Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    For things I saw live- the absolute worst for me was Jessica and Bryce's accident in Colorado Springs. It happened right in front of me, and for a time, we didn't know if she was going to make it.

It puts bad skates and poor judging into perspective for me- just not on the same scale.
    Oh my gosh, yes, I saw that on tv and found it horrifying!

vCash
    - Underhill and Martini at the 1984 Olympics
    - Daria Grinkova patting her mother`s back at the tribute to her father in 1996 - I cried my eyes out and I never was a fan...
    - Mishkutenok/Dmitriev losing to G/G at the 1994 Olympics
    - Short Program men at the 1994 Olympics, my favourites were Brian, Kurt and Viktor
    - Same Olympics plus 1998 bronze medalist Philippe Candeloro. There are so many better skaters out there without an olympic medal
    - 2014 Olympics ladies....
    - 1992 Olympics Duchesnays with their dullest free Dance ever
    - Michelle in SLC
    - Patrick in Sochi
    - Every medal Plushenko ever won ;-)

vCash
    As bad as I felt for Savchenko/Szolkowy in Sochi, I felt even worse for Pang/Tong, who were robbed of the gold in 2010 and bronze in 2014.

However, I felt the absolute worst when I heard about the crash that killed Angela Nikodinov's mom. She's had to face so much tragedy in her life. Still sad about Sergei Grinkov's death, too.

I was at both the 2003 Nationals where all those weird things happened in the men's event and witnessed the whole Dortmund streaker. Odd nights, both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skating is fun View Post
    - Same Olympics plus 1998 bronze medalist Philippe Candeloro. There are so many better skaters out there without an olympic medal
    Nope, there's not only technics in skating you know even if they try to reduce it to that now. Plus to deserve an olympic medal, you have to perform the right day, some didn't, he did : deserved medals. The others have to train better next time.

Worst, Grushina Goncharov on any podiums. Margaglio comes close.

Gordeeva Grinkov beating Mishkutionok Dmitriev.

Soldatova on a world podium...

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    In the "real life of things", nothing can compare to a death, Sergei, Joannie's mother, etc.

For me it was Nagano hands down.Michelle's not winning there was devastating.
    Last edited by kwanette; 02-28-2014 at 07:12 PM.

vCash
    G&G were at their prime when he passed away. They could still compete, and do whatever the wanted. It makes me wonder what Sergei would have thought of the next generation or two of pairs skaters. So many have said they admire G&G. I think he would be proud, yet modest. They left that much of an impression.

vCash
    Sarah Hughes winning OGM in 2002.

vCash
    Of course, Sergei Grinkov's death and the other tragic events already listed here.

Recently... Oda not making it to Sochi.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Fusar-Poli and Margaglio winning 2001 Worlds. I still don't get that.

And Sasha Cohen falling twice in Torino. I didn't expect her to skate a clean programme but two mistakes were so heartbreaking.

vCash
    See I was a child when Lipinski won and I think I identified with her. Her LP felt so joyful and I was really happy when she won. I was never big on Michelle though. Lipinski and Baiul were the only skaters that stuck in my young mind for some reason.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Debi Thomas' implosion in Calgary She let Katarina get in her head - bad!
    Totally agree. I was extremely upset when Debi didn't win. Also for me, Max Aaron's sad, sad eyes when he was doing the exhibition at Natls this year, having just competed a few hours earlier and finding out he wouldn't be going to the Olympics. He's such a classy guy, he tried his best, but it was obvious he was devastated.

vCash
    Yeah, Debi's LP in Calgary was not a great moment. Ditto with Midori Ito and her 1992 Olympic SP (and seeing the look on her face after the music ended).

vCash
    When Michelle fell in SLC. Nagano would have been worse, but I didn't really become a skating fan until after Nagano. I started following Michelle's career from that point on and became the uber-fan I am today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marina92 View Post
    Also for me, Max Aaron's sad, sad eyes when he was doing the exhibition at Natls this year, having just competed a few hours earlier and finding out he wouldn't be going to the Olympics. He's such a classy guy, he tried his best, but it was obvious he was devastated.
    I think what made that exhibition worse was the total lack of response from the crowd. I've been told that the crowd was "drained" from Mirai's performance. I still think their lack of reaction to Max was unjustifiably rude. Mirai may have missed the Olympic team and had her heart broken, but Max had too, and he had had a lot more to suggest he could make the team than she had.

vCash
    Hmm - I think maybe the battle of the Brians, 1988 Calgary Olympics. I actually loved both skates but Orser was so devastated and the Canadian media had eyes on his uber nervous Mother the whole time, to be generous probably because they expected a great victory, but she was in the middle of a nervous breakdown and it was horrible to see. That night I dreamt that Orser was so despondent about losing that he tried to top himself. I remember waking up then trying to send him good vibes and letting him know he had skated superbly and hadn't let the whole country down - we were very proud of him. I was seriously frightened for him. Guess I was pretty wrapped up in all the hype myself, eh?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    Being in the audience at Skate America when Totmianina and Marinin had their accident is my worst moment. That was devastating to see. I knew she was a rock star when she was on the Pittsburgh news a couple days later complaining that her coach wouldn't let her practice yet.
    Oh, God, I saw that on TV and gasped so loudly my mother came in from the next room to see what had happened. That was awful.

I was heartbroken for Michelle when she had to withdraw in Torino. I knew realistically she wasn't going to win, but to have to bow out without even skating...

MAD about T/D in 1994. But I'm over it. Mostly. Still the best OD.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    A tie between T/M in Pittsburgh and D/D in Colorado Springs -- I was there in person for both. For a while I felt like a pairs jinx but there are others of you who were also in both places. I missed the Hartsells, thank god, but still think of him and wonder how he's doing.

In terms of heartbreaking skating, for me it was Sasha falling twice in Turin when the gold medal was hers for the asking with a clean or almost-clean skate. I loved that long program of hers and so wanted it to be beautiful.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Deciding on one is hard for me. So I will name my two most disappointing skating moments. #1. For me, would have to be Alissa Czisny falling apart at the 2010 Nationals and destroying any chance of being on the Olympic Team. #2. would have to be Angela Nikodinov doing the same thing during her Sleeping Beauty free skate at the 2002 Nationals.

vCash
    Tough one. It's a tie between Debi Thomas in Calgary and Kwan in Nagano.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    You know after thinking about this some...I kinda want to put Josee Chouinard in Lillehammer. When Tonja's famous broken skate string happened, she was sort of rushed out onto the ice. Had to throw her mind for a whirl which in hand seemed to derail her "American in Paris" free.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast