Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Music you wish people would skate to.

All these threads about music we never want to hear again but what do you actually want people to skate to then???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater91 View Post
    All these threads about music we never want to hear again but what do you actually want people to skate to then???
    For competitive programs or exhibition?

Either way, I like to see music that hasn't been overused and that has some oomph. I tend to prefer something avant-garde as well. In general, I like stuff with an edge, and I just don't like "safe and boring."

Of course, if I think I'll ever see much of that in figure skating, I'm probably dreaming.

vCash
    More interesting film scores than the standard popular ones we always get. Marianelli, Desplat or Mansell. Movies like The Fountain and Stoker have great scores.

vCash
    Ya mean, aside from the Rap version of "Thank God I'm A Country Boy"? For a good waltz, I'd suggest from the Beatle's Yellow Submarine, Pepperland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFMxX51uKEE , for others, Superconductor by Rush http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RJwqkWawcU and the second part of I've Seen All Good People by Yes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhBwJyr1-x8

vCash
    duplicate post

vCash
    I've pretty much got a list of songs I would love to see used as exhibitions "Wash" by Bon Iver is probably the one I want to see used the most. WeaPo could pull it off!

http://youtu.be/lIZdKQZV_iU

vCash
    Floyd, Zeppelin, anything voidy.
    Last edited by Johnny_Fever; 02-24-2014 at 12:28 PM.

vCash
    Still rooting for Top Gun.

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    I second this! It's daunting music but it would be great if someone could pull that of!

vCash
    Wet by Snoop Dogg

vCash
    Waltz from Eugene Onegin. I always wanted Sasha to skate to it and she never did. Now I want Julia to. Darn it, one of my ubers has to listen to me one of these days, right?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Several of the tracks from the Battlestar Galactica soundtracks composed by Bear McCreary -- his music is an untapped Gold Mine of skating music .

vCash
    Movie soundtracks seemed to be used a little more in the past but skaters now don’t seem to use them as much. Maybe with the fan success of Hertado & Diaz FP, they will make more of a resurgence.

Two pieces that were in my head to use for years were The Piano – ultimately used by Del/Shoe, and November Rain. Which got used this year. Who would have ever thunk it? I was flabbergasted someone picked November Rain even if the version was meh. My November Rain was a dance FP.

Others that pop up my list - Aaron Copeland’s Appalachian Spring; Gershwin’s I’ve Got Rhythm; more Flamenco! less Tango; Beethoven’s Ode to Joy; Yanni’s Tribute and Nightingale; Prince’s Get Off (another FD)
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Lyrics being allowed next season in all four disciplines, not just ice dance, will definitely make the music choices more interesting (ie. worse)

vCash
    Lots of music.

Rite of Spring is a good one
    Sorcerer's apprentice
    Dance of the Hours

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Soundtrack to Golden Door http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k3l_kVp4Lo
    Ritual Fire Dance by Manuel de Falla http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFSugEcAh0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    I would love to see a good skater make this work. I think there is no brave choreographer & skater combination for this piece.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Now that lyrics are going to be allowed, if any skater/team decides to use Metallica, please, for the love of god, use their actual music rather than any of the dreadful Muzak versions.

I know that a lot of their music would be too heavy/harsh for skating programs, but several of the tracks on their Metallica: S&M (Symphony and Metallica) double CD would work quite well. Michael Kamen did the composing for the symphonic aspects for it, and many of them are quite beautiful.

From Metallica: S&M. To hear and get the full effect of Kamen's contributions to this, please listen to the entire songs - most are far too long for any skating program, so editing down would be mandatory, and some of the best symphonic portions are further into the songs than the first minute or two:

Nothing Else Matters

The Ecstasy of Gold segueing into The Call of Ktulu (Part One) (used by Metallica as the Intro/Opening of their concerts, this was actually composed by Enrico Morricone from the movie "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly), but Michael Kamen's version is ). The Call of Ktulu gets quite heavy as it progresses, but the beginning minutes of it are beautiful).

Wherever I May Roam

No Leaf Clover

Battery (Once the song kicks in (at around 1:10), it's definitely way too hard for a skating program, but the intro to it is amazing, and with the right editing/mixing, it could be epic)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Lots of music.

Rite of Spring is a good one
    Sorcerer's apprentice
    Dance of the Hours
    Sorcerer's apprentice was used by Stiegler & Zimmerman and it worked very well. I have not seen anyone else use it though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast