Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    More praise, plus strong opinions about lost artistry in skating:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/19/ar...form.html?_r=0

vCash
    I'm a huge fan of both Tara and Johnny and both of them skating and I think they are fantastic commentators, but does anyone else think they are getting a little over the top and annoying? Anyone seen their instagram videos @taraandjohnny? They are getting a little over the top and annoying in my opinion and I see why Tara never made it in acting. Sorry I love Tara, but these two together are a bit over the top. The commentating is fabulous, but the videos and antics are a bit annoying!

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    They are doing the exhibition tomorrow so I suppose it is a promotion to go to prime time...

vCash
    Tara and Johnny are like houseguests that have over stayed their welcome. At first I enjoyed them but with each passing day they became more annoying. I am so glad the Olympics are almost over and I won't have to see or hear them for what I hope is a very long time.

vCash
    I absolutely love Tara Lipinski. I feel so guilty because I don't think I have ever hated an athlete in any sport as much as I hated her. (Kwan) However I find her personality to be absolutely delightful and I would very much love to be her BFF. I think her and Johnny do an absolutely marvelous job together and I think this sport is a lot more fun to watch with the two of them together.

I also find Tara's commentary is making me take her skating career more seriously, she really does have an incredible amount of insight on the sport in so many ways and I love how good a sport she is when people call her out on the "I love me" stuff, she's so much fun! I love her bad taste in fashion, I love her Grace Adler way of things, I love that she played an alien in an Are You Afraid of the Dark episode way back when, I feel so good to really like Tara Lipinski it feels like being baptised and rid of all of the evil inside.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 02-22-2014 at 11:01 AM.

vCash
    not skating related but Johnny and Tara were asked to cover the Oscars for Access Hollywood - fashion critiquing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    I absolutely love Tara Lipinski. I feel so guilty because I don't think I have ever hated an athlete in any sport as much as I hated her. (Kwan) However I find her personality to be absolutely delightful and I would very much love to be her BFF. I think her and Johnny do an absolutely marvelous job together and I think this sport is a lot more fun to watch with the two of them together.

I also find Tara's commentary is making me take her skating career more seriously, she really does have an incredible amount of insight on the sport in so many ways and I love how good a sport she is when people call her out on the "I love me" stuff, she's so much fun! I love her bad taste in fashion, I love her Grace Adler way of things, I love that she played an alien in an Are You Afraid of the Dark episode way back when, I feel so good to really like Tara Lipinski it feels like being baptised and rid of all of the evil inside.
    I've always known Tara was a great athlete, but I've gained a lot of respect for her smarts over the past two weeks.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    Tara and Johnny are like houseguests that have over stayed their welcome. At first I enjoyed them but with each passing day they became more annoying. I am so glad the Olympics are almost over and I won't have to see or hear them for what I hope is a very long time.
    I think after doing 30 or so hours of live commentary that can easily happen. I found them very good for the most part, but didn't always agree with the commentary... which I think should be natural. And besides their NBCSN gig they were also doing extra stuff for NBC some evenings, the Today Show etc. I know I'd be running ragged and a lot more crabby in my commentary if I was doing the job.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    This must have been an exhausting gig. Johnny tweeted that they had commented on 240-odd programs. Some people may have Johnny/Tara fatigue, but NBC saw that they were a hit and ran with it, putting them on with Bob Costas, Access Hollywood, Today, etc. NBC probably overdid it a little, but I mean, look at the alternative. I saw Costas interviewing Nancy Kerrigan for her thoughts and she was just not very articulate on camera. Overall, I think Johnny and Tara did a fantastic job and pulled a lot of viewers into the sport. Tonight they're commentating gala in prime time. I wish they had commented on it live, too, because you know NBC will cut the gala way down for prime time.

vCash
    I believe that Terry Gannon was also anchoring some of the speed skating coverage. At least that sounded like Terry along side Ohno calling the short-track last night. I was thinking - wow, they didn't even give him a night off after soooo much FS coverage!
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I believe that Terry Gannon was also anchoring some of the speed skating coverage. At least that sounded like Terry along side Ohno calling the short-track last night.
    I noticed that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I believe that Terry Gannon was also anchoring some of the speed skating coverage. At least that sounded like Terry along side Ohno calling the short-track last night. I was thinking - wow, they didn't even give him a night off after soooo much FS coverage!
    Yes, I turned on speed skating and thought, "This voice is familiar."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post

I have always loved Tara Lipinski. It's nice to know that maybe a few people are warming up to her who used to dislike her so much. I was one of the few defending her way back on the early figure skating boards in 1998 when she won. I just loved her infectious joy, love of skating and confidence as a skater. Even when she was 15 she was smart and articulate. Its nice that as a commentator now in her early 30's, some people can see the Tara I have always seen. I never understood why people had to hate Tara to love Michelle. I loved them both. Now in retrospective, since US ladies medals are no longer a dime a dozen, I'm even more grateful for Tara's win. I thought she was the best commentator here along with Terry Gannon. What a pro she is already. Go Tara! (Now if she would only reveal what truly went on with Stars on Ice )

vCash
    Besides doing a good commentary I thought they were absolutely cute together and their chaperone was delightful as well.

It was a blessed relief from Hamilton who is a politician with an obvious agenda.

vCash
    Although I have Liked Tara's commentary very much in the past, I did not like her much here. And I thought Johnny was extremely negative and mean-spirited. He called the man of one ice dance team "oafish," and said that another team was moving slower than the curling he had watched earlier. I like constructive criticism, for example, saying that a pair is not skating as close together as other couples, or does not have as much speed, etc. But Johnny's criticism was down-right mean at times. I found him very unprofessional.

The thing that bothered me about both Tara and Johnny was that they often slipped out of commenting about what the skaters were doing, and started making assumptions about what the skaters were thinking. This one was giving into nerves, that one was being too shy, another one was disinterested in their program, this one probably was nervous about skating last, etc. It got very annoying.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDreams18 View Post
    The commentating is fabulous, but the videos and antics are a bit annoying!
    But no one is making you watch those. If they annoy you, why do you keep watching?
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemba View Post
    The thing that bothered me about both Tara and Johnny was that they often slipped out of commenting about what the skaters were doing, and started making assumptions about what the skaters were thinking. This one was giving into nerves, that one was being too shy, another one was disinterested in their program, this one probably was nervous about skating last, etc. It got very annoying.
    We already know what the skaters are doing. I'm interested in hearing the psychological perspective. T&J both skated. They're able to tell what's going on inside someone's head pretty accurately.

vCash
    NBC posted a Johnny/Tara "best of" compilation:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/fin...pinski-moments

vCash
    What a relief to be able to get pass Scott Hamilton's gosh-awful shrieking whenever someone hits that landing...completes that rotation...takes off on the proper edge...lands on the proper edge...smiles at the audience...feels that music...impresses those judges...etc., etc., etc. ad nauseum! Sheesh! Shut up...I wanna hear the MUSIC!!!

Go, Johnny, go...and Tara too (I'm a new fan, young lady)! BIG improvement!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    We already know what the skaters are doing. I'm interested in hearing the psychological perspective. T&J both skated. They're able to tell what's going on inside someone's head pretty accurately.
    I have to disagree on both points. Not all of us know what they're doing. For example, in the short dance, Tracy used to point out some main things that the judges are examining, because not all steps of the pattern are counted equally in the marks. Tara and Johnny didn't point out what was most important in the Finn Step (sp?).

Also, I wouldn't have minded Tara and Johnny talking about their own psychological perspectives when they competed, or talking about what Olympic pressure is like in general. But they were pretty much resorting to mind-reading: "Skater X is not interested," "Skater Y is feeling the pressure of waiting an hour since the warm-up," etc. They were presenting their guesses as facts. If someone is not skating with as much energy as usual, or slower than usual, these are helpful observations. What they did often strayed too far.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast