Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Mike hardly ever landed her quads cleanly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    Short answer: Politiks.

Oh - how right you are. And Frank needs to stop the negative comments about other skaters.....
    Bad and rookie move by someone of Frank's stature.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    No not at all actually. That's Frank using his experience, he knows that the judges and public will take something he says seriously. What Frank says people pay attention to, as long as Gracie delivers if he does that.. It plant the thought into the publics head which can stem over to the judges. Look at Patrick Chan this season after speaking out after Denis didn't win Worlds (his component were a lot lower in the SP is what his argument was), the judges were less willing to shower him with the PCS and had no problem placing other skaters ahead of him (more so than in other seasons). Frank knows what he's doing and I think there's a rhyme or reason for all of it. He's less emotional about things and more logical and rational, which also makes people in the skating community take what he says more seriously. Gracie's PCS went up from the team event after he made those comments too didn't they? Making the comments on Lipnitskaya made people automatically compare the two of them, and it's partially why we saw a rise in Gracie's PCS IMO.

I'm not saying the judges necessarily care, but if they did care what a coach had to say it would be Frank Carrol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Mike hardly ever landed her quads cleanly.
    oh, miki at first I thought you meant Weiss, and I was like "oh her, yeah she was always two footing them"

vCash
    I actually think GG is the best thing that could happen to the USA ~ she looks like the perfect all-American princess ~ in fact during the Olympics she reminded me of a real-life Disney Princess (aka Cinderella http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...-1024-1024.jpg). But more than that she has it all when it comes to skating, which matters the most imho. Speed, jumps, consistency, spins, all-around skater. Kind of like a grown up version of Tara Lipinski but with better jumps and more maturity, though lacking Tara's natural exuberance. Hmmm, in that sense she reminds me of Nancy Kerrigan with shades of Jennifer Kirk's "Grace Kelly" look thrown in, as I always thought of Jennifer as Grace Kelly on ice.

Imho the reason why GG has that *stepford wife" demeanor is b/c it settles her down to be calm/cool/collectecd, which she needs to perform well on ice. It brings to mind what GG's twin told NBC the night of her FS (GG tweeted her twin that she was "scared"). Hopefully as GG gets more comfortable on the ice and grows into her own skin she'll be able to let loose with whatever is inside her (kinda like Michelle's transformation with "Salome"). She's only 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Gracie may get pushed domestically too with Polina's more demanding jumps and musicality. I wonder if Gracie
    would go back to trying a 3f - 3sal seq. or a Rippon Lutz to compete w/ her
    i loved Gracie's Rippon lutz. It was such a distinction and made her seem even taller on the ice. But I thought Adam complained that it wasnt well rewarded.

vCash
    sorry, got cut off there, and cannot use the EDIT function.

I meant to say that she's only 18 and has a lot more time to develop. Already a Jr. National Champion, Jr. World Silver Medalist, Sr. National Champion, and 4th at her first Olympics is superb!

Regards going head to head with Russia's best (aka Adelina & Julia) I think GG is on par with them, if not already ahead when it comes to all around packaging and being an all around skater. I'd love to see where she places when she skates clean with 7 triples and at least one 3/3 combo. with her signature Rippon Lutz. Imho that should guarantee her the World Title, and if she had done so at the Olympics (along with a clean powerful SP) would've made her an Olympic Champion. jmho.

Lastly, she's easily America's #1 female skater, not just in terms of success and jumps but she has the complete total "look". The only one that could challenge her in that department would be Polina Edmunds, whom also is tall, long-limbed, blonde, loaded with 3/3 combos., et al. Though I think GG has the edge in the jumps department, especially when it comes to complete rotation, however Polina has the edge in being a natural ballerina on ice, though GG could surprise me in that department as well. Everybody else, no, not really. I mean I have always been a fan of Ashley since 2008 (when I thought she should've won the National Title over Mirai), but I think Ashley is limited when it comes to the jumps (same as Samantha Cesario), but she's got gutsiness and passion on her side. Still, I don't think it will be enough to overtake the 18 yr. old GG, nor has it. Then there's my personal favorite darkhorse pick Courtney Hicks, whom doesn't have the look but has the jumps (similar to Max Aaron, whom should be her inspiration). Also, there's Agnes Zawadski, whom has come a loooong way and does have the look & jumps, but not the consistency of GG...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I find that with Gracie everything appears so rehearsed and very much like a pageant queen. She was very tight and cautious at the Olympics and on the defense. She needs to attack and execute everything full out with all of her energy, much like Adelina did at the Olympics and like she did at Nationals in Boston.
    that's exactly my problem with her too overdone, makeup dresses etc. she looks like a barbie doll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crs View Post
    that's exactly my problem with her too overdone, makeup dresses etc. she looks like a barbie doll.

Have to agree with this. I don't like her new hair either. I'll give her the jumps but otherwise do not care for her one bit. Anyway we already have the Barbie Brand and we don't need it on ice.

I feel her totally unauthentic other than when her shark-like personality slips through.
    I call her Gracie the Shark.

Polina, on the other hand was a breath of fresh air in every way/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Skating is such a mind game, you can't predict how any girl will perform on any given day. Sotnikova has something to lose now, so she might choke the next time around. Lipnitskaya choked this time, so she might have something to prove the next time around. I don't know where Gracie's head is at right now.
    Sotnikova won Olympic gold all by herself unlike the Team medallists. She's already got National titles and European medals in her trophy case. She just needs to add a World medal now. Imo, she's got NOTHING to lose. She's already grabbed the elusive Olympic Golden Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    It might not sound great of me, but I wish she would use her given name of 'Grace' instead of 'Gracie'. 'Gracie' sounds much more childish, and makes it harder to equate her with maturity. I know her name has nothing to do with her skating (and her skating has matured a lot over the last year), but I may somehow be projecting the name thing onto her performances when I watch her. Maybe the judges too?

JMHO.
    Imo, most judges could care less what Gold calls herself as long as she produces on the ice. There's nothing wrong with using a diminutive. Johnny Depp does it, so does Johnny Weir. A name like Trixie (Schuba's first name) was and is kind of cute to my ears anyway but it never held HER back with judges, why should Gracie be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Is Lori the only choreo Frank uses? She is not big on spunky programs. Frank might have to bring in someone else for Gracie.
    I thought that Mirai's 'Pirates' SP from the 2010 Olympic season was pretty durn spunky.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 03-02-2014 at 01:21 AM.

vCash
    I think Gracie just needs more time with Frank. Hopefully, she'll work on connecting more with her music and the audience. I really like her skating, but she comes off as fairly wooden to me when she skates. She's got such pure jump technique, but maybe ballet training or something would help her. I also wish she showed more personality - she comes off as being very pageant like in her interviews.

vCash
    You folks mention everything but jumps. If she can land all the same jumps as the girls on the podium, everything else is extraneous.
    Last edited by Johnny_Fever; 03-09-2014 at 06:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shellbell757 View Post
    I think Gracie just needs more time with Frank. Hopefully, she'll work on connecting more with her music and the audience. I really like her skating, but she comes off as fairly wooden to me when she skates. She's got such pure jump technique, but maybe ballet training or something would help her. I also wish she showed more personality - she comes off as being very pageant like in her interviews.
    It has been reported that Gracie is taking ballet, and has been since she started with Frank. It will take a while for that training to show up in her skating, but it does show that they are aware of her weaknesses and are working to correct them.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Oh - how right you are. And Frank needs to stop the negative comments about other skaters.....
    Bad and rookie move by someone of Frank's stature.
    Yeah, "bad and rookie" to state your opinions and speak to the truth.
    Get to a certain age, and not time for that bs.

Frank is not about playing games. I like that. He says his piece at that's that!

vCash
    Gracie's natural artistry hasn't had time to develop. I suspect now that she'll have a full season with Frank & Lori, Lori will tap into what speaks to Gracie. I don't mind the "rehearsed" Gracie because after nationals last year nearly everyone of USFS/fans/critics wanted to fast track her artistically because of Sochi. Now, she'll have time to breathe and find out who and what she wants to "be" artistically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabooke View Post
    Gracie's natural artistry hasn't had time to develop. I suspect now that she'll have a full season with Frank & Lori, Lori will tap into what speaks to Gracie. I don't mind the "rehearsed" Gracie because after nationals last year nearly everyone of USFS/fans/critics wanted to fast track her artistically because of Sochi. Now, she'll have time to breathe and find out who and what she wants to "be" artistically.
    I agree. I'm actually quite excited to see her programs next season since she already has one full season with Frank. I really hope that we'll see some improvements in her "artistry" and that they'll pick music and choreography that plays to her strengths and not focus on her weaknesses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redfiretrees View Post
    I agree. I'm actually quite excited to see her programs next season since she already has one full season with Frank. I really hope that we'll see some improvements in her "artistry" and that they'll pick music and choreography that plays to her strengths and not focus on her weaknesses.
    And I know the PERFECT music she should skate to for her short program next season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajA0sNkQJ_0

This song would be a great vehicle for Gracie to showcase her power and athletic ability, as well as give her the "edge" that she desperately needs so she won't be another boring "cookie-cutter ice princess". If she doesn't use this song for a competitive program, she should at least skate to it as an exhibition. With the right choreography and her explosive jumps, the audience will go nuts! But alas, this is only wishful thinking. I can only dream that she would skate to something this interesting.
    Last edited by lilshorty; 04-03-2014 at 06:50 PM.

vCash
    She just needs to skate 2 clean programs and she will have a chance to win most ever competition she enters. It's all up to her. A medal was just waiting for her at Worlds with a clean performance but she blew it. She needs to get that 2axel under control though which would be a good start.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lilshorty View Post
    And I know the PERFECT music she should skate to for her short program next season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajA0sNkQJ_0

This song would be a great vehicle for Gracie to showcase her power and athletic ability, as well as give her the "edge" that she desperately needs so she won't be another boring "cookie-cutter ice princess". If she doesn't use this song for a competitive program, she should at least skate to it as an exhibition. With the right choreography and her explosive jumps, the audience will go nuts! But alas, this is only wishful thinking. I can only dream that she would skate to something this interesting.
    I actually LOVE the idea of this being a skating program, but I don't know if I see Gracie pulling it off. Wagner or even Cesario, absolutely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Sotnikova won Olympic gold all by herself
    Sotnikova winning the gold all by herself is still being debated.. Her hugging that woman with what looks like a clip on pony tail would say otherwise..

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast