Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    First of all, I'd like to clarify that I only read the article after I wrote the sentence you quoted: I was commenting another post, not passing judgment on Gao's writing skills. Which I wouldn't have done anyway, because I'm in no position to.
    I completely misinterpreted your post then I apologize

I agree with the rest of your post too, and I didn't mean to downplay the importance of language skills at all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    Good articles which I had already read. But ISU and IOC say the results were fair.
    There are posters here, some that are former judges who will tell you the IJS is infallible.

Adelina really skated great as did Yuna and Carolina.
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/wei...ng-controversy

vCash
    After reading through the thread, I was expecting much worse. In terms of mechanics, she writes better than a lot of educated people I know. She can form a declarative sentence, her word choice is decent, and she has a pretty good grasp of grammar. As for the content, I give her a D for research. If she'd checked her facts, youtubed more performances, and looked at some protocols, it might have been a better article. It might also have changed her point of view.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Sorry to ask again, does anyone know what Gao is majoring in?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    Sorry to ask again, does anyone know what Gao is majoring in?
    Like many other students she might not have declared a major yet and she took time off this year to focus on skating.

From an interview with Brennan last year:

"Her fall semester consisted of classes in economics, calculus, Chinese for Heritage Students (her parents are Chinese immigrants) and the biology seminar "What Is Life?"
    How did she do? "My parents were happy," she says. "Almost all A's."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...udent/1853117/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    "Almost all A's."
    Isn't that pretty much true for all Harvard students?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/op...ric.html?_r=3&
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Some of the comments on this thread are disappointing. Certain people seem to imply that Christina can't write well and/or maybe isn't that smart, despite being admitted to Harvard?? Not nice.

I personally enjoyed the article. It's listed as an opinion piece/editorial, not a research paper on figure skating scoring. On those terms, it's just as well written as many of the mainstream press articles I've read the last couple of weeks. If you disagree with Christina's viewpoint, that's okay, but why attack her writing style (which is perfectly fine)?

I give Christina credit for actually voicing an opinion about the state of the sport. How many other current skaters, except Ashley Wagner, have been brave enough to speak up about this? I'm glad Christina has the courage to put her views out there.

vCash
    I'm not disputing her intelligence or writing ability per se, but I do think if you're going to publish something, you should check your facts first and avoid misstatements like: "... But she [Kim] took time off after winning the 2010 Olympics, and only returned to competition in 2013."
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12