vCash

Richard Ewell helped create African-American skating legacy

Starting a new thread with these 2 posts in the U.S. Pairs thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I saw this clip in a recent Skip thread of Richard Ewell and Michelle McCladdie winning a U.S. Junior pairs championship. I love the move near the end where McCladdie begins leaning backward while Ewell executes a double axel and then catches his partner's hand and they move seamlessly into a death spiral. A double axel death spiral, which I'd love to see some of today's pairs incorporate, as long as it would be allowed under today's rules, and garner sufficient points.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KRNVy7wfcgU

ETA: A couple of other elements I like are the swinging version of a death spiral (again I don't know if it would be allowed or provide enough points today), and the fast footwork into what looks like double flip or double toe loop jumps (which would have to be upgraded to triples today). In addition, the lovely simplicity of what looks like a lift in a pancake or tabletop position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Aftershocks, this is my first time ever hearing about this pair. What a find - they were fabulous. They really had the two-as-one "it" factor, and that program was absolutely packed with lifts and beautiful moves while totally making sense as a whole (despite the mishmash of music... at least it was all good). Wow. I didnt know they were black until I looked them up - what a road they must have traveled. To my eye, they looked like national senior champion material. They only seemed a bit weak in spins.

Has either of them been interviewed?
    "Recently, he and his former partner, Michelle McCladdie, took the time to be interviewed by pair skating legend, Tai Babilonia, for International Figure Skating Magazine."

Source is this article on Ewell that was published in September 2008: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Oh Sylvia, you are such a gem!
    (Are YOU the skating god?)

Now to find that IFS interview.... I hope they, I mean Tai, asked Mr Nicks to comment too.

ETA: I found this mention too.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/14/sp...er-legacy.html

vCash
    Nice program! That axel/death spiral was very good. Now I bet it would only be a waltz jump allowed because a team would not use a jumping pass in that way. Even if it was planned that she wouldn't jump it would be all negative goe right or because she never made any attempt it would be zero.

vCash
    Oh Sylvia, you are such a gem!
    (Are YOU the skating god?)

Now to find that IFS interview.... I hope they, I mean Tai, asked Mr Nicks to comment too.

ETA: I found this mention too.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/14/sp...er-legacy.html
    Thanks are also due to Rex, skatesindreams, and aliceanne for their comments and links posted in the Pro Mem'ries thread, started to discuss Atoy Wilson.

I also responded to some of your initial queries in the GSD U.S.pairs thread, Spun Silver. Thanks for your nytimes link.

ETA:
    Ah, caseyedwards, thanks for discussing the unusual axel/death spiral in terms of today's rules. I think it would be beautiful with a waltz jump, and the rules should even be modified to allow for unusual moves like this, particularly for the fp. The sport needs to be released from boring sameness!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-27-2014 at 11:41 PM.

vCash

vCash
    I remember the IFS interview with McCladdie/Ewell. Her memories were much less positive than his. He was dark-skinned with an Afro and she was light-skinned with long straight hair and there was a lot of concern that people would think they were an interracial team. McCladdie said club members accused her of passing for black so she could skate with Ewell. When they joined Ice Capades they were so concerned they made her cut her hair and wear a dark wig. They also wanted her to get a nose job to look more black. She only stayed with the show 2 years, Ewell stayed 8.

I think they may have even been denied entrance to USFSA nationals one year because USFSA thought they were an interracial team and feared backlash. My memory is not clear on whether the actually got to skate or not.

vCash
    ^^ Thanks aliceanne. Unfortunately, not surprising to learn about these WTF attitudes. And what was that about trying to pass for black!? Laughable, and not in a good way. Interestingly, multiracial teams are quite common over the last 20 years or so. And of course, we even have global pairings today which would also rarely have happened back then, and certainly would have been more than frowned upon.

Too sad that skaters with the talent and ability of McCladdie and Ewell were treated that way. They were more than good enough to compete at the senior level, but it's doubtful they had either the financial, never mind the political backing.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-28-2014 at 01:16 AM.

vCash
    If anyone knows how to access Tai Babilonia's interview with Ewell -McCladdie I certainly would love to see it. There is nothing about archives on the IFS magazine site.

Thanks for the info, aftershocks. You kept mentioning the thread in Skip and I had no idea what you were talking about. I think you meant the Trash Can. Pro skating does not usually grab my attention, and the name Atoy Wilson did not mean anything to me, so I missed that thread. But a fascinating and painful corner of skating history just came to life for me this afternoon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Nice program! That axel/death spiral was very good. Now I bet it would only be a waltz jump allowed because a team would not use a jumping pass in that way. Even if it was planned that she wouldn't jump it would be all negative goe right or because she never made any attempt it would be zero.
    What if it was at the end of the program, as in this case, after the side-by-side jump boxes were already filled?

Would the tech panel call it as 2A* or A*, asterisked/no value because it's an extra element, and maybe no rotation because she didn't jump at all?

vCash
    If anyone knows how to access Tai Babilonia's interview with Ewell -McCladdie I certainly would love to see it. There is nothing about archives on the IFS magazine site.

Thanks for the info, aftershocks. You kept mentioning the thread in Skip and I had no idea what you were talking about. I think you meant the Trash Can. Pro skating does not usually grab my attention, and the name Atoy Wilson did not mean anything to me, so I missed that thread. But a fascinating and painful corner of skating history just came to life for me this afternoon.
    Check Tai Babilonia's website or contact her directly. She could probably tell you how to get a copy. It was a number of years ago, so I don't still have the magazine itself.

vCash

Oh, yes, Spun Silver, sorry you didn't realize, Trash Can used to be called "The Skip," and it still is on the FSU main title page. I had originally missed the Pro Mem'rees thread, and I wasn't familiar with Atoy Wilson either, so I'm glad I came across that thread and as a result was also introduced to McCladdie/ Ewell.

vCash
    How about that. I see "The Skip" every day but it never registered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Thanks are also due to Rex, skatesindreams, and aliceanne for their comments and links posted in the Pro Mem'ries thread, started to discuss Atoy Wilson.

I also responded to some of your initial queries in the GSD U.S.pairs thread, Spun Silver. Thanks for your nytimes link.

ETA:
    Ah, caseyedwards, thanks for discussing the unusual axel/death spiral in terms of today's rules. I think it would be beautiful with a waltz jump, and the rules should even be modified to allow for unusual moves like this, particularly for the fp. The sport needs to be released from boring sameness!
    Thank you caseyedwards...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    AFAIK the waltz jump doesn't have any value in the IJS at the international level. So it could be done as a connecting move and thus not count as a "jumping pass" (which is not what the ISU calls it BTW).
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    ^^ I believe that is exactly what caseyedwards is saying. My understanding is that the "jumping pass" caseyedwards is referring to is the axel, which could not be counted if it isn't performed by both skaters. Whereas, the waltz jump today might be considered more of a connecting move and therefore could be performed by the male while the female begins gliding or leaning into a death spiral (without sacrificing any points that would be sacrificed if only one skater completes an axel/ jumping pass).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1mwdjrOcuA