Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Skating is such a mind game, you can't predict how any girl will perform on any given day. Sotnikova has something to lose now, so she might choke the next time around. Lipnitskaya choked this time, so she might have something to prove the next time around. I don't know where Gracie's head is at right now.

vCash
    i love Gracie and her new sense of security under Frank's coaching, but I am not sure the Grace Kelly/january Jones (Mad Men) look either fits her or appeals to our era. When Gracie was on Leno, she was so smart, self-possessed and funny, every bit as much as Ashley. I would like to see her use music that really speaks to her, and maybe take dancing lessons (not just ballet but jazz, ballroom, and Afro-Caribbean) to loosen her up and help her become more expressive.

On the other hand, maybe all she needs is another season with Frank. She almost made the Olympic podium. Seems to me she's on the right track.

vCash
    It might not sound great of me, but I wish she would use her given name of 'Grace' instead of 'Gracie'. 'Gracie' sounds much more childish, and makes it harder to equate her with maturity. I know her name has nothing to do with her skating (and her skating has matured a lot over the last year), but I may somehow be projecting the name thing onto her performances when I watch her. Maybe the judges too?

JMHO.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I wish she'd turn her Chicago EX into a program. Other than that, she needs to land jumps like she did at Nationals, was quite a bit tighter at the Olympcs, and she needs to project and sell her programs more. Not everyone can be Dai but everyone should at least try.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Oh thank God! Someone to pick-up Kimmie Meisner's mantle! For a second there, I thought we'd be cast adrift without one contender for the "Peggy Flemming award". And I refuse to watch any broadcast where the commentator goes by Johnny!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    It might not sound great of me, but I wish she would use her given name of 'Grace' instead of 'Gracie'. 'Gracie' sounds much more childish, and makes it harder to equate her with maturity. I know her name has nothing to do with her skating (and her skating has matured a lot over the last year), but I may somehow be projecting the name thing onto her performances when I watch her. Maybe the judges too?

JMHO.
    She tried, her team issued a dictum, but it was ignored. Apparently we like "Gracie." This was before she moved to Carroll so perhaps Sir Frank can make it happen if she still wants to be Grace... but it is probably too late. She informed the world, "i am Gracie Gold" in her VISA ad.

vCash
    I personally would like to see her have a complete style overhaul. Everything from her packaging (hair, makeup, costumes) to having more interesting, edgier programs and choreography. The technical aspect is already there. She just needs to be consistent and slightly less cookie cutter and boring. Also, a small nitpick, but I really wish she would be less stiff and relax her shoulders while skating. But that's just how I feel...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post

Just my perception but Adelina looked like she was willing to risk a place on the podium by going all out to win the Gold.
    That's how the gold medal has been won at least in the ladies event, for the past several olympics. Lapinski vs. Kwan, for example. Hughes did it, Kim and Arwakawa.

vCash
    Well, I think it's safe to say no Russian ladies are winning that gold in Pyeongchang so maybe she doesn't have to do all that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by princeton123 View Post
    Well, I think it's safe to say no Russian ladies are winning that gold in Pyeongchang so maybe she doesn't have to do all that much.
    "Safe to say?"

Gracie needs something that makes her stand out. Others have the big jumps (Sotnikova), better spins (Lipnitskaya), more presence on the ice (just about every other major contender...), etc.

I prefer the name "Gracie Gold" instead of "Grace."

vCash
    I think she is already progressing quite nicely, maybe just a bit more projection to the audience, and some more competitive experience. With the retirement of the established skaters, I think only Julia L. can beat Gracie more often than not. Gracie is pretty much as shoo-in for a medal at the next Worlds if she skates well, and will be competing with the very top ladies going forward.

vCash
    https://twitter.com/GraceEGold/statu...28856536776704

Gracie needs to delete all her social media accounts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I think she is already progressing quite nicely, maybe just a bit more projection to the audience, and some more competitive experience. With the retirement of the established skaters, I think only Julia L. can beat Gracie more often than not. Gracie is pretty much as shoo-in for a medal at the next Worlds if she skates well, and will be competing with the very top ladies going forward.
    A shoo-in to medal at worlds next month? Really? She will face two skaters who beat her at the Olympics and have to fend off Mao Asada as well. That's not including one or two other Japanese skaters who will also be competing at home. As I already said, color me doubtful that Akiko won't be there too. And Kanako has a knack for skating well when you don't expect her to and the home country advantage should help her. I love Gracie but she's not a shoo-in at all, especially at a worlds in Japan.

vCash
    I also wish she looked less like she was channeling Betty Draper on ice. She's young, she's pretty , she should look young and pretty like she did in the Chicago exhibition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSkates View Post
    That's how the gold medal has been won at least in the ladies event, for the past several olympics. Lapinski vs. Kwan, for example. Hughes did it, Kim and Arwakawa.
    Funny, I'd say shiz is the poster child for skating safe to win.

vCash
    Frank needs to take the brakes off of Gracie and let her skate with the speed power and yes abandon like she did last season. She now knows how to compete but is too deliberate in her skating at times now.

vCash
    I just feel like Gracie feels almost "generic" in her style. I think she's a talented girl though and her posture has improved, but I wish they'd get her programs she could be "more" herself with. Adorable girl though Stah Quality.

vCash
    I think it's only fair to give Gracie a full season with Frank before we pronounce judgement on whether he is good for her skating or not. She's had a jigsaw puzzle of a season and frankly I'm amazed she was able to salvage it so well considering how lackluster it started, and swapping coaches and programs halfway through. Frank did what he could in the time that he got, and while it had its negative side (more cautious, less powerful) it also had its positive side (fighting for all her jumps, more of a lady on the ice, etc.). A lot of her season was about damage control and setting herself up the best she could for Sochi, and she dang near got herself on the podium for her troubles, an idea that would have made me laugh hysterically six months ago.

My hope is that once Frank has had the time to start from scratch and get her new programs that suit her better, it will all come together. She's got the jumps and now the scores, now she just needs that extra bit of attention and creativity that can set her apart even more. I could really see her being a good medal threat next Worlds.

With regards to her name, I suspect "Grace Gold" has never stuck because let's face it, it just does not sound good rolling off the tongue. Very sharp and awkward. "Gracie Gold", while a little more childish, flows nicely and sounds pleasant. It's a syllable thing. I bet if Gracie had a one-syllable middle name like Anne or Lynn, she could go by Grace-Anne Gold or Grace-Lynn Gold and she'd get away with it. Too bad her parents never considered rink announcers when they picked her name, huh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I think it's only fair to give Gracie a full season with Frank before we pronounce judgement on whether he is good for her skating or not.
    I agree. Why all the doom and gloom?

In my opinion, Gracie's been nothing on an upward momentum.

Since switching to Frank, she's skated mostly clean programs, including the triple Lutz-triple toe in each one.

I thought her presentation was noticeably improved from Nationals, and even from the team event to the individual event.

And in many respects, she is BETTER than Adelina and Julia. She has more technically correct jumps, and just because she isn't super bendy doesn't mean she can't hit level 4 (Gracie's spin positions are solid).

I hope moving forward that the Russians' PCS normalize, because in no way are they 9.5+ skaters ... yet.

I think Gracie would greatly benefit from a world title/medal to keep her in the mix.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I think it's only fair to give Gracie a full season with Frank before we pronounce judgement on whether he is good for her skating or not. She's had a jigsaw puzzle of a season and frankly I'm amazed she was able to salvage it so well considering how lackluster it started, and swapping coaches and programs halfway through. Frank did what he could in the time that he got, and while it had its negative side (more cautious, less powerful) it also had its positive side (fighting for all her jumps, more of a lady on the ice, etc.). A lot of her season was about damage control and setting herself up the best she could for Sochi, and she dang near got herself on the podium for her troubles, an idea that would have made me laugh hysterically six months ago.

My hope is that once Frank has had the time to start from scratch and get her new programs that suit her better, it will all come together. She's got the jumps and now the scores, now she just needs that extra bit of attention and creativity that can set her apart even more. I could really see her being a good medal threat next Worlds.

With regards to her name, I suspect "Grace Gold" has never stuck because let's face it, it just does not sound good rolling off the tongue. Very sharp and awkward. "Gracie Gold", while a little more childish, flows nicely and sounds pleasant. It's a syllable thing. I bet if Gracie had a one-syllable middle name like Anne or Lynn, she could go by Grace-Anne Gold or Grace-Lynn Gold and she'd get away with it. Too bad her parents never considered rink announcers when they picked her name, huh?
    Grace E. Gold?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast