Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    [Bates'] friendship with Charlie and joy at their success scored big brownie points with me.
    You guys haven't been paying attention. Bates has been posting funny tweets all the way back to when he and Charlie shared a house at UM. I don't know where anyone ever got the impression of him as robotic. I guess because he tends to look serious when he is skating.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    If D/W go to Worlds and win, their competitive record will on paper be better than V/M's:

V/M: 1 Olympic gold, 2 World titles
    D/W: 1 Olympic gold, 3 World titles, 5 Grand Prix Final titles

How could they turn that down?

I also want D/W to have a proper audience for their presumably last competition, one that appreciates them. I refuse to think D/W's last competitive performance would be to the Sochi audience who didn't bother to stand.

vCash
    That's true, Japan has always been so receptive to Meryl and Charlie. Actually, the Japanese crowds are pretty great to all of the skaters. I wish the Olympics had been in Japan, that would have been magical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    Whitneyskates, I can't see them! The last one that's visible is Evan Lysacek.
    I had to make my screen a bit smaller to see M/C.

Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    If D/W go to Worlds and win, their competitive record will on paper be better than V/M's:

I also want D/W to have a proper audience for their presumably last competition, one that appreciates them. I refuse to think D/W's last competitive performance would be to the Sochi audience who didn't even stand.
    Agreed. I also would like to see Schez. performed with the total abandon we're used to seeing. (I'm not knocking the Olympics performance by any means. )

vCash
    I refuse to think D/W's last competitive performance would be to the Sochi audience who didn't bother to stand.
    D/W don't care about the Sochi audience. All they care about is us watching back home. If I were their adviser, I would tell them to get out now. They would probably beat V/M at the Worlds, but its not worth the risk. I guarantee you that V/M are just chomping at the bit to turn things around.

vCash
    Just 3 World titles for a US team is enough reason over DWTS and competing in Japan of course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    I'm not a big Chock and Bates fan but Evan has gone up in my estimation at the Olympics and only partly because of his performances. His friendship with Charlie and joy at their success scored big brownie points with me. I am telling myself to be less snarky in the future when watching C/B
    I still wish he was skating with Emily, though.
    Bringing bitchy back like Anabelle Langlois

vCash
    Evan has really shined for me since he partnered with Chock. Even in their first interview together, you could just tell their personalities complimented each other. He never really seemed like a performer, even though he was funny off the ice, until he started skating with her.

As for DWTS, who cares about the whiners. Absolutely nothing about that show is fair...which is why the only thing on the line is a tacky trophy. How is an Olympic athlete, from any sport, on the same level physically to dance every day for 6-8 hours a day as some of the older competitors? How is a young extroverted musician, with natural dance rhythm, on the same level as some of the competitors with health issues? How are people with dance training, like Jennifer G, Sabrina, Kelly P, and that one girl from the Disney channel fair? It's not, but it's a fun competition and you need good dancers to make the show interesting. Comedians are great, but you wouldn't want to see hours of fail. I think some people need to take life less seriously.

I don't care about them having more titles than V/M.They're both incredibly decorated at this point, plus or minus one won't make a difference. I also think without V/M being there it will ring a bit hollow. I think it's a hard choice because it's in Japan and Japan has been better to them than their own country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I don't care about them having more titles than V/M.They're both incredibly decorated at this point, plus or minus one won't make a difference. I also think without V/M being there it will ring a bit hollow. I think it's a hard choice because it's in Japan and Japan has been better to them than their own country.
    I agree as well. Also, both teams will be remembered equally because of the incredible rivalry they shared. I think for some to say one will be remembered more than the other is wishful thinking. Most won't be able to bring up one team without remembering the other. They're forever linked into the annals of history......

And Youtube
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeine View Post
    I agree as well. Also, both teams will be remembered equally because of the incredible rivalry they shared. I think for some to say one will be remembered more than the other is wishful thinking. Most won't be able to bring up one team without remembering the other. They're forever linked into the annals of history......

And Youtube
    That's true: you really can't bring up one without the other. They're both excellent teams in their own right, but it's the rivalry that's really pushed the sport forward. I have to say, ice dancing won't be nearly as exciting without these two teams. I can't think of any other big rivalries in the discipline. Maybe Marina can stir something up...

vCash
    Buzzfeed counts down the 27 things you're really thinking while watching figure skating, Meryl and Charlie make an appearance
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/thing...figure-skating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    Buzzfeed counts down the 27 things you're really thinking while watching figure skating, Meryl and Charlie make an appearance

LOL at number 24 (OH HELL NO).

vCash
    I am so enjoying this moment in the sun for U. S. ice dance and for Meryl and Charlie! After so many years together and being so good for so long, it's exciting. I'm impressed that NBC really has given them plenty of coverage as America's ice darlings of these games. I was worried we would see minimal coverage along with bemoaning the lack of singles medalists.

vCash
    Thanks...I laughed so hard, especially at the pairs twists.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icefan13 View Post
    I am so enjoying this moment in the sun for U. S. ice dance and for Meryl and Charlie! After so many years together and being so good for so long, it's exciting. I'm impressed that NBC really has given them plenty of coverage as America's ice darlings of these games. I was worried we would see minimal coverage along with bemoaning the lack of singles medalists.
    Yes, finally, well deserved coverage of an amazing team!

vCash
    Hey, maybe that was the plan all along, get everyone riled up about dance and no one will notice what goes down in the ladies event
    Sadly, that may be true. The 3 results supposed to be 'fixed' were the 3 results least needing fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    All things considered, the response of the crowd to Meryl and Charlie wasn't that bad. It was so much worse during Mao's SP, I can't even start to describe it. The biggest problem with the audience is that most real figure skating fans couldn't afford it financially make it to Sochi. Things would be completely different in Moscow or St.Petersburg.
    Here we had a bunch of hockey fans who were coming to look at the pretty girls and locals who wanted to watch Olympic event and have never seen figure skating before. They were unreally loud during Russian skaters and did more damage than help for them. It was terrible during Julia's skate today, I feel sorry for her. She really couldn't handle such pressure.
    It was really the worst figure skating audience ever. I feel sick and ashamed.
    Don't be ashamed. You can't take responsibility for the actions of people over whom you have no control.

I also want D/W to have a proper audience for their presumably last competition, one that appreciates them. I refuse to think D/W's last competitive performance would be to the Sochi audience who didn't bother to stand.
    Yes, I want to see their performances received enthusiastically! And Japan has always loved them

vCash
    I'd prefer one last World title won in Japan over a DWTS appearance, but whatever makes them happy makes me happy. The article that mentions them staying Sochi to train makes me hopeful for a Worlds appearance.
    Bringing bitchy back like Anabelle Langlois

vCash
    Those are great. #21 is my favorite.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    I'd prefer one last World title won in Japan over a DWTS appearance, but whatever makes them happy makes me happy. The article that mentions them staying Sochi to train makes me hopeful for a Worlds appearance.
    Same here. I really don't care about whether they go on DWTS or anything else, for that matter. I'd love to see them compete one more time to close the season, and hopefully be more well-received, no matter what VM decide to do. If both teams compete, and DW finish second, it won't diminish their Olympic gold, or any of their other accomplishments. If DW complete in Japan and win without VM there, that's IMO no less of an accomplishment than the titles they won when VM were absent or at less than their best due to injury. A win is still a win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura4 View Post
    LOL at number 24 (OH HELL NO).
    Same here. They all made me laugh, but that one made me laugh the hardest.

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast