Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Julia Soldatova looked like another great up-in-comer but after missing the World Team in 2000, she moved to Belarus and she seemed to struggle after that.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Julia Soldatova looked like another great up-in-comer but after missing the World Team in 2000, she moved to Belarus and she seemed to struggle after that.
    I loved her Umbrellas of Cherbourg free skate from Junior Worlds in 1998. Such an expressive skater, too.

vCash
    Mirai's a big one. She just went nowhere

vCash
    Soldatova had great promise. Her performance in 2001 Worlds was sad. No fire at all.

Viktoria Volchkova

vCash
    Krisztina Czako & Angela Nikodinov

vCash
    Had Adam retired now?

Also Rachel Flatt (just fizzled it seems) and Alissa Czisny (nerves and injuries). Tomas Verner, Jeremy Abbott
    I don't think so, but he came into seniors with two junior worlds wins, and then never really made it. At that point I had expected him to be within top 5 in world for several seasons.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    Alexander Abt - beautiful lines but a headcase

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruin4life View Post
    Alexander Abt - beautiful lines but a headcase
    He was just so unlucky too. Skating in the same era as Yagudin and Plushenko. Injuries. The one opportunity he had to win Euros, he was totally robbed.

vCash
    Had Adam retired now?

Also Rachel Flatt (just fizzled it seems) and Alissa Czisny (nerves and injuries). Tomas Verner, Jeremy Abbott
    I wouldn't put Rachael on this list. She overachieved if anything and went as far as she could with her talent. She was never going to be a World champion.

vCash
    This would be on the Junior level, but Michelle Cho was breathtaking, and easily outshone even Michelle Kwan way back when. I never heard the details of her home life, but know something serious went down with her mother and abuse. Heartbreaking.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmar View Post
    This would be on the Junior level, but Michelle Cho was breathtaking, and easily outshone even Michelle Kwan way back when. I never heard the details of her home life, but know something serious went down with her mother and abuse. Heartbreaking.
    I was fortunate enough to see Cho skate in Detroit at the 1994 US National Championships. She finished 6th with a compelling free skate.

Other skaters that I remember were Joanne Ng and Lisa Ervin.

vCash
    Jenni Vähämaa

vCash
    Josee Chouinard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canbelto View Post
    Nicole Bobek is probably the most heartbreaking.
    Along the same lines, Christopher Bowman.

There are too many examples, including many of the young Americans circa 2002: Kirk, McDonough, Liang, it's too bad none of them were able to climb to the World podium..

McLaughlin/Brubaker also come to mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    Chantal Lefebvre and Arseni Markov were an ice dance couple that I thought had been set up for ice dance dominance...but it just never seemed to work. I guess I didn't follow skating well enough to know why they never took off as a power couple. Wikipedia says that began careers in coaching and choreography after they retired as skaters. But I haven't heard a peep from either of them since then.
    I do know Markov teamed up with Svetlana Kulikova the following season, and they had quite a few kickass programs. Unfortunately they were buried behind L/A, N/K, R/B, and to some extent D/S..

vCash
    I wouldn't include skaters like Abt, Bobek or Nikodinov on this list. They had long careers of varying success.

Abt was good in a great field. And he really improved in his final years. As others have said Bobek had the talent, but not the discipline. 1995 Worlds and 1997/98 Nationals showed what she could do if well-trained. Like Abt, Nikodinov was good in a great field, she just didn't have a killer instinct. Of course, there are those tragedies in her life.

Ota had her shot, but let's face it, her technique wasn't sound and injuries played a big role. Zhang was successful early despite her wonky technique, and also managed some pretty decent results after she improved them.

I'd say skaters like Nam and Vahamaa are good picks. Also Deanna Stellato.

vCash
    I have a feeling Wagner is joining this list. Not sure if she will ever get any closer to a World medal as she got in 2012.

vCash
    I feel as though skaters like Rachel Flatt and Ashley Wagner surpassed what they were poised to, and don't belong on a list like this. Wagner especially did not have an exceedingly promising Junior career nor did she show above average talent. She has done very well for herself considering.

On the other hand, it seemed Wagner would achieve much more after her solid 2012 season, but that was a suuuuuper watered down season compared to what we've seen in 2013 and now 2014. The current ladies field has to be as good as ever.

vCash
    I think Wagner is much more talented than Flatt so there were more expectations once she did have her rise, she could win a World medal, unlike Flatt. It might not happen though.

vCash
    Wagner's career isn't over, so I don't think we can say she didn't breakthrough. She might. Joannie Rochette and Carolina had their best sucess in their mid 20s.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast