Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

vCash
    So relieved my Newark show is the C/S and Jason rotation or I would be traveling to another city as they were my main two reasons for buying tickets. Polina was lovely in Boston but she's not a skater that's must see in shows for me just yet.

Was hoping Tanith and Ben might be guests for some dates but Kim and Brent will be good. I'm hoping the lack of Chock and Bates on the website is just because they're being slow at updating and finalizing dates. All the Olympians including Z/B should have at least been offered a few shows near their home or training bases. And I wish Cesario got the NY area shows because there's something so 90s show skating about her. Im thrilled Alissa is included.

Haven't seen any promotion of the tour here which is too bad. Hopefully DWTS will put it on people's radar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    What happened to Madi and Evan? They were in the original cast announcement.
    Chock/Bates were included in the SOI U.S. Tour promo that was uploaded to YT on March 17: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SERa_Bx5dKo

However, Tanith Belbin mentioned on Universal Sports' Worlds Short Dance broadcast today that Chock/Bates (paraphrasing here) are going to forgo show opportunities in order to keep training for the new season.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Can't one make a lotta $$$ doing SOI?

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Chock/Bates were included in the SOI U.S. Tour promo that was uploaded to YT on March 17: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SERa_Bx5dKo

However, Tanith Belbin mentioned on Universal Sports' Worlds Short Dance broadcast today that Chock/Bates (paraphrasing here) are going to forgo show opportunities in order to keep training for the new season.
    Wish they could've at least done the Midwest stops. Wouldn't have taken that much time away from their training.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    She might just have meant they were not doing as many shows as they had been offered, rather than none at all.

I would think the money from SOI would be too useful to them to forgo it altogether.

vCash
    I don't think SOI pays much any more. Skaters can get much more at 1 -3 performances in Japan or Korea than the entire SOI tour. It also chews up training time/prep for next year.

vCash
    Is Bates in class at Michigan this semester? It could be an issue of final exam schedule being an issue with SOI schedule. Just a thought...and, yup, the pay scale for SOI is NOT what used to be. Headliners (OLY/World medalists) are the only ones who make reasonable income/show. SOI struggles to fill even the smaller venues anymore.

vCash
    Evan Bates graduated from Univ. of Michigan this past December.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Sorry.. this might be a stupid question but since I'm from the Philippines and we hardly ever have ice shows here except for Disney on Ice. How many performances does a skater usually do per show? Like how many group numbers and solo numbers?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It depends on the show. Usually the core cast does more than the guests, because they don't have time to oractice them. There's usually a big group number at the beginning and end of the first part, and at least a big group number at the end. Then there are shorter vignettes with smaller group. The corps cast usually does two solos each, one in each half, but not always everyone. The guests in the hows I've seen have one and then eventually join the final group number. I don't remember if they're part of the intros in the opening number.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 03-31-2014 at 09:58 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    It depends on the show. Usually the core cast does more than the guests, because they don't have time to oractice them. There's usually a big group number at the beginning and end of the first part, and at least a big group number at the end. Then there are shorter vignettes with smaller group. The corps cast usually does two solos each, one in each half, but not always everyone. The guests in the hows I've seen have one and then eventually join the final group number. I don't remember if they're part of the intros in the opening number.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it to me. I really appreciate it. Yey! Looking forward to a lot of group numbers then. I do hope videos of the show end up on YouTube since I have no way of watching the shows other than on the internet.

vCash
    Ryan Bradley tweeted that SOI rehearsals started today (in Florida, I assume? First U.S. show is April 4 in Fort Myers, FL).

ETA an interview with Meryl Davis: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2014/Mar...ing-Transition
    The first Stars on Ice shows is Friday, April 4, in Fort Myers, Fla. When do you start rehearsals for the tour?

We are leaving April 1 for Orlando, where we’ll start doing rehearsals with the whole cast. It’s coming up really soon and we’re excited for it.

How many programs will you have in the show?

We’ll be doing two solos and five numbers total, so it’s going to be a pretty packed show for us, but it’s such an amazing experience being a part of the Stars on Ice tour so we’re really excited.

What will your two solo performances be?

We’re doing a little bit different version of our Scheherazade free dance in the show, and we’re also doing our new program to Rachmaninov that we did for the exhibition during the Olympics.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-31-2014 at 11:45 PM.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Ryan Bradley tweeted that SOI rehearsals started today (in Florida, I assume? First U.S. show is April 4 in Fort Myers, FL).

ETA an interview with Meryl Davis: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2014/Mar...ing-Transition
    The first Stars on Ice shows is Friday, April 4, in Fort Myers, Fla. When do you start rehearsals for the tour?

We are leaving April 1 for Orlando, where we’ll start doing rehearsals with the whole cast. It’s coming up really soon and we’re excited for it.

How many programs will you have in the show?

We’ll be doing two solos and five numbers total, so it’s going to be a pretty packed show for us, but it’s such an amazing experience being a part of the Stars on Ice tour so we’re really excited.

What will your two solo performances be?

We’re doing a little bit different version of our Scheherazade free dance in the show, and we’re also doing our new program to Rachmaninov that we did for the exhibition during the Olympics.
    YESSSS that they'll be doing the Rachmaninov program!!!!! I guess the five total numbers include the intro and finale, so maybe one group number?
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    YESSSS that they'll be doing the Rachmaninov program!!!!! I guess the five total numbers include the intro and finale, so maybe one group number?
    I guess it would be asking too much to hope that they could somehow incorporate Meryl/Max and Charlie/Sharna in the show???? Please???

vCash
    I wonder what their group opening number will be this year? I saw on YouTube that they skated to Gotye right?

vCash
    It seems the full-time SOI cast members and 2014 Olympians (Abbott, Gold, Wagner, Davis/White) will be committed to rehearsals in Florida this week for the April 4th opening and will not be making the trip to the White House on April 3rd. I've heard that part-time SOI cast members Brown, Edmunds and Castelli/Shnapir, plus Zhang/Bartholomay, currently are scheduled to visit the White House.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by redfiretrees View Post
    I wonder what their group opening number will be this year? I saw on YouTube that they skated to Gotye right?
    Last year the opening number was set to Gotye and Kimbra's "Somebody That I Used To Know." A complete list of the tour's music will be listed on the SOI site at some point.

The Shibutanis are in Japan for shows - refer to the 2nd photo link posted by seabm7 below.

We can start a new GSD thread for U.S. SOI tour reviews, photos, etc., if people are interested?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-01-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: To add note about Shibutanis being in Japan

vCash
    A couple of rehearsal photos are posted by the SOI facebook and Maia Shibutani.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...97225612_n.jpg
    https://twitter.com/ShibSibs/status/.../photo/1/large

It seem to me Renee Roca and John Kerr are taking care of the US tour rehearsal in Florida, while Jeff Buttle and Sinead Kerr are with the Japan cast in Osaka! Speaking of two sets going on at the same time.

vCash
    We can start a new GSD thread for U.S. SOI tour reviews, photos, etc., if people are interested?
    Thanks! Yes, a separate thread would be great so that people can post everything about the SOI there.

vCash
    Um, isn't that what this thread is?
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I am bummed that I will miss the show this year but I am going away that weekend. I really hope that Virtue & Moir are in the tour next year and same with Weaver & Poje. I missed seeing them last year at National's in Mississauga and I am so stoked for their World silver medal.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast