are actually very different things. Real heroism is about altruism--and not seeking special recognition for it either. The vast majority of real heroes out there will never be shown on TV.

vCash
    ^
    So true.

vCash
    I one heard that Usova was having an affair with a big time
    Skating promoter who had a skating show & big tour in
    The U S.. Maybe that's why she never gave Platov the time. I think
    It lasted a very long time . He is much older then her

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancypancy View Post

Referring to Grishuk & Platov's partnership? I don't think Evgeny is that much older than Oksana, he was born in 1967 & she in 1971.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancypancy View Post
    I one heard that Usova was having an affair with a big time
    Skating promoter who had a skating show & big tour in
    The U S.. Maybe that's why she never gave Platov the time. I think
    Ahhh interesting! Usova got pregnant whilst skating with Platov, but had a miscarriage. I remember Platov saying in one of his interviews that he didn't know who the father was and never asked her. Maybe that's who it was!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123