Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Boooo, no Edmunds but Nagasu instead. Boo.

They say that some skaters will make special appearances, maybe Polina will do a few shows.

Several special guests will also make appearances throughout the tour.

Drinking mojitos @ Toller's Mexican villa
    vCash
    Remember when Champions on Ice had ALL the medalists, regardless of what country they were from? Russian, Canadian, etc etc?!? How cool would it be to see everyone from Sochi? Those days are sadly gone..

I'll take Mirai over Gracie and Ashley. I'd like to see Jeremy and Jason..too bad Z&B werent invited, they are terrific. Probably wont spend $$ on this though.

ETA- I just visited the website, and the cast pictured from previous years looks a lot better than this one. (S&P, the Kerrs, Tanith and Ben, even good ol' Mikey Weiss) I have to say Wagner is probably the most overwhelmingly mediocre US lady ever made out to be a "star"..and Gracie is pretty unlikable. And they both paled to the big guns in Sochi. Meh...
    Last edited by PishPosh9; 02-28-2014 at 07:11 PM.

vCash
    Where are the non-American skaters? Boo! I remember when the post-Olympic or post-Worlds Collins tours used to always include the international eligible stars from all four disciplines. Where are the gold medalists of the other 3 divisions (other than Dance): Adelina, Volo/Trankov & Hanyu?

I remember the 2010 SOI tour in DC (Verizon Center) when Mirai -- then in her absolute prime -- fell twice while performing her 'Pirates' SP and did not smile a single moment. That's the last time that I bothered going to SOI, not that there's been much opportunity to attend subsequent editions in my area.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-28-2014 at 08:54 PM.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I don't think SOI can even afford the Russian and Japanese skaters these days cause they have much more lucrative opportunities in their own countries where skating is very popular. They definitely cannot afford Yuna or Mao.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PishPosh9 View Post
    I'll take Mirai over Gracie and Ashley.

[snip]

ETA- I just visited the website, and the cast pictured from previous years looks a lot better than this one. (S&P, the Kerrs, Tanith and Ben, even good ol' Mikey Weiss) I have to say Wagner is probably the most overwhelmingly mediocre US lady ever made out to be a "star"..and Gracie is pretty unlikable. And they both paled to the big guns in Sochi. Meh...
    "Mediocre" is probably a bit harsh but I agree that there's no one here with true "star power". Gold MAY get there one day but that is years off. I don't find her particularly appealing or likeable either, but we are in the vast minority. Most of the public seems to love her judging from comments and tweets.

I still root for her though as she is American, probably our best shot at getting back onto the world podium. It's been a ridiculously long time now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    I don't think SOI can even afford the Russian and Japanese skaters these days cause they have much more lucrative opportunities in their own countries where skating is very popular. They definitely cannot afford Yuna or Mao.
    That's a really good point. Even minor European skaters can get better money doing Asian tours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    "Mediocre" is probably a bit harsh but I agree that there's no one here with true "star power". Gold MAY get there one day but that is years off. I don't find her particularly appealing or likeable either, but we are in the vast minority. Most of the public seems to love her judging from comments and tweets.

I still root for her though as she is American, probably our best shot at getting back onto the world podium. It's been a ridiculously long time now.
    Maybe mediocre is harsh just as redemption (heard every 30 seconds on NBC during Wagner's performances in Sochi)) was overly generous.

I am trying hard to like Gracie but at this point I like Polina better.

vCash
    The last internationally represented tour was like the post-SLC era I think when you had Yagudin and B/S along with the NA Olympic champs. By the time Torino came around, things had clearly shifted and most of the Russians were moving back to capitalize on the huge popularity there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    because you would have gone to see it if Polina were in it?
    Yes. Polina Edwards is a much bigger name now that she has competed in the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Usually when the skaters are locals, and M-T/M are local to Ontario. I remember seeing Sandhu in Vancouver after his eligible career. If they add in Firus for Vancouver, I'll reconsider.
    Firus now lives and trains full time in Colorado. Not to say he wouldn't come up if asked, but it would not be as easy as when he was living and training in Vancouver.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    By the time Torino came around, things had clearly shifted and most of the Russians were moving back to capitalize on the huge popularity there.
    The return to Russia happened a bit later. At least for 2006, Totmianina & Marinin and Plushenko - newly crowned Olympic champions - were part of the COI cast. I think Slutskaya was as well.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    The return to Russia happened a bit later. At least for 2006, Totmianina & Marinin and Plushenko - newly crowned Olympic champions - were part of the COI cast. I think Slutskaya was as well.
    Yes, Irina was on the 06 tour.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Wonder why Evan is not on the list? Johnny weir too is a great show skater and was widely popular with his commentary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    Wonder why Evan is not on the list? Johnny weir too is a great show skater and was widely popular with his commentary.
    Evan left IMG after his last SOI tour. He wanted to go back to competitions and was not interested in ice shows. I wonder what he will do now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    Evan left IMG after his last SOI tour. He wanted to go back to competitions and was not interested in ice shows. I wonder what he will do now.
    Whatever it is, I imagine it involves tanning.

vCash
    I'm hoping that next season (as long as SOI continues) that the US & Canadian tours won't overlap, and that SOI will go back to having an international cast. It may be that this season they are focusing mostly on the skaters who competed at the Olympics/will compete @ Worlds. While we always look forward to attending SOI, we do like to see the Canadian and other international skaters in the cast as well as our American ones.

vCash
    Lately, the Canadian cast has been better than the US one.

Evan's a name skater, and could really have helped US SOI stay viable. Instead, he nailed the lid on that coffin.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Woohoo Mirai... and they are coming to San Diego, double woohoo!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    There are no non-US or professional skaters because this tour is in partnership with USFS to promote their current skaters - it was announced a year ago - IMG, US Figure Skating partnering on tour for the first time

Not sure if there's a similar deal with Skate Canada, but might be since CSOI is all Canadian skaters. Not all current, but there might have been a leftover deal with Kurt, Joannie and Shaun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Not sure if there's a similar deal with Skate Canada, but might be since CSOI is all Canadian skaters. Not all current, but there might have been a leftover deal with Kurt, Joannie and Shaun.
    They have sponsors (Investors Group, Lindt) for CSOI, so a deal with Skate Canada may not be necessary. My guess is IMG had to go to USFS since they could not find a sponsor for the US part of the tour.
    Last edited by seabm7; 03-02-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast