Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Russia and U.S. did in fact work together to fix Olympic judging

1. French newspaper leaks story about corrupt judging, insinuating that USOC and Russian Federation struck a deal to ensure Russian victory in Team and Pairs, U.S. victory in Dance.

2. Although most would not question the placements (except some in dance..debateable), the margin of victories and protocols caught the attention of many in the skating world.
    In hindsight, V/T could have made errors and still beaten a clean S/S.
    D/W could have made errors and still beaten clean V/M.

3. Neither side was competitive in the men's competition.

4. In the ladies competition, the two Russian skaters have been accused of unreal scores. But lost in this debate is that U.S. skater Gracie Gold also received questionable scoring. Previously thought unable to score above 120s clean, she fell on her ass in the Olympics and still scored 136. Julia fell and stepped out and still scored 135.

The results suggest American and Russian cooperation throughout the entire games, which reached the most intense point during the disputed ladies competition. Scott Hamilton, USFS insider and commentator on NBC, seemed to hedge his commentary all week, to the point where a nuanced ear could pick up signs that something was afoot. In the end, the protocols indicate that the Russians would have finished 1-2 had they gone clean -- no matter what any other skater would have done -- and Gracie would have beaten at least Caro and possibly Yuna as well.

While British, Canadian, German, Italian tv etc. called the results outrageous, NBC was very careful to spread propaganda that the results were justified. Tara Lipinski even said "Yuna didn't bring any guts" to the competition during the late night broadcast. Having worked in the broadcast field, it happens that talking points and storylines are discussed during production meetings, that higher ups at NBC and USFSA would have passed onto the announcers, including Scott Hamilton, Sandra Bezic, Tara Lipinski, and Johnny Weir. Sandra Bezic has long been in Yuna Kim's corner, but rather than make an outrage at the results as she did in 2002, she merely said "I prefer Yuna, but others will have their own opinion". A cop-out to hedge her loyalties both ways...while the others all showed clear bias towards certain skaters and certain outcomes.

vCash
    You dropped your tin foil hat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    The story is already gaining international momentum.

vCash
    Lots of ridiculous stories and unfounded allegations get international momentum!

vCash
    How you can say 'in fact' when you have exactly ZERO proof.

vCash
    Yeah, I was hoping for a Senft/Balkov style recording or similar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    How you can say 'in fact' when you have exactly ZERO proof.
    The French newspaper reported before the Olys that Russia and U.S. worked together to fix the results.

Team...Russia
    Pairs...Russia
    Men's...neither country was competitive
    Dance...U.S.
    Ladies...???

In the team competition, Russia won.

In pairs, Russia won, and in hindsight V/T could have made mistakes and still beaten clean S/S, such was their curious margin of victory.
    (remember no deductions for hands on ice, etc.)

In Dance, U.S. won, and in hindsight D/W could have made mistakes and still beaten a clean V/M.

These were the easiest competitions to fix, essentially two team races in disciplines where mistakes are rare among the top teams.

-----

In men's, niether side was competitive.

In ladies, the results are much more in flux, with a deep field and high variance for mistakes. Nevertheless you can tell that:
    Clean Adelina would have beaten everyone (except maybe Julia).
    Clean Julia would have beaten everyone (except maybe Adelina).
    Clean Gold would have beaten anyone else.

This despite that Russians nor Gold had never topped 120s total or low 60s in PCS in their entire careers until they were named to their olympic teams last month.

Then, Russians PCS jumped from low 60s to almost 70 in one competition and almost 75 for Adelina at next competition at Olympics.

Gracie miraculously scored 136 after falling (without the -1 deduction it would have been 137.9 then add in the lost points she would have been well into the 140s).

If you are unable to figure all of this out, then you must be a simpleton or willing to turn a blind eye.
    Last edited by ToFarAwayTimes; 02-21-2014 at 09:41 AM.

vCash
    Also this (shamelessly plucked from GSF):

I'm getting tired from no sleep after this. So, for fun, I typed this:

======================

The judges who stayed for both the SP & FS:

HOWARD Karen CANADA
    BENINI Franco ITALY
    FOELL Birgit GERMANY
    YOSHIOKA Nobuhiko JAPAN
    DOMANSKA Adriana SLOVAK

==

The ones who only did the SP:

ROSENBLUTH Robert USA
    STEVENS Diana UK
    HENRIKSSON Katarina SWEDEN
    KOH Sung-Hee KOREA

==

The above were substituted at the FS by:

BALKOV Yury UKRAINE = "the Tapper"
    KULIK Zanna ESTONIA = Russian
    SHEKHOVTSEVA Alla RUSSIA = "the Wife" (many stories follow her, good or bad)
    CUCUPHAT Helene FRANCE = nation 2002

======================

- And we also know the Russian tech control thing... He could've finally bloomed here thing...
    - BTW, the judging panel names for FS did not come up until far after the SP. Anyone know why they do that, or if this was first?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    Oh darn it, I can't rep this. Will someone please do?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Looks like the Moonies for YNK are out in full force, as expected...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Oh darn it, I can't rep this. Will someone please do?
    Done!

vCash
    I can't say that I always agreed with the results but the results in an of themselves do not prove anything - before the Olympics only two programs ever had received more than 140 points - both from Kim, in 2010 and at last year's world championships. At this Olympics we had 140 points programs from Sotnikova, Kim, Kostner, & Asada -many of the skaters received higher PCS than they had ever received previously and it seems apparent that ISU told the judges 'Don't hold back' with the PCS (though Asada should have higher PCS) and why wouldn't they. If they're not going to use the higher end of the PCS at the Olympics when are they going to use them. That said the questions do continue to swirl around the judges and it is up to the ISU to address this issue by identifying the judges with their marks and by making the judges independent of the federations. Skating officials should have little or no contact with skaters outside of official duties. The idea that judges are personally congratulating skaters is making me furious and that level of incompetence should render ineligible to judge international competitions - officials are not there to be the skaters friends and should make all attempts to be and appear to be impartial.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    Wait- so now the commentators are in on it too?

The only result of the Olympics that was the least bit surprising, but only slightly, was ladies. Why would they fix events they are likely to win anyway? Unless you are also on the train that ice dance has been fixed for 2 years to guarantee this result?

The idea that judges are personally congratulating skaters is making me furious and that level of incompetence should render ineligible to judge international competitions - officials are not there to be the skaters friends and should make all attempts to be and appear to be impartial.
    I do think some of the things judges have done have appeared sketchy, but that doesn't mean they were cheating. The one thing I saw (because I didn't get to watch everything) was the judge from Japan having a fangirl moment trying to get a picture with Hanyu during the flower ceremony. I mean, it was like she was talking with a rockstar the way she was acting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ToFarAwayTimes View Post
    While British, Canadian, German, Italian tv etc. called the results outrageous ...
    Which British TV?

If you mean the BBC, Robin Cousins initially thought Yuna Kim had probably done enough, and said 'well, it will be very close hmm goodness me, this is going to be tight and close' then following the slo-mo reviews, he said, 'I called it then but now I'm not so sure having seen one of those (jumps) replayed' Doesn't sound like 'outrageous' to me.
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ToFarAwayTimes View Post
    Scott Hamilton, USFS insider and commentator on NBC, seemed to hedge his commentary all week, to the point where a nuanced ear could pick up signs that something was afoot.
    Are Scott and Sandra actually calling the event live? I swear that both times I've watched NBC primetime coverage (and especially for the ladies), it doesn't sound like it. For the ladies, it seemed like Scott tailored his Sotnikova commentary because he knew she'd already won, i.e., he was narrating over a tape of the broadcast.

vCash
    The US is really bad at "fixing" if the best they could negotiate is a win for D&W, who were favored to win anyway. Pretty piss poor negotiating skills if you ask me.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Wait- so now the commentators are in on it too?
    Clearly you don't read the uber threads . The commentators are all keeping what they really think to themselves, either because they work for NBC or because they don't want to lose their jobs with other networks or because they want to keep in the good graces of the IOC or the ISU.

NBC also rigged the skate order draws.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Clearly you don't read the uber threads . The commentators are all keeping what they really think to themselves, either because they work for NBC or because they don't want to lose their jobs with other networks or because they want to keep in the good graces of the IOC or the ISU.

You can tell the commentators are in on it because they're words don't match their facial expressions
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Are Scott and Sandra actually calling the event live? I swear that both times I've watched NBC primetime coverage (and especially for the ladies), it doesn't sound like it. For the ladies, it seemed like Scott tailored his Sotnikova commentary because he knew she'd already won, i.e., he was narrating over a tape of the broadcast.
    Honestly, I've had the same feeling. Some of the commentary seemed a bit too prescient, as did including the montage of Kostner falling apart at past Olympics right before her brilliant skate. Other skaters have competed with Olympic horror stories, but she's the only one to get the montage treatment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

And, at the GPF, the cameramen were even in on it. The camera angles were designed to hide a certain team's errors!
    Creating drama!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast