Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    The title 'Skate Whisperer' cracks me up. Of course, Frank is not alone in meriting that title. The most famour whisperer-magician comes to mind: Tamara Moskvina.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Also, while Carroll success stories are remarkable for their consistency, I also think that the relentless emphasis on consistency, and complete run-throughs of programs, comes a little at the expense of performing excitement and spontaneity.
    I don't think this is the case. Carroll has said that he won't put elements into a program unless the skater can complete them successfully 70% of the times they try them. With that sort of confidence a skater has more of a comfort zone, for lack of a better word, to be an exciting performer. While Bowman was at times a little too spontaneous for Carroll's liking, he was one of the more exciting skaters to watch because of his energy and enthusiasm. Carroll's more cautious skaters, like Goebel, were like that with every coach they worked with.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    bronze and gracie's 4th place is not a gold medal- never will be

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marialynn View Post
    never will be
    If we work really hard to get all the results above them nullified, it could be! Don't lose hope!!

vCash
    Jammers (sorry still unable to use the quote function after 3 mos.), there's nothing wrong with "trying", after all that's how something eventually becomes a reality. Without risk takers the world would be a sorry place indeed. Risk takers such as Sarah Hughes would have never realized her dream of becoming Olympic Champion if she had not put in the second 3/3 combo. she had only landed once in competition previously. And there are plenty of other examples in figure skating. Midor Ito even broke her leg practicing the 3axel, but thank goodness she didn't let that prevent her from eventually putting it into competition and mastering it. That's my point when it comes to not only GG, but others as well. Oops, not to forget Mao Asada. I beg to differ when it comes to your analysis of her, Jammers. No, she is able to do all the triples, all 6 of them in fact (i.e. 3T, 3S, 3R, 3F, 3Z, 3A), as well as 3/3 combos.

Risk takers are to be applauded, not derided, because without them dreams would never become reality. jmho.

*note: even Michelle Kwan was a risk taker at heart. I recall her taking her sr. figure skating tests against the advice of her coach Frank Carroll. And guess what she passed with flying colors and she came second to Tonya Harding the next year at Nationals. :cool*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    If we work really hard to get all the results above them nullified, it could be! Don't lose hope!!
    who's losing hope? i don't expect anything more from the u.s then what they usually do- bronze and silver are nice but still not gold-progressive is just not a word the u.s fed understands imo

vCash
    who's losing hope?
    I was being facetious. I didn't think anyone was actually hoping the results would be nullified resulting in those positions equaling 1st place.

vCash
    who's losing hope? i don't expect anything more from the u.s then what they usually do- bronze and silver are nice but still not gold-progressive is just not a word the u.s fed understands imo
    The US dominated Ladies for over 50 years from the early 50's to about 2006. It couldn't last forever. Japan without Mao,Ando,Suzuki is going to be hurting for the next few years and it was a powerhouse for only about a decade.

vCash
    Well, duh.

So a gold medal is the only reason for a skater to enter a competition, and if they don't get one, then clearly they are horrible skaters who never should have participated at all
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The US dominated Ladies for over 50 years from the early 50's to about 2006. It couldn't last forever. Japan without Mao,Ando,Suzuki is going to be hurting for the next few years and it was a powerhouse for only about a decade.
    I think we have only seen the beginning of the Russian wonder babies. After Adelina's win, the Team win, the Pairs win, the rise of I/K, Russian skating will probably boom for the next decade.

Besides Lip and Rad they have more young girls getting ready to enter the senior ranks. They are already dominating juniors and could get even stronger in the coming years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Although he took great pains to say complimentary things about the whole Kwan family, he did lay out a lengthy timeline where pretty much everything that went wrong in her career was Danny's fault. There was nothing we hadn't heard before thru gossip, but it was a bit shocking to hear an insider pretty much blame him for everything, while smoothly sounding understanding or impartial. He's slick.
    Slick? He tries to come off as so classy, fair, impartial, and so above it all, but that is just plain rude/bitchy blaming Danny all these years later...........
    Last edited by demetriosj; 02-25-2014 at 11:40 PM.

vCash
    My final post on this topic:

The ultimate risk taker, Yelena Produnova: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yelena_Produnova

She never won an Olympic Gold Medal, but that's not why she's my favorite gymnast of all-time, this is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em8UZxWjc_4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    I think we have only seen the beginning of the Russian wonder babies. After Adelina's win, the Team win, the Pairs win, the rise of I/K, Russian skating will probably boom for the next decade.

Besides Lip and Rad they have more young girls getting ready to enter the senior ranks. They are already dominating juniors and could get even stronger in the coming years.
    Most of those girls will there jumps.

vCash
    You are so encouraging. (not!)
    Her time at the top level of competition has only begun.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Frank sounds like a coach that encourages sturdy character, which is admirable in any sports coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Most of those girls will there jumps.
    I assume you mean they will lose their jumps. You hope.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Well, duh.

So a gold medal is the only reason for a skater to enter a competition, and if they don't get one, then clearly they are horrible skaters who never should have participated at all
    Don't sweat it, overedge. With her posts, marialynn is only looking for a tiny bit of the huge amount of attention GG is getting with her 4th place finish ... I see marialynn joined FSU just in time for the Games! Kind of reminds me of Tonya Harding's antics on the eve U.S. Nationals, Worlds or the Olympics.

O-

vCash
    Sing along with me. Tune: West Side Story--Maria
    (with due respect to Stephen Sondheim...)

Maria!
    We just met a troll named Maria.
    Whose purpose to proclaim
    "America is Lame"
    To us.....
    Maria!
    We spotted a troll named Maria.
    Her attitude is sore
    Your buttons, press "ignore"
    Is best.....

vCash
    The Carroll interview is interesting in that of all the skaters, he seems the most genuine when talking about his one major huge headcase, Christopher Bowman. Despite acknowledging all his frustrations he talks about Bowman with a warmth that sounds completely sincere and not at all passive aggressive. He doesn't emphasize the negative, but speaks about all of Bowman's positive qualities.

With regards to Michelle Kwan he praises her effusively but is kind of passive aggressive. He throws shade on her Torino comeback, and suggests that she wasn't sincere about trying to skate there. And I find all of this odd because I saw an interview the two of them did together during Sochi where she was more than respectful of him -- she still seemed totally awed by him. He's strangely impersonal about Evan Lysacek too.

So it's weird that he emphasizes how he's all business, and he's not there to baby the skaters or fix their personal problems, but at the same time he's the most warm about the one skater with insurmountable personal problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
    Sing along with me. Tune: West Side Story--Maria
    (with due respect to Stephen Sondheim...)

Maria!
    We just met a troll named Maria.
    Whose purpose to proclaim
    "America is Lame"
    To us.....
    Maria!
    We spotted a troll named Maria.
    Her attitude is sore
    Your buttons, press "ignore"
    Is best.....
    …when she posts loud
    that means Americans are skating
    when she posts soft
    then there are quads and triple axels displaying…
    Maria…
    we just met a troll named Maria.
    The most repetitive troll we've ever met…
    Maria...
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast