Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I agree. I was worried for them in 2010...they were playing poorly then too.. maybe they're slow starters.

vCash
    They were playing poorly in 2002 too.

Of the two big matches tomorrow, I would prefer Brad Jacob et al win, although I do find David Murdoch really dreamy. If Team Canada loses in Men's Hockey tomorrow, so be it.

In terms of Sweden/Finland, I think Finland has it.

vCash
    This is sort of off topic but Bev Smith just released this: http://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/...tate-of-sochi/ I think in companion to her original entry "Something's Rotten in the state of Sochi"

Excerpt:
    That woman was Alla Shekhovtseva, who happened to be the Russian judge on the panel that had just finished judging her. Not only that, Skekhovtseva is the wife of Russian federation director-general Valentin Piseev. For as long as Piseev has been in power with the Russian federation, Shekhovtseva has drawn the plum judging assignments, although critics suggest it’s a conflict of interest for her to be on a judging panel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    This is sort of off topic but Bev Smith just released this: http://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/...tate-of-sochi/ I think in companion to her original entry "Something's Rotten in the state of Sochi"
    Actually, I think you're the only one ON topic

As for the hockey though, definitely will be great games for both semis with two intense rivalries. I'd put Sweden over Finland on paper, but then again, Russia would've won on paper, too. I'm more glad the women won (in a great game!), I tend to enjoy the women's tournament more in the Olympics anyways. But maybe that's partly because there isn't the perpetual fear that they'll lose in the quarters or semis and come away with nothing.

ETA: A couple more GIFs from the hockey game, featuring a very exuberant Scott. And you can see Tessa this time!
    https://24.media.tumblr.com/f807ad9c...t3k3o1_400.gif
    https://31.media.tumblr.com/32fd3a3c...3o2_r1_400.gif
    Last edited by kirbs; 02-21-2014 at 12:22 AM.

vCash

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazy View Post
    What's up with that? They went out of their way to justify the results in both SD and FD, and I thought they simply didn't want to rock the boat. But no, results can be questioned.
    Don't you know, we're all supposed to stop fighting and just be thankful there have been two North American teams at the top for so many years...

I have never seen a team so unsupported by their skating media than V/M, it's amazing. I know D/W are exciting to watch and have a style that appeals to North American viewers but when you get way more support from the Russian broadcast team than your own, that's just weird.
    Then again, Carol's team has a lot of the same weaknesses as D/W and Kurt knows nothing about ice dance. D/W's gold was also expected while Sotnikova's goes against the established PCS scores she was supposed to get. It's like people have gotten so used to D/W pulling in huge scores that they can't even be questioned anymore, not even when V/M skate by far the best they have ever skated (we all know scores are comparative, even if they're not meant to be).
    Yes to all of this. Kurt may know nothing about ice dance, but he knows about good blades, about footwork, rhythm... it's amazing how all of these commentators forget all about those qualities when it comes to discussing ice dance.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbs View Post
    Actually, I think you're the only one ON topic
    May I remind all of you that your thread is about Virtue and Moir and NOT the Olympics in general? I don't want to move this thread to the Oly forum, but.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    All these pictures are wonderful. Scott and Patrick look like trouble with a capital T when they're together - no wonder Tessa sat in the row behind them with Alex Paul I wonder if Megan and Eric are at the ladies competition? Tessa has become quite a star with Canadians I think - even curler Jennifer Jones remarked about how great it was to be at the Olympics with athletes like Tessa Virtue. I'm really impressed with how Tessa and Scott have conducted themselves in interviews. If the media want to take their remarks and run with them, there's not much they can do about it. Instead of belittling VM, the American media should be trying to get to the bottom of the judging allegations since it implicates the USFSA - why hasn't the French magazine writer been tackled about the story's sources?

It's amazing how VM, Kim, and Chan are a cut above everyone else - even if they don't win. I thought Yuna should have won, with Carolina second and Adelina third. It seems jumps are trumping everything else now. But, these games seem to be about making Russia feel good.

vCash

vCash
    it's interesting that korean fans are more pro v/m, while japanese fans are more pro d/w.

love this equation upthread: T/D + GORDEEVA/GRINKOV = VIRTUE/MOIR

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
    it's interesting that korean fans are more pro v/m, while japanese fans are more pro d/w.

only to the stupid.

Torvill & Dean and Gordeeva & Grinkov are the Goddesses and Gods of Ice Dance and Pairs. Virtue & Moir no matter how great are merely mortals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    only to the stupid.

Torvill & Dean and Gordeeva & Grinkov are the Goddesses and Gods of Ice Dance and Pairs. Virtue & Moir no matter how great are merely mortals.
    In your humble opinion?

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    only to the stupid.

Or the young. I'm old enough to remember T&D & G&G but my nieces aren't and think they skate "old fashioned" whenever I make them watch programs on youtube. I'm not saying I agree but to a later generation, V&M can be their T&D.

vCash

I know some Japanese fans who have their own little fangroup for Tessa and Scott! I think the Japanese just love Figure Skating no matter who is skating.

vCash
    only to the stupid.

I think people compare them to TD and GG is because of their skating style. I hear like GG, Tessa and Scott have kisses in their performace. We don't know however if Marina deliberately choreographed those kisses or they were spontaneous. Im going with the former. We also know Zoueva keeps on showing Moir videos of Grinkov.

vCash
    only to the stupid.

then equating d/w to t/d by some d/w ubers is more stupid
    Last edited by zilam98; 02-21-2014 at 02:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    Interesting that Jian Ghomeshi with them. Just listened to interview with him. So unbelievably touching for Scott to tell Tessa that no matter what they did she should remember he loves her. Way to go Scott!
    http://cityofherondxles.tumblr.com/p...-to-each-other
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    then equating d/w to t/d by some d/w ubers is more stupid
    Yes. V/M have TD ethereal classic style and they also have GG romantic style. It is a mixture. I think the next thread title should be "No matter what, I love you."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    Yes. V/M have TD ethereal classic style and they also have GG romantic style. It is a mixture. I think the next thread title should be "No matter what, I love you."
    I saw T&D skate live, and watched many competitions, and "ethereal" is not a descriptor I'd ever have used.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    In your humble opinion?
    No humility there more like overinflated opinion!

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast