Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Just ordered tickets for Detroit. Amazing, on what I guess is the first day, so many seats are not available already. I am in the fourth row. I know the big tour groups get blocks of reserved seats for Nationals, didn't know they did it for SOI.
    Tickets went on sale on January 7. They just announced the cast yesterday.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Happy to see Mirai on the list. It will really help her develop her artistry and the ability to relate to the audience.
    Mirai skated the full SOI tour after the 2010 Olympics. She finished the long Olympic season with a stress fracture in her foot.

In case you haven't noticed audiences typically like Mirai. It is mostly US Skating that she needs better relations with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Tickets went on sale on January 7. They just announced the cast yesterday.
    Thanks, that explains it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    Mirai skated the full SOI tour after the 2010 Olympics. She finished the long Olympic season with a stress fracture in her foot.

In case you haven't noticed audiences typically like Mirai. It is mostly US Skating that she needs better relations with.
    Mirai did part of the tour in 2010, not the whole tour. SOI came to my city in 2010 without Mirai, I had to go a couple hundred miles to see an SOI show with her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren329 View Post
    Can someone explain the Ryan Bradley inclusion? I enjoyed him as a skater but he's not a huge name and since the cast is skewing current (specifically this Olympic cycle), why him over say Max (especially with Mirai included as sort of the just missed the team choice) or Adam who is an IMG client?
    Fans love Ryan Bradley and his backflips. He is a really good show skater. He is also a former US Champion, so not such a small name.

vCash
    I understand the appeal. But its just he's kind of an oddity on the list. You have the Olympic bronze medal team, Olympians Chock & Bates, Mirai (who just missed the team and who USFS kind of owed one), and then Ryan Bradley who was not at all in the Olympic mix. If you had Tanith & Ben, Czisny etc., I would get it more but he's just kind of the one lone random noncompetitor inclusion.
    The show is about making money, so if Ryan can draw fans, why not? Stars on Ice isn't an Olympic tour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Just ordered tickets for Detroit. Amazing, on what I guess is the first day, so many seats are not available already. I am in the fourth row. I know the big tour groups get blocks of reserved seats for Nationals, didn't know they did it for SOI.
    When I attended Skate America, they announced that they were selling tickets for SOI in Detroit at the box office. At that time, it was the only SOI tour date announced.

vCash
    Yes, I was at SA also, I guess 4 months ago I wasn't even thinking about SOI. I don't like buying tickets with no idea who will be performing.

having a nice day
    vCash
    How sad that the only figure skating tour in America skips most of it. That's a sure fire way to not draw in new fans. Was that the plan? It's working....
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    I remember hearing that Plushy's original plans for his post-retirement KOI tour included America.

I wonder how that would have gone?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    How sad that the only figure skating tour in America skips most of it. That's a sure fire way to not draw in new fans. Was that the plan? It's working....
    Considering that last year, SOI only had shows in 5 U.S. cities, I think that 20 is an improvement. SOI isn't a charitable, non-for-profit run only to "draw in new fans" -- it has to be able to at least support itself, if not make some sort of profit. They are probably offering as many performances as they can afford.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    I saw Macy's listed next to IMG on the website, are they sponsoring the tour this year?

vCash
    My godchildren are up near Hershey. I'd love to go up and take them, but that would be pretty pricey. Maybe I'll start saving now so we can all go next year.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    In 2011 Kozuka and Ando joined CSOI at least in Vancouver and maybe in Victoria.

I'm very disappointed that M-T/M won't be on CSOI. I may skip it this year.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Maybe they still will be - or at least in selected cities - CSOI often announces additional appearances, don't they?

vCash
    I stopped going to CSOI once the international stars became less prominent. I liked seeing the best, not just Canada's best.... and yes, we often have excellent skaters, but I like a good mix.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    Maybe they still will be - or at least in selected cities - CSOI often announces additional appearances, don't they?
    Usually when the skaters are locals, and M-T/M are local to Ontario. I remember seeing Sandhu in Vancouver after his eligible career. If they add in Firus for Vancouver, I'll reconsider.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

having a nice day
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Considering that last year, SOI only had shows in 5 U.S. cities, I think that 20 is an improvement. SOI isn't a charitable, non-for-profit run only to "draw in new fans" -- it has to be able to at least support itself, if not make some sort of profit. They are probably offering as many performances as they can afford.
    If that's all they can afford that's even sadder.
    I'm tired of watching skating on the internet. But its hella cheaper than what it costs to get to the real thang.
    I think the last time I saw live skating was....so long ago I can't remember :-P
    SOI is not the only one who can't afford it....
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    The Canadian cast looks great! I'd love to see the Kerrs or Javier Fernandez added in though

vCash
    Not surprised Polina isn't on the list as the tour is in April and she'll have missed a lot of school with Worlds & Olympics. If there is a stop local to her, I'm sure she might perform as a guest.

I was sad but not entirely surprised to see that Z/B were not on the list but very surprised to see the Shibs with their Internet following and their MJ program that seems made for SOI not in the cast. The team event was great for those who got medals but its almost like we had 2 teams- the Olympic team and the more exclusive team event medal team. But Chock & Bates at least got the tour. I guess they are IMG clients? Good for them.

I was initially surprised to see Mirai on the list but this was probably the carrot USFS offered her in exchange for her PC statement the night of the team announcement.
    Perhaps she will in San Jose since she trains and lives in San Jose.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast