Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    If she continues to skate to traditional "ice queen/pretty girl/princess" music, I don't think she's going to have a breakthrough.
    I think she has had her breakthrough precisely because she fits the bill of American ice princess. Traditionally there has always been one of those and they have done well internationally.

She certainly has some tough competitions in Julia and Adelina, but I expect her to rise in the rankings.

I did like that she held her spiral longer than most of the others, though.

Which reminds me to ask: why are spirals so short at present? Is it because doing a long beautiful as Kwan or Cohen did does not receive any reward?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I think she has had her breakthrough precisely because she fits the bill of American ice princess. Traditionally there has always been one of those and they have done well internationally.
    I don't recall reading nearly as much criticism of Gracie's new style after Nationals where she skated both programs pretty much lights out. Her new short is glorious. Her long isn't as good IMO and feels rather thrown together but I expect a new, better constructed and cut long program next year.

So she skated a tight SP and had a fall in the free skate in the individual event and all of a sudden this style doesn't work for her? I think what makes it slightly bland is her lack of connection to the music and audience. It seems she is focusing mostly on her elements and nothing else. If Frank can get her to relax enough to perform her programs, this style will suit her just fine. In fact, her good lines and powerful fast skating fit the classical style very well.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    A triple axel. In the short program.

Then change her three jump combo to a triple flip half loop triple loop or triple salchow and maybe a triple axel in the long.

But yeah. I say it's time for Gracie to start training it (safely), I think with her technique and tight air rotation it's a realistic goal. I think it'll be hard for any Russian to beat her with it considering her current marks/level. Also she needs to go for power and passion over princess. Only use the princess for refinement in movement, and play up the bitchface for all it's worth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Grace E. Gold?
    Isn't it Gracie Pewter now?

vCash
    She was going for a 3f-3s seq. at the beginning of last season, and a Rippon Lutz. I think these might be things to put in her arsenal to combat the Russian onslaught

vCash
    I think she's actually a better skater than both Russians. She also has all the right ingredients of presentation (fairly classic lines, extension, stretch), but I find her overall presentation quite bland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    I think she's actually a better skater than both Russians. She also has all the right ingredients of presentation (fairly classic lines, extension, stretch), but I find her overall presentation quite bland.
    I agree with this. Gracie has all the physical skills needed to win Worlds or the next Olympics. But she needs better artistry & programs. As Jenny Kirk said, Gracie needs to skate from her soul. Right now, Gracie's presentation is all on the surface. When she's on the ice, she's like a lovely, regal ice princess with beautiful posture and carriage and lines. But her presentation doesn't go any deeper than that. Her programs have no emotional impact. They don't make you feel anything, except admiration. I'm sure Frank must realize this. I assume his main focus for next season will be finding the right programs & music to develop her personality on ice.

The only other thing I worry about is the height of Gracie's jumps. Especially in the individual long in Sochi, I noticed her jumps were great, but kind of low to the ice. This makes me worried she could lose rotation on the jumps if her body changes physically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    The only other thing I worry about is the height of Gracie's jumps. Especially in the individual long in Sochi, I noticed her jumps were great, but kind of low to the ice. This makes me worried she could lose rotation on the jumps if her body changes physically.
    Yes I noticed same thing. I thought she is working on 3A, so I expected better height for her 2A.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Re-posting this from a reply I made in Sekret Sources about Gracie (with a couple of modifications/additions):

Even though the competition in Ladies over the next quad is going to be fierce I don't see Gracie being bumped out of contention by any stretch of the imagination (unless she goes the Zhang route and completely implodes, which I think is highly doubtful). I don't see her being passed over without giving it her all and putting up one hell of a fight.

Gracie is a fighter and is astutely aware of where her skating needs improvement. What she has going for her is that she's definitely on an upward trajectory. Before switching to Frank Carroll, she already had a great 3Z3T and 2A3T, along with being no slouch WRT to her spins. Sure, she doesn't have the ability to practically dislocate her femur from her hip joint, but her spins have fast rotations (in the FS on Thursday, they were faster than they've been all season), excellent centering, and are extremely aesthetically pleasing without having to do freakish contortions to achieve gorgeous positions.

Regarding the technical side of things: While some of Gracie's critics have complained that Frank made her slow down, I think his short-term goal in the limited time (six months) they worked together this season leading up to Nationals and the Olympics. Although that appears to be the case, he's stated that her breakneck speed was causing her to rush into her jumping passes, and (for now, at least), his short-term goal was to have her achieve more control and consistency executing and land her jumps. In that aspect, they were successful, with the 3F being her only real nemesis, which is something they can work on during the off-season. My hope is that as their time together continues, he will be able to add that amazing speed back into her programs and get that Flip under control,

On the non-technical side of things, I would think that their other main goal is to make even more improvement on her "airplane arms" -- there's been a definite improvement in that area, especially in her SP, but going forward, there's definitely more work to be done in that area. I should hope that they are also able to work on improving her connection to the music so that she's able to express the many nuanced portions (both subtle and overt) of her music and find a way to marry them with her choreography.

Gracie's team also needs to work on selecting music for her programs that are more suitable for her that highlight her style of skating as well as her personality. Her Chicago exhibition program is an excellent example that showcases her personality and spunk much better than that Sleeping Beauty dreck, and if they're smart, they will come up with programs that are more in that vein.

Lastly, because it can't be said enough, finding a BETTER SHADE OF LIPSTICK, Gracie!! You're a stunningly beautiful young woman , and there are countless shades of lipstick that are bold in color that won't look like a cheap, tawdry mess !!

vCash
    Is Lori the only choreo Frank uses? She is not big on spunky programs. Frank might have to bring in someone else for Gracie.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Is Lori the only choreo Frank uses?.
    Kwan regularly used others: Phil mills, peter opelgard, Chris dean, sarah arakawa, etc... So I'm assuming the answer is no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I think it's only fair to give Gracie a full season with Frank before we pronounce judgement on whether he is good for her skating or not. She's had a jigsaw puzzle of a season and frankly I'm amazed she was able to salvage it so well considering how lackluster it started, and swapping coaches and programs halfway through. Frank did what he could in the time that he got, and while it had its negative side (more cautious, less powerful) it also had its positive side (fighting for all her jumps, more of a lady on the ice, etc.). A lot of her season was about damage control and setting herself up the best she could for Sochi, and she dang near got herself on the podium for her troubles, an idea that would have made me laugh hysterically six months ago.

My hope is that once Frank has had the time to start from scratch and get her new programs that suit her better, it will all come together. She's got the jumps and now the scores, now she just needs that extra bit of attention and creativity that can set her apart even more. I could really see her being a good medal threat next Worlds.

With regards to her name, I suspect "Grace Gold" has never stuck because let's face it, it just does not sound good rolling off the tongue. Very sharp and awkward. "Gracie Gold", while a little more childish, flows nicely and sounds pleasant. It's a syllable thing. I bet if Gracie had a one-syllable middle name like Anne or Lynn, she could go by Grace-Anne Gold or Grace-Lynn Gold and she'd get away with it. Too bad her parents never considered rink announcers when they picked her name, huh?
    ITA Frank has done so much for her already. I can't wait to see how she continues to develop. I think Gracie could definitley make the podium at Worlds next month.

vCash
    Gracie's LP was done by Marina Zueva, right? For those who paid attention, is it obvious that Lori/Frank made changes to the LP from its debut to now?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    It might not sound great of me, but I wish she would use her given name of 'Grace' instead of 'Gracie'. 'Gracie' sounds much more childish, and makes it harder to equate her with maturity. I know her name has nothing to do with her skating (and her skating has matured a lot over the last year), but I may somehow be projecting the name thing onto her performances when I watch her. Maybe the judges too?

JMHO.
    Do I detect a throwback discussion to Kimmy Meissner?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Gracie's LP was done by Marina Zueva, right? For those who paid attention, is it obvious that Lori/Frank made changes to the LP from its debut to now?
    No, her original SP was done by Zueva to Gershwin's preludes(unfortunately, the violin version) with the new SP done by Lori Nichol. The long program, I believe was originally done by Scott Williams and probably tweaked by Nichol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

Lastly, because it can't be said enough, finding a BETTER SHADE OF LIPSTICK, Gracie!! You're a stunningly beautiful young woman , and there are countless shades of lipstick that are bold in color that won't look like a cheap, tawdry mess !!
    THIS!!!! I know it has nothing to do with her skating, but the color is really distracting to her overall "look."

She must really love it, though- she seems to wear it all the time. Opening and closing ceremonies, etc.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    THIS!!!! I know it has nothing to do with her skating, but the color is really distracting to her overall "look."

She must really love it, though- she seems to wear it all the time. Opening and closing ceremonies, etc.
    She might be under the impression that it's her signature look. One would think that a signature look would be flattering. But because I was seeing all the US figure skating ladies wearing that shade or close to it (and not pulling it off), I am wondering if CoverGirl has the under its thumb.

Really, there are a million shades or red to choose from, there are stains and other potentially more flattering options. Not sure why she/CG is stuck on this.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    As Frank has tried to get Gracie to sort of ease up on the ice and skate just like it's a practice run-through we just saw Adelina rewarded for the exact opposite approach.

Adelina did not hold back on her speed, and if anything jumped bigger than ever.

Gracie looked more deliberate, and her jumps did not seem as strong as they have been in the past.

It will be interesting to watch these two at Worlds. Will Gracie beat Adelina with her more careful approach? Will Adelina be able to duplicate or even come close to her best ever LP from Sochi?

I think Frank's methods are terrific for the long haul - but just as Kwan lost to a more energized Tara in Nagano caution is not always best at the Olympics.

Just my perception but Adelina looked like she was willing to risk a place on the podium by going all out to win the Gold.

Gracie, skating after Caro and Adelina looked like she was trying to hold onto 4th place rather than risking everything for a chance to move up.

Maybe others see it differently? This is not about judges or home ice but about skating under the bright lights and what it takes to win.
    I agree with you. Adelina stood out with the attack. In comparison, Gracie seemed to be a bit careful. I like how some skaters go for it. That helps a lot with the second mark if the program is clean.

vCash
    MrLucky that's the absolute best post I've ever read, you hit the nail on the head, you rocked it!

vCash
    As unpopular as "Sleeping Beauty" might be as a long program choice of music (amongst fans/viewers), I actually think the judges overall have been very positive in their reception. Some of the more non-descript parts of the music have actually made me concentrate more on Gracie's skating skills (which are very good). Of course there can be improvements that can be made with interpretation, but all the pieces are already there.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast