Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    I love that Tara & Johnny love Chock/Bates...and praise her as equally as him. Bravo!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Apologies if posted already somewhere. This is one of NBC's must see moments - Tara and Johnny's list of things they'd bring to a deserted island.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/joh...eserted-island
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    they are my fave commentators so funny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Apologies if posted already somewhere. This is one of NBC's must see moments - Tara and Johnny's list of things they'd bring to a deserted island.
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/joh...eserted-island
    "Chocolate and chablis. Okay, so we're good with food and water..."

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    talking with my coworkers today at lunch, who are casual fans, and they HATED Tara and Johnny. My youngest coworker (early 20s) hated them the most. Said they (esp Johnny) were nothing but negative - and then backtracked on what they'd said about a skater or team after the scores came out. I was surprised - but maybe they've just never paid any attention to Scott and Sandra and have no comparison point
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I do question Johnny going mainstream NBC because of his critical approach. I think part of Scott’s job, Dick’s job, etc. is to be a salesman for the event and the sport. And if the commentator is being mostly negative, I don’t think it is going to work for the larger audience. If the commentator doesn’t like what he is seeing, why should the audience (who doesn’t follow the sport all that closely)?
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Johnny won't like anyone who's not like him. Flamboyant and over the top.

vCash
    I didn't think they were anymore negative than Dick Button. When commentators are too positive, then the low scores make little sense to us viewers, and it's hard to understand what to appreciate when it IS good (pointed toes, good arm positions, etc). I think it's the commentators' job to point out what the skaters did wrong so we know where they're losing points. And they did say a lot of positive things too. A few days ago after the men's event, people were praising Johnny and Tara for finding things to praise about the less-accomplished skaters.

And of course, flamboyance has nothing to do with it, or Johnny would not be a fan of Plushenko, praise Patrick Chan (yes, he did. He's changed his tune on Patrick) or praise Virtue and Moir.

vCash
    Flamboyance has a little to do with it. I did hear him praising some male free skater who was embarrassing himself.

vCash
    Interesting that the Today Show promo says that Tara and Johnny - not Scott and Sandra - will be previewing the Ladies short on Wednesday.

I am really enjoying Tara, Johnny and Terry and I'm so glad that NBCsn is showing everything live.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Johnny won't like anyone who's not like him. Flamboyant and over the top.
    I didn't consider Johnny's competitive skating to be flamboyant and over the top, and I don't get the impression that he prefers flamboyant skating in others.

Who wouldn't be negative commenting on the men's long program? I didn't think that Johnny and Tara were negative about the ice dance.

But, I'm sure that NBC thinks that a large chunk of their audience is not ready for Johnny for reasons that have nothing to do with being critical of the skating.

vCash
    This article from the NY Times focuses less on the costumes and "fabulousness" and more on the hard work and production differences between NBCSN and NBC. (Scott's quotes almost make me feel bad for him.)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/19/sp...ines.html?_r=0

It occurred to me before how grueling it must be to be live on TV for 4-5 hours at a stretch (with very short commercial breaks plus having to talk to the guy at the desk during the re-surfacing), plus doing all those TV appearances and interviews, plus doing research for the next day on ALL the skaters (plus dressing to the nines with perfect hair and makeup each day). But this article confirmed it.

vCash
    And from the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...555918542.html

Quadless
    vCash
    Thanks for those links - they were both very interesting reads.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I didn't consider Johnny's competitive skating to be flamboyant and over the top, and I don't get the impression that he prefers flamboyant skating in others.
    But I definitely get the impression he pissed in Johnny_Fever's corn flakes once.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    While I must admit that Tara has improved, I totally disagree that she and Johnny are doing even a decent job with dance. One blatant example is when they were talking about the FD and stated it has no requirements at all so the skaters can "do anything they want" and that's why it is called a Free Dance. I mean, really! How can anyone consider this good commentating when they don't even understand the basics of the competition?

I am really tired of this and can only hope that Tanith does do more commentating (maybe with Ben?) after D/W's retirement as she, with more practice, could turn out to be the best we have ever had. She competed under both systems (and therefore actually knows what she is talking about), does her homework on the skaters, points out deficits without being negative or snarky and always finds something positive to say to give credit to the athletes. Personally, that's the way I prefer to receive my commentary, whether it is in a sport I know well, or one that I only watch every four years.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    I agree.

So let's pick one. I'm voting for my girl, Elizabeth Punsalan.
    I have never heard her do commentary. Does she do some?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    I have never heard her do commentary. Does she do some?
    Not that I'm aware of. I just like her and she's smart. Doctor's daughter after all. There were some criticisms about Tanith, so I was presenting alternatives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    But I definitely get the impression he pissed in Johnny_Fever's corn flakes once.
    On the contrary, his unsolicited handshake was most charming. Nice try though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Doesn't Johnny usually gush over Max Aaron and Keegan Messing? They aren't exactly flamboyant.

(And I agree- Johnny's costumes sometimes were, but his skating wasn't.)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast