Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    TWoP (Television Without Pity) presents: The Breakout Stars of the Olympics

(several skaters in this photo gallery)

I love that Meryl and Charlie were first on the list. I think they truly will become the darlings of these games for the U.S.

vCash
    Another good article I hadn't seen on the future of the US Dance Olympians:

http://www.freep.com/article/2014022...TS17/302200139

vCash
    Welcome laire!

Another article about DWTS. I REALLY want them to go to worlds more than do this, but I have a feeling this will happen instead.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainm...-hough-2014202

vCash
    I think the television ratings would go through the roof if they both joined DWTS, and let's face it, if you're a skater you have to strike while the iron is hot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    Another good article I hadn't seen on the future of the US Dance Olympians:

http://www.freep.com/article/2014022...TS17/302200139
    Wow. The Shibutanis might not continue? I'm rather shocked by that. Especially with V/M and D/W both likely retiring they would be Marina's #1 team. And not only that but they're both still very young.

I wonder if they see the writing on the wall from the judges and are maybe thinking of looking for new partners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle24 View Post
    Wow. The Shibutanis might not continue? I'm rather shocked by that. Especially with V/M and D/W both likely retiring they would be Marina's #1 team. And not only that but they're both still very young.
    I thought Alex might not continue any longer. I'd be surprised if Maia also retires, but she might also not want another partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura4 View Post
    I think the television ratings would go through the roof if they both joined DWTS, and let's face it, if you're a skater you have to strike while the iron is hot.
    I wonder how it would be perceived. I mean, people seem to get mad about "ringers" every year (even though they often win...so someone is voting for them.) None of those ringers has ever had intense ballroom dance training. This just seems really unfair if they competed.

vCash
    Cosmo article
    http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrit...st-ice-dancers

at Meryl's Tinder quip
    Last edited by mollymgr; 02-20-2014 at 09:40 PM.

vCash
    TV ALERT!

Meryl and Charlie are on EXTRA today; check your local listings.

EDIT:

Starts ~ 6 minutes into the show; lasts ~ 1 minute. Talk DWTS, Derek Hough interview clip, some kid skating pix of D&W, clips of them visiting with children.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 02-20-2014 at 09:39 PM.

vCash
    As much as I'd love the Shibs, I agree that they're not exactly in the judges' favor right now. Whether they need a partner change or coaching change, their future still looks iffy. As Meryl and Charlie have proven, longevity and consistency really are the best ways to succeed, and changing partners or coaches would hurt that advantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I thought Alex might not continue any longer. I'd be surprised if Maia also retires, but she might also not want another partner.
    I've always assumed that if either Alex or Maia want out of ice dance, then they would both retire. They're each others' best friends and clearly love their partnership, which you either find with another partner or you don't. And even if they both began training with other partners, it would take a long time, perhaps an indefinite one, to match their lines and overall skating skills as the Shibs already match each other. I'm saddened that they are considering calling it quits, but they are both young and super personable and have all kinds of bright futures ahead.

Fun article, btw. Evan Bates comes off as less of a robot when he's around Charlie. Charlie has that effect on everybody!
    Last edited by TheKitties; 02-20-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Noun, not verb

vCash
    Meryl and Charlie did a little bit of a Q&A on Ralph Lauren's twitter today. Scroll down to see their replies.

https://twitter.com/RalphLauren/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKitties View Post
    I've always assumed that if either Alex or Maia want out of ice dance, then they would both retire. They're each others' best friends and clearly love their partnership, which you either find with another partner or you don't. And even if they both began training with other partners, it would take a long time, perhaps an indefinite one, to match their lines and overall skating skills as the Shibs already match each other. I'm saddened that they are considering calling it quits, but they are both young and super personable and have all kinds of bright futures ahead.

Fun article, btw. Evan Bates comes off as less of a robot when he's around Charlie. Charlie has that effect on everybody!
    I'm not a big Chock and Bates fan but Evan has gone up in my estimation at the Olympics and only partly because of his performances. His friendship with Charlie and joy at their success scored big brownie points with me. I am telling myself to be less snarky in the future when watching C/B

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle24 View Post
    Welcome laire!

Another article about DWTS. I REALLY want them to go to worlds more than do this, but I have a feeling this will happen instead.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainm...-hough-2014202
    And if Julianne came back on the show to partner Charlie, I would just die of happiness.

vCash
    Does anyone know how the DWTS schedule works? Isn't there one in the fall too? Wouldn't it clash with Stars on Ice which has already been promoting D/W? I do realize Evan Lysacek did both in the summer of 2010.

vCash
    Hasn't 'Stars' cut down to only a handful of appearances? I can hear the DWTS fans whining already, "They've got too much of an advantage. They're basically already dancers."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymgr View Post
    Does anyone know how the DWTS schedule works? Isn't there one in the fall too? Wouldn't it clash with Stars on Ice which has already been promoting D/W? I do realize Evan Lysacek did both in the summer of 2010.
    Recall from Evan's time -- rehearsals on Sundays, taping on Mondays (the dance) and Tuesdays (the Results). DWTS did away with a separate results show last season except for the finale, so if they do it that way again, there would only be one Tuesday commitment. Evan worked it so that he did not appear in any Sunday/Monday/Tuesday shows with SOI. It also helped that he got a sponsorship with NetJet(?) -- a rental private plane company so that he and his partner Anna could fly directly between LA and wherever SOI was performing.

vCash
    I can see why they might enjoy doing it, but personally, I hope they won't. I'm so over DWTS. But that's just me.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minignome View Post
    Recall from Evan's time -- rehearsals on Sundays, taping on Mondays (the dance) and Tuesdays (the Results). DWTS did away with a separate results show last season except for the finale, so if they do it that way again, there would only be one Tuesday commitment. Evan worked it so that he did not appear in any Sunday/Monday/Tuesday shows with SOI. It also helped that he got a sponsorship with NetJet(?) -- a rental private plane company so that he and his partner Anna could fly directly between LA and wherever SOI was performing.
    Doing both sounds like torture. The SOI schedule is almost 2 months long. They could add more shows if they see an uptick in interest.
    http://www.starsonice.com/get-tickets.html?pg=1

vCash
    I'm afraid Meryl and Charlie would get a lot of backlash from DWTS fans if they did appear, Evan and Kristi were called ringers, can you imagine what would happen if they signed up two ice dancers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Between the two, I think Alex has the skills and performing talent to go farther with a new partner. Still, it might make sense for them to just do the college thing and move on from spending so many hours on skating.

Personally, I don't look forward to the idea of D/W on Dancing with the Stars. As mentioned, they have already done a lot of ballroom training, so it might not seem quite fair. Also, I'm not sure folks would want to see them dancing separately with other partners. Maybe they could off-set both those things by having them dance together instead of with pro partners. (Still, I really would not want to see Charlie in some of the get-ups they put the men in sometimes.)
    Last edited by Susan M; 02-20-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast