Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Overall, I loved the trio of Terry, Tara, & Johnny. For the dance competition, though, they should have had Tracy or Tanith & Ben with them (or instead of them). Kudos to NBC Sports Network for showing EVERY competitor (although I'm miffed that we didn't get to see the entire gala).

I know Johnny loves fashion, but couldn't he for once, wear a regular suit, like Terry? Minor quibble, I know!

Give me Terry Gannon anytime!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I know Johnny loves fashion, but couldn't he for once, wear a regular suit, like Terry? Minor quibble, I know!
    Letterman cracks me up whenever Richard Simmons shows up in his gym shorts, "How 'bout a nice pair of Dockers?"

vCash
    I still don't like Ganon because he always talks about things that are not related to what's happening on the ice. I liked Johnny & Tara's commentating far better than Scott & Sandra's or Dick & Peggy's, for their analytical quality (and interesting costumes- LOL), but for pairs and ice dance I wish they had one person that was an expert in those disciplines, particularly for ice dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I still don't like Ganon because he always talks about things that are not related to what's happening on the ice.
    Years of skating have jaded me. I'm interested in the gossip the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I liked Johnny & Tara's commentating far better than Scott & Sandra's or Dick & Peggy's, for their analytical quality (and interesting costumes- LOL), but for pairs and ice dance I wish they had one person that was an expert in those disciplines, particularly for ice dance.
    I'm not sure they need two freestyle experts. There's not enough for both of them to say. Maybe they could replace Johnny with an ice dancer. I heard Tanith doing some commentary during the Olympics, and she seemed pretty articulate.

vCash
    While I think overall, they are more informative than Scott/Sandra, I still don't think they are the best they can be, and I hope this is not what we settle for. I know very little about ice dance, and after watching/listening to them, I still know very little. While they gave some lip service to the points system, I still don't feel like there was enough critical analysis -- and I think that's what folks need to understand the judging system. For example, during Ashley's free, it was obvious she was 2 footing landings, but they never said a word. During Mao's short program, they really didn't point out that she missed a major element of the program (the combo). So, the casual viewer is left perplexed as to why there scores are so much lower. And while I like Terry Gannon, I had to wonder if he's contractually obligated to point out every hour that Tara was the youngest Olympic champion, or if she is shooting him a look off camera to remind him.

I have hope that they can improve, but fear that if they are being told how great they are now, in a few years, we'll just have new drinking game rules: Instead of taking shots when Hamilton screams lutz, grunts "she worked for that landing", or says it's just "so hard to jump in the second half", it will be when Tara and/or Johnny reference their Olympic experience, Johnny says "your body just says 'no' " or either of them comment on the costume choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minignome View Post
    While I think overall, they are more informative than Scott/Sandra, I still don't think they are the best they can be, and I hope this is not what we settle for. I know very little about ice dance, and after watching/listening to them, I still know very little. While they gave some lip service to the points system, I still don't feel like there was enough critical analysis -- and I think that's what folks need to understand the judging system. For example, during Ashley's free, it was obvious she was 2 footing landings, but they never said a word. During Mao's short program, they really didn't point out that she missed a major element of the program (the combo). So, the casual viewer is left perplexed as to why there scores are so much lower. And while I like Terry Gannon, I had to wonder if he's contractually obligated to point out every hour that Tara was the youngest Olympic champion, or if she is shooting him a look off camera to remind him.

I have hope that they can improve, but fear that if they are being told how great they are now, in a few years, we'll just have new drinking game rules: Instead of taking shots when Hamilton screams lutz, grunts "she worked for that landing", or says it's just "so hard to jump in the second half", it will be when Tara and/or Johnny reference their Olympic experience, Johnny says "your body just says 'no' " or either of them comment on the costume choice.
    True, they did fail to mention some issues, but then again their Twitter feed (the critics) was people saying Johnny and Tara were "so negative, pointing out all the bad and none of the good." So maybe they were trying to strike a compromise. It seems some people thought they didn't point out enough errors and others thought they were "too catty and negative." Also, some people told them to "be quiet," while others say they didn't say enough. I find it interesting what they DID point out, though. When Ashley finished her free skate, one of them said, "That was not the skate she was hoping for." Then Ashley smiled and seemed happy, and one of them said, "Or maybe it was." But when the score placed her in 7th, it was clear that Johnny and/or Tara had seen errors that even Ashley didn't seem to detect (and Ashley has since complained about her score). Same with Yuna. They pointed out that her jumps were low and other problems. Johnny also expressed surprise at Adelina's high score (though he agreed she deserved gold). What they did point out seemed often to help explain the scores or help us understand why there was a dispute.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minignome View Post
    .........For example, during Ashley's free, it was obvious she was 2 footing landings, but they never said a word..........
    Maybe Tara was told not to be too tough on American skaters, for the benefit of the TV viewers? I agree that the average home viewer wouldn't necessarily know that 2 footing essentially negates a jump. They most likely can't distinguish between a double and a triple jump either.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I think some of these issues can be worked out during the next 4 years by having them call all the GP events and get more practice. It will come with more experience. Maybe they won't be there for 2018 prime time (maybe NBC will give the Screechy Twins a swan song), but I bet by 2022 they will be.

Clueless American
    vCash
    My aunt (who's in her 80's) really liked them... she was surprised that she did. She thought they were knowledgeable and humorous... she got a kick out of their matching outfits and she said she didn't even watch the NBC primetime coverage.

I enjoyed them myself as well. Yes sometimes they can get annoying, but what announcing team doesn't, especially over two weeks of so much skating. For the most part I thought they were great.

vCash
    I have to admit that I too hated Tara for taking the OGM in 1998. However, I also have to admit that I'm over it (mostly) and have come to enjoy her commentary with Johnny Weir. Together, they make a good team. They bring a youunger fresher perspective and that plays off well juxtaposed against Terry Gannon's more overall sports announcer feel. Btw, after all these years, I wonder if he can tell the difference between the different jumps. Would love to see a segment with Johnny and Tara taking Terry out on the ice

ps--did anyone else notice Terry throwing Johnny some shade when they first started working together? seems to have diminished..

vCash
    It was quite telling that Tara-Johnny-Terry got to call the final Gala of Champions, shown on prime time. That usually goes to Scott-Sandra-Tom. Scott & Sandra never got to say good-bye to the audience at the end of the Olympics, as they usually did in the past.

I hope that this means that Tara-Johnny-Terry (with assist from wonderful Tracy Wilson & Andrea Joyce) will be our commentators for Worlds in Japan, next month. PLEASE, NBC or NBCSN, send the Dream Team to Tokyo-Saitama. Johnny wouldn't mind the shopping possibilities!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Get ready to see more Tara and Johnny everywhere. MSNBC just reported Tara and Johnny were the most searched names on yahoo during the Olympics - more than any of the athletes.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I think some of these issues can be worked out during the next 4 years by having them call all the GP events and get more practice. It will come with more experience. Maybe they won't be there for 2018 prime time (maybe NBC will give the Screechy Twins a swan song), but I bet by 2022 they will be.
    They did call all the GP events this season (on tape delay, from the U.S.) on NBC on weekend daytime. NBC seemed to be experimenting a bit. First they had Tara calling the ladies and Johnny the men (they don't show pairs or dance in the GP). Then they put them together, and suddenly Johnny and Tara seemed to hit it off. They sent out a few Instragrams during that time... one in particular where they discovered they had brought with them matching Celine bags was fun. Terry Gannon was there for most of the GP but Tom Hammond did one or two. It was better with Terry. Then they switched to Scott and Sandra for Nationals, but I believe they had Johnny and Tara do the gala for Nationals. Anyone remember how NBC had them together (with Carruthers) to comment on Worlds 2010?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQUG8OkWqA

vCash
    http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/...hollywood.html

JOHNNY WEIR AND TARA LIPINSKI ARE MOVING TO ACCESS HOLLYWOOD
    Written by Jonathan Biles on 24 February 2014.

Excerpt:

Not wanting to wait four years to see them again either, NBC has offered the pair a job as fashion analysts for Access Hollywood. They will head to Los Angeles to critique the fashion at the Academy Awards, hopefully staying objective enough to call out red carpet celebrities for inadequate twizzles.

vCash
    Could they draw more viewers to the sport? A non-figure skating fan writes about them here:

http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2014/0...-2014.html?m=1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    Could they draw more viewers to the sport? A non-figure skating fan writes about them here:

http://stholeary.blogspot.com/2014/0...-2014.html?m=1
    If NBC doesn't overdo it with them, I think they have great potential to draw more viewers. The buzz surrounding Johnny and Tara is the best publicity figure skating has had in the U.S. in almost a decade.

vCash
    Was Kwan even in Sochi? I kept flipping channels to FoxSports1 regularly during the Olympics to see if there were any Sochi-related shows & saw nothing.

Tara comes up the winner once again - this time the winner of the commentators/analysts.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    Anyone remember how NBC had them together (with Carruthers) to comment on Worlds 2010?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQUG8OkWqA
    Yes. I think that was the event where "starfish hands" came from.

vCash
    The New York Times has an article about the ratings success of the NBC Olympics broadcasts.

The article ends with a discussion of the future of Lipinski/Weir:

For the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, one of NBC’s priorities is to retain the services of the two announcing stars to have emerged from Sochi: the figure skating analysts Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski. They talked for hours, delightfully and insightfully, on NBCSN. But they are not under contract. Whether they shift to prime time or continue their role on NBCSN remains to be decided. But when analysts emerge as Weir and Lipinski did, you don’t want other media companies, which are always looking for new talent, to grab them.

“We’re in discussions,” Lazarus said. “We have some figure skating next month. They’re doing some work for ‘Access Hollywood,’ and they’re a nice fit for various elements of NBC Universal.”

vCash
    Tara and Johnny will be on Access Hollywood and Chelsea Lately tonight (2/26).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast