Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Candice Cameron Bure, Charlie white

vCash
    Meryl Davis!

vCash
    We want to know WHO they are dancing with now. Maks Maks Maks !
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Meryl with Maks and Charlie with Sharna! But was Derek serious when he said they're switching partners at some point? I hope not.

vCash
    Per a Facebook buddy, everyone will switch partners during the season based on an audience vote.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Nononononono.
    I want Meryl with Maks. And she can also at one point be with Val. But that's it. No Mark or Derek PLEASE.

vCash
    I don't think it's right for Meryl and Charlie to be on the show. Ice dancing is based in ballroom. This is not a case of a hip hop dancer doing the show. Meryl and Charlie have an extraordinary advantage, they understand the rhythms, the upper body movement, holds, and lifts. Plus, they worked with Derek. Ice dancers train ballroom on the floor, beyond ringers!
    Last edited by cruisin; 03-04-2014 at 02:04 PM.

vCash
    Full House actress Candace Cameron Bure & Mark Ballas

Wonder Years actress Danica McKellar & Valentin Chmerkovskiy

Swimmer Diana Nyad & Henry Byalikov

Real Housewives of Atlanta star NeNe Leakes & Tony Dovolani

Pop star Cody Simpson & Witney Carson

The Price is Right host Drew Carey & Cheryl Burke

Olympic ice dancing gold medalist Meryl Davis & Maksim Chmerkovskiy

Olympic ice dancing gold medalist Charlie White & Sharna Burgess

Para-snowboarder Amy Purdy (who lost both her legs after contracting menigitis) & Derek Hough

Former NHL player Sean Avery & Karina Smirnoff

Singer Billy Dee Williams & Emma Slater

Big Time Rush bandmember/actor James Maslow & Peta Murgatroyd

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I don't think it's right for Meryl and Charlie to be on the show. Ice dancing is based in ballroom. This is not a case of a hip hop dancer doing the show. Meryl and Charlie have an extraordinary advantage, they understand the rhythms, the upper body movement, holds, and lifts. Plus, they worked with Derek.
    Yeah and ? Dancing on the ice gives them a false advantage. Because they are used to create illusion with blades, not on their feet. And I doubt figure skater have that much an advantage when it comes to really dance.
    What they have more than any other figure skater IMO is that Meryl can interpret anything, and Charlie is so sweet you could vote just to see his looks

vCash
    Charlie's hair for the win!

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mackiecat View Post
    Ful

Singer Billy Dee Williams & Emma Slater
    "Singer"?

He will always be Lando Calrissian!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Yeah and ? Dancing on the ice gives them a false advantage. Because they are used to create illusion with blades, not on their feet. And I doubt figure skater have that much an advantage when it comes to really dance.
    What they have more than any other figure skater IMO is that Meryl can interpret anything, and Charlie is so sweet you could vote just to see his looks
    I agree with Cruisin. In the 17 yrs they've been together, I would argue that they have had EXTENSIVE ballroom training (not just lessons, but training) already.

vCash
    If they were freestyle skaters, I would say they don't have an advantage (though Kristi and Evan were called ringers too)- but they aren't freestyle skaters, they are ice dancers. The advantage isn't in their blade work, it is in the hours and hours they do of off-ice ballroom dance. When Drew Carey pulls the Quickstep, he's going to have to learn how to hold his arms, how to hold his upper body still while working the feet like mad. Think Meryl and Charlie will need to learn any of that? Nope- they did a quick step all year long! Need to interpret the different feeling of a cha-cha and a waltz? They've got that down too.

I really don't care they are ringers though because this show is so uneven anyway.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 03-04-2014 at 02:32 PM.

vCash
    I don't care. I want Meryl to win. All other winners are unacceptable.

vCash
    See below. Ice dancers absolutely have extensive - off ice - ballroom training.

Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    I agree with Cruisin. In the 17 yrs they've been together, I would argue that they have had EXTENSIVE ballroom training (not just lessons, but training) already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    If they were freestyle skaters, I would say they don't have an advantage (though Kristi and Evan were called ringers too)- but they are freestyle skaters, they are ice dancers. The advantage isn't in their blade work, it is in the hours and hours they do of off-ice ballroom dance. When Drew Carey pulls the Quickstep, he's going to have to learn how to hold his arms, how to hold his upper body still while working the feet like mad. Think Meryl and Charlie will need to learn any of that? Nope- they did a quick step all year long! Need to interpret the different feeling of a cha-cha and a waltz? They've got that down too.

I really don't care they are ringers though because this show is so uneven anyway.

vCash
    But they don't dance LIKE ballroom dancers. They know their stuff, but they do not move like ballroom dancers. Skating gives them bad habits in terms of using their feet. You'll see

vCash
    No football or basketball player? I'm SO disappointed! (Not!) Have they ever had a baseball player?

vCash
    emmm... I thought that competitors who had professional dancing lessons cannot participate...

If ice dancers dont take dancing lessons than what do they do to prepare for Original dance/short dance??? Those dances are based on the original ballroom dancing intervened with the complexity of making it happen on the ice.
    Last edited by kosjenka; 03-04-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot ...
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Copying my comment from the closed thread in The Trash Can:

It seemed like Meryl and Charlie got the loudest applause and cheers out of all the contestants .

...It's enough of an UGH that I'm going to have to watch this thing in order to see Meryl and Charlie, but it's a double UGH that I'm going to have to put up with NeNe Leakes, the Queen of the Famewhores from Atlanta. I swear to god, if that cow starts in with her stupid "BAM!" bullshit, I will likely put a brick through my TV.

My sister took acting classes and was friends with Danica McKellar back in the late 80s -- Danica left the class they had together when she was cast as Winnie Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    "Singer"?

He will always beLando Calrissian!
    Only now he looks more like Jabba the Hut

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    emmm... I thought that competitors who had professional dancing lessons cannot participate...
    I think the rules are whatever the producers want them to be. Without a doubt some of the Disney stars have had lessons before- they may not specialize in partner dancing, but I'm sure as well trained dancers, they'd dabbled. Not to the extent of D/W, I doubt though.

But they don't dance LIKE ballroom dancers. They know their stuff, but they do not move like ballroom dancers. Skating gives them bad habits in terms of using their feet. You'll see
    I have no doubt they have bad habits. And they are surely a million times better on ice than they are on land. But they still have probably done ballroom lessons on land for at least 10 years.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast