Thread: Rink Change

vCash

Rink Change

Hello,

Recently my daughter had to change rinks because her home rink closed. Mostly its been smooth and she got to keep her coach, but I notice she is not progressing like she had before and in some ways she is going backward. She is definitely intimidated by the more elite skaters that are present and she is not with the friends that she had at her previous rink. Does anyone have experience with this and does it just take time to transition? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

vCash
    Give it time. It is like changing schools. I am sure after a while she will be fine.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Is the coach coaching the more elite skaters as well? Is the coach still behaving the same towards your daughter? I remember whenever I got to take ballet class with more advanced kids, I was trying my absolute best because I wanted to catch the teacher's attention and get her approval. If that didn't happen, I was disappointed especially if someone else was (yet again) pointed out. I knew I wasn't as good and there were others who were better but I felt my efforts weren't as appreciated. I don't remember how I reacted but it could certainly make someone withdraw.

Or maybe she's just awe-struck and spends more time watching the more elite skaters than concentrating on her own training? Have you talked to her about it? How she feels about the new environment, her skating etc? Is she still as enthusiastic about it all?

vCash
    It's a good lesson about things don't always work out as planned and learn to roll with the punches..Was this Culver?

vCash
    Rinks are snake pits. The more advanced girls will try to intimidate her, because they can. Your daughter's coach needs to reinforce to her that she has as much right-of-way as the other girls.

vCash
    It can be intimidating, if she's skating on the ice with more elite skaters. She can get used to it, but it may be that her coach needs to support her a bit more right now, when she's out on the ice. Perhaps have a talk with the coach and find out how she's seeing the situation.

Where are her friends skating? Is it possible for her to do her lesson at the new rink with her coach, but do a practice or two with her friends at their new rink?

Does her current rink offer high level group classes, where she could meet other skaters? Or do they offer a lower level freestyle session, where she could feel more comfortable for her practices?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    If she gets used to the environment, it could be the best thing for her. Being on the same session with good skaters can be very motivating. If you're the best skater at a particular rink, you tend to get complacent.

vCash
    She says she likes it there, but still misses "home." Yes it was Culver. The new rink has been very accommodating to the influx of skaters and have opened up more "low" freestyle sessions. My daughter is shy by nature, so it will take her a while to feel comfortable. I just hate to see her progress go backward. Skating has done so much for her and she loves it so. Her coach doesn't coach the elite ones and she is guest coaching at this rink. Unfortunately they won't allow her to guest coach at another rink as well so we can't got to the other rink where her friends are for private lessons. We are trying to work out a day to go there for a freestyle though. I agree it will take time. She did well at a recent competition so that helped up her confidence a little. Also she was just approved for PE exemption so she will get to skate for a few hours every week instead of PE and its during the empty, low-key public sessions so I think that will help tremendously. Its just been tough for everyone including her coach who is feeling in Limbo.

vCash
    My experience may be a little different as an adult skater, but I agree that sometimes elite skaters are deliberately aggressive toward younger skaters, newer skaters, or skaters they don't know. I'm sure you have probably done this already, but it will really help if your daughter and her coach are aware of the rules at the rink, e.g. do programs or lessons have priority in terms of who has to move out of whose way, what are the rules for playing program music, how are disputes between skaters supposed to be addressed.

And please encourage your daughter not to be intimidated. If she has paid to be on the session, she has as much right to be there and to use the ice as anyone else does.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    It is great that the other rink were so welcoming and are accommodating the influx.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    ah i see..i used to skate culver, but now go to valley ice. have been going the past few years. overall, the people there are much friendlier than at culver.

good luck to her! hope she thrives in the new environment. sometimes change can be a good thing.

vCash
    It can take over year to feel comfortable. I would suggest a group class and power skate. The more girls see she is going to be a regular, the easier the transition. Look for something fun - synchro, ice theater, a rink show - it will help her be part of the group.