Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    She better continue, she has a lot of ability to grow. I would like to see that. She has a lot of talent. She can make her mark as an individual and even if she doesn't perform as well again she can get herself memorable. Perhaps she should skip worlds though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Adelina probably doesn't know there is a controversy over her win. She's in a bubble right now at the Olympics being surrounded by screaming Russians telling her how wonderful she is.
    Yes,but that's not her problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    So you know, PUTIN IS VERY HAPPY and my guess is that Adelina is looking at a win-win situation for herself and her family.
    In Russia she is the "Golden Girl" and Russia is a big place.
    I hope you're right. I'm too jaded. USFS has a habit of not treating it's winners like "golden girls" as does Russia IMO (Maria won 99 worlds, Russia's first win, yet the 00 season seemed to begin with an definite preference for Irina) and already Adelina has spoken about feeling slighted by a preference for Julia. This was a big win and I hope she can ride the wave and not become the next Poetzch.

vCash
    I loved this line from a Slate article:

Kim had an excess of poise and maturity, and Sotnikova had an excess of energy. Kim left the ice looking like she’d completed an assignment and Sotnikova left as if the bodies of her competitors were strewn all over it, a tableau of bloodstained tulle and broken feathers.
    Adelina was on fire in the short and long! It was such an exciting ladies final and I'm kind of sad people can't relax a bit about the results and recognize what Adelina accomplished at these Games. As for those saying she was helped along by the Russian audience, well, it didn't really seem to help Lipnitskaya. A home crowd is its own kind of pressure and she stood up to it. All three medalists were incredible and I hope people can take a step back and remember this as the great Olympic final that it was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I loved this line from a Slate article:

Adelina was on fire in the short and long! It was such an exciting ladies final and I'm kind of sad people can't relax a bit about the results and recognize what Adelina accomplished at these Games. As for those saying she was helped along by the Russian audience, well, it didn't really seem to help Lipnitskaya. A home crowd is its own kind of pressure and she stood up to it. All three medalists were incredible and I hope people can take a step back and remember this as the great Olympic final that it was.

julia is my fave,but I recognize how difficult it was for somebody with nerve problems like adelina to skate like that under such pressure. kim never had to win an olympic medal in south korea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I thought she deserved the win. Yuna didn't seem to care, though she was lovely.
    Her *I already have a gold medal* remarks makes me wonder about Yuna's decision to compete here. I don't know if her fed asked her to compete or she was bored and decided to give the olys another try.

vCash
    It must be hard to motivate oneself after winning the OGM, no matter at what age. Adelina has a lot of room to improve artistically, so I hope she will stick around for at least 2 more years, may be longer.

vCash
    I hope Adelina stays and proves herself more. I remember being very impressed with her when she was dominating the junior field. I liked her Swan Lake program. I wish she could go back to more classical programs. She needs better packaging and choreography because she has some really good qualities. Her long program was really strange. I think they were going the avant-garde route, but it just appeared bizarre to me. Regardless, I find the outrage aimed at her personally to be over the top. She did really well and congrats to her.

vCash
    I know I'm very late. I've just been so busy. Congratulations to Adelina!!!! I've been in love with her since she skated TAT's programs in the junior field. Yes, she has things to work on from now but it is true she's a so much wonderful skater. I'm happy she finally delivered two clean programs in front of the people in her country. I'm proud of her. Please don't be bothered by the crappy media etc and lose motivation to progress as a matured skater. Adelina have to save me after Mao and Caro retire.

vCash
    I wish I could have seen Tatiana Tarasova's reaction to Adelina winning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I hope Adelina stays and proves herself more. I remember being very impressed with her when she was dominating the junior field. I liked her Swan Lake program. I wish she could go back to more classical programs. She needs better packaging and choreography because she has some really good qualities. Her long program was really strange. I think they were going the avant-garde route, but it just appeared bizarre to me. Regardless, I find the outrage aimed at her personally to be over the top. She did really well and congrats to her.

Some people are taking this result way too far attacking this poor girl just because she beat yuna,really shameful.

vCash
    Kim has +3 GOE for a botched 3 lutz from one of the judges

http://www.isuresults.com/results/ow..._FS_Scores.pdf

Anyway, I'm tired of all this nonsense. Adelina doesn't deserve this.

vCash
    I remember being very impressed with her when she was dominating the junior field. I liked her Swan Lake program. I wish she could go back to more classical programs. She needs better packaging and choreography because she has some really good qualities. Her long program was really strange. I think they were going the avant-garde route, but it just appeared bizarre to me.
    Funny, when I was re-watching it on the NBC tape delay Bezic said she had gone back to an old program from Juniors to help with the Oly nerves. Not that making shit up is beyond a possibility for Bezic, but not having followed her as a jr I assumed it was true, and thus explained all of the weird childish waving to the crowd etc... in the choreo. The music sounded to me like an Edvard Marton version of Rondo Capricioso. Was Bezic wrong?

vCash
    It's listed as her 2010-2011 long program music. Which would have been the year she was JR world champion?
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Funny, when I was re-watching it on the NBC tape delay Bezic said she had gone back to an old program from Juniors to help with the Oly nerves. Not that making shit up is beyond a possibility for Bezic, but not having followed her as a jr I assumed it was true, and thus explained all of the weird childish waving to the crowd etc... in the choreo. The music sounded to me like an Edvard Marton version of Rondo Capricioso. Was Bezic wrong?

vCash
    there are a few musicians in russia who seem to be really popular for doing techno versions of classical music I remember Irina Slutskaya skated to a remix of Totentanz lol

vCash
    Adelina's Instagram page has been filled with death threats and name calling. It's awful.

vCash
    The dress was rather ugly, but I don't see a problem with Adelina winning. It's not like the US hasn't had plenty of young girls with flutzes and inflated marks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    It's not like the US hasn't had plenty of young girls with flutzes and inflated marks.
    I'm not a Sotnikova uber, but I agree with this. If an American had beaten Kim in the same fashion, would you have seen the same outrage from Americans? Probably not. I don't have a problem with rational folks who say, "I disagree with the judging." However, I'm just tired of all the over-the-top dramatics from some fans, who seem to think that you automatically need your head examined if you think there might even be the slightest possibility that Sotnikova deserved to win. I mean, yes, while I do think there is often corrupt judging in skating, I also think some folks are waaaaay too quick to jump to conspiracy theories in order to make sense of the results. That kind of black-and-white thinking is just too easy.

Having said that, because both Sotnikova & Kim had their flaws, perhaps the ISU should've just awarded 2 silvers.

Anyway, it seems to me what so many sports fans are seriously lacking is objectivity. The more you care about a particular skater/result, the less likely you are to have it. And when fans do lack it, more often than not they do not even realize it. The question "Am I really seeing things objectively?" almost never seems to occur to them. Self-doubt may not always feel good, but it's essential to critical thinking.
    Last edited by neptune; 02-22-2014 at 03:00 AM.

vCash
    I think she deserved to win. It's a sport, she's athletic, and the program was enjoyable, though I don't know what was up with the proctologist gloves. She does a lot of things well and maxed out her points. Maybe she was a bit over scored, but it wasn't really blatant, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I think she deserved to win. It's a sport, she's athletic, and the program was enjoyable, though I don't know what was up with the proctologist gloves. She does a lot of things well and maxed out her points. Maybe she was a bit over scored, but it wasn't really blatant, IMO.
    It was winning sort of in the same tradition as Hughes, Lipinski, etc.: out-jumping the competition, and skating with a lot of energy and/or speed. I don't have a problem with that concept. Of course, who wins the OGM is about who's the best at that competition, not in general. The best overall skaters do not (and should not) always win. That's why you have to look at a skater's entire career in order to evaluate his or her standing appropriately. Winning an OGM doesn't automatically make you a great skater, and failing to win one doesn't automatically make you a less-than-great skater.

Anyway, even Elvis Stojko agreed with the decision.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast