View Poll Results: Does Yuna's lack of 2nd OGM take her out of contention for GOAT?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 15.89%
  • No

90 84.11%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Does Yuna's lack of 2nd OGM take her out of contention for GOAT?

Yes or No?

vCash
    No, how could it when it is was a bogus and corrupt result to begin with. If anything the result should show medals and titles are the last things that determine who is the best ever anyway. Many consider Ito and Lynn the two best ever, and they have 1 world title between them. Titles and medals in this sport are determined by corruption, politics, and luck, not by ability. Sotnikova's farce Olympic Gold over three way better performances is one of the biggest proofs of that.

vCash
    What in the world is the GOAT?

vCash
    We will never come to a consensus on who is the GOAT anyway. Although I'm sure in South Korea there is no question

But to be fair, Kim should have won fair and square.........

vCash
    If "GOAT" is based on titles, then no. There are others with better records.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Even with two OGM, she would be a little short on world, continental, and probably even national titles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    if best ever was based on titles then the best ever list would be:

1. Sonja Henie
    2. Katarina Witt
    3. Herma Planck Szabo
    4. Sjouke Dijkstra
    5. Carol Heiss

So best ever has obviously never been based upon medal and title count to begin with. I wonder how many people have more than maybe 1 of those in their top 5, maybe 3%? I dont even think Yu Na Kim is the best ever either, but it has nothing to do with whether the judges had given her a 2nd OGM or not. Most people who thought of her as the best ever would still do so whether she won here or not, and those who dont like me wouldnt change if she had won either. Almost no opinions would change based on this result, especialy such a preposterous and controversy filled one to begin with which only goes to emphasize even more exactly why medals and titles never determine most peoples choices as who is best.

vCash
    Olympic gold doesn't define a career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosiekins View Post
    What in the world is the GOAT?
    Greatest of all time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    YuNa has a unique record in Ladies field, that she has never been off-podium in her entire career. I read that Dick Button has the same record in men's field.

vCash
    The whole concept of greatest of all time across more than 100 years of skating is totally bogus to begin with. Why are people always wanting validation for one skater or another by trying to lay claim to this entirely incalculable and worthless title?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    The whole concept of greatest of all time across more than 100 years of skating is totally bogus to begin with. Why are people always wanting validation for one skater or another by trying to lay claim to this entirely incalculable and worthless title?
    ITA! It is even worse in tennis with Federer, Nadal, and Serena fans obsessed over their crowning as the so called GOAT.

vCash
    There's no such thing as GOAT. This obsession with it simplifies the sport, IMO, and totally demeans the achievements of past skaters who aren't as known by contemporary fans or by fans who refuse to acknowledge the context of every skater and his/her abilities. Often times, the best skaters benefitted from the advancements made by the previous generation not to mention benefitting from luck/timing with decisions and rule changes made by the ISU.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 02-26-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    Sotnikova's farce Olympic Gold over three way better performances is one of the biggest proofs of that.
    Hold on, who was the third one that gave the better two skates?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SochiDid View Post
    Hold on, who was the third one that gave the better two skates?
    I'm guessing the OP is talking about Mao, Yuna, and Carolina? (Freeskate). And that she shouldn't have won gold (I'd assuming Adelina still would have gotten bronze ahead of Mao due to Mao's poor short program)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    I'm guessing the OP is talking about Mao, Yuna, and Carolina? (Freeskate). And that she shouldn't have won gold (I'd assuming Adelina still would have gotten bronze ahead of Mao due to Mao's poor short program)
    Yes that is what I was thinking although I would have had Mao's 1st place freeskate atleast 15 points higher than Sotnikova's 4th place one, and considering Sotnikova should have had a score below 70 in the short, it is quite possible even Mao would have beaten her with fair judging. Kim and Kostner would both for sure, and by an enormous margin.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Mao bombed the shit out of her SP.

vCash
    Mao had a great skate in the free, but she bombed the short. If only one of the other vets or Adelina stumbled, she would have made the podium, except the cheaters conspired to place Julia's horrible performances ahead of her.

Everyone knows the real order should have been:

1. Yuna Kim (Gold)
    2. Carolina Kostner (Silver)
    3. Adelina Sotnikova (Bronze)
    4. Mao Asada
    Last edited by ToFarAwayTimes; 02-26-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ToFarAwayTimes View Post
    Mao had a great skate in the free, but she bombed the short. If only one of the vets stumbled, she would have made the podium, except the cheaters conspired to place Julia's horrible performances ahead of her.

Everyone knows the real order should have been:

1. Yuna Kim (Gold)
    2. Carolina Kostner (Silver)
    3. Adelina Sotnikova (Bronze)
    4. Mao Asada
    You're right, seniority rules!

vCash
    For me, she is already one of the greatest of all time. It can't be based only on titles. She is, IMHO, already a better skater than Katarina Witt.
    Anyway, is it really important ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast