View Poll Results: Does Yuna Kim have a chance for gold against Julia Lipnitskaya?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

144 90.57%
  • No

15 9.43%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Thanks ehdtkqorl123.

I was just wondering the source of the change, since Plushenko's name changed this year too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Unless all the 4 you listed implode, Gracie would not have a chance at gold. Team event did not have Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Adelina in the mix - the 2nd placement in TE probably would not have happened if any of those ladies were in that competition

so true

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I'm not overrating her; I'm just going by the scoring trend for Julia in the last two competitions. Prior to the team event a clean Adelina could beat Julia, but Julia has emerged as the darling of these Games which means Adelina might not be able to beat her...I'm just going by the scoring trends we're seeing...

Julia's PCS have risen steadily and if she throws down two more clean performances they'll go even higher. She's nearly pulled even with Carolina and Mao...if she has another clean SP she'll will pull even with them which will put her right on Yu-Na's heels. Yu-Na isn't known for skating flawless back-to-back programs...she's done it only twice in her career; Julia does it nearly every time she steps on the ice and in front of this Russian crowd, if she goes clean again in the FS, that 141+ will likely rise which will put pressure on Yu-Na to be pristine.

If Yu-Na is clean she'll win but if she makes a mistake and Julia is clean, I think the judges will give it to Julia. I don't necessarily agree with that but it is the reality of the situation. Yu-Na has quality and maturity; Julia has better spins and harder content in addition to a year worth of momentum and Olympic sensation buzz...she became a bonafide star last week.

The Russians are itching to give Julia that medal and over-scoring is very easy when the skater is clean. Julia is known for skating cleanly. For that reason if Yu-Na is going to win, she needs to be firing on all cylinders.

so a flaw yuna deserves to past a clean julia really? That's not going to happen. like I said before,vancouver was kim's olympics these are julia's. Even Yuna knos that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crs View Post
    so a flaw yuna deserves to past a clean julia really? That's not going to happen. like I said before,vancouver was kim's olympics these are julia's. Even Yuna knos that.
    If Yuna knew this, I doubt that she would be competing here. Unless she feels confident enough about defending her title, I don't think she would have made this comeback. It's hard to say where Julia will finish. The ice is slippery. I would love to see her skate two stellar programs, but it may or may not happen. Regardless, she has had a fantastic season. She should be very proud of herself, whether she wins another Olympic medal or not.

vCash
    No way. To regain figure skating glory in Russia, a flawed Lipnitskaya will beat a perfect Kim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crs View Post
    To be fair, up until 2 weeks ago it was still Yuna's Olympics.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I think Yuna will be Plushenko'd. Win by a huge margin, come back four years later and skate well with your usual very good elements, but just miss gold, and then come back for the home games four years later. It even benefits the ISU because it could mean Yuna and Julia both stick around for four years. I don't see Julia retiring if she wins. It's different from Lipinski because she didn't have to deal with an age rule and had already gotten to experience Worlds a couple of times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I can't imagine this, a World where Yu Na Kim has no chance at winning against a 15 yo badly overscored ! Actually, I feel really bad. I hope those Olympics end and that I will forget the results, asap ! hahahaaa
    I never knew there would be a day when I'd actually be rooting for Kim to win a second Olympic Gold. What a nightmare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I think Yuna will be Plushenko'd. Win by a huge margin, come back four years later and skate well with your usual very good elements, but just miss gold, and then come back for the home games four years later.
    Yuna has stated that this Olympics is her last. Check out her thread here, which includes a new interview. In it, she mentions several times that this will be her final competition. I think she wants to make it clear to the Korean press and public that she will not skate in Pyeongchang.

vCash
    Ugh. The fact this even exists absolutely sickens me.

Dark misery of death in my soul.

vCash
    Ugh. The fact this even exists absolutely sickens me.

Dark misery of death in my soul.
    LOL! The sudden experts are coming out of the woodwork on the radio and at work yammering on how much better Yulia is than "that girl from Korea". As if Yuna is a girl, and her name isn't easy to say.

"She's better because she sticks her leg up higher!!!!!!!!!".

Ugh. BTW, why didn't Sotnikova skate in the team event? Did that mean she didn't get a gold?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    LOL! The sudden experts are coming out of the woodwork on the radio and at work yammering on how much better Yulia is than "that girl from Korea". As if Yuna is a girl, and her name isn't easy to say.

Ugh. BTW, why didn't Sotnikova skate in the team event? Did that mean she didn't get a gold?
    Im guessing the Russian Fed decided that Julia was a better bet for both portions (which is probably correct - unfortunately). So no, Adelina does not get a medal for the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Im guessing the Russian Fed decided that Julia was a better bet for both portions (which is probably correct - unfortunately). So no, Adelina does not get a medal for the team.
    Which I thought was a dumb decision given that now Julia must skate 4 clean programs. I don't think even she can do that. I expect her to splat in the short or long program. The odds of her skating cleanly two more times are against her. Although I hope I'm wrong.

vCash
    I don't know - she is young, fearless, and will have crowd energy behind her. I don't buy into the bribe theories, and cam see her on the top step.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Which I thought was a dumb decision given that now Julia must skate 4 clean programs. I don't think even she can do that. I expect her to splat in the short or long program. The odds of her skating cleanly two more times are against her. Although I hope I'm wrong.
    Edge calls notwithstanding, 13 of her 14 programs she's skated this season were clean (the outlier was the Cor LP).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Why would she fall apart? She was not as prepared for the team event because it was new to her. After the team event event she was quoted as saying she felt more nervous for the the team event because she didn't want to let anyone down. After Plushenko performed so unexpectedly well for both portions she was putting more pressure on herself. When she left to go home Monday/Tuesday and train because she's not getting enough ice time in Sochi, she said now that the team event is over she can relax more because the individual is what she's used to. She more calm now for her event than she was when she was skating for her country and their expectations for team gold.

If she can go out there with more pressure on her than ever, on Olympic ice for the first time and perform like that, well then, it's highly unlikely she'll suddenly lose it now. And even if she has an error, unlike at COR, she knows what to do now. If the error is tiny enough like the small flaw she had on the landing of the 2Axel at Europeans, she'll go on to skate a program with a higher BV when she moves the double-triple combo into the the second half.

vCash
    I never said she would fall apart. I just expect a fall from her in one of her next two programs. Every athlete has an off day and Julia is due for one. Mind you, I don't want it to happen, but I have a hunch it will. The odds that she skates perfectly two more times seems awfully slim. Something's gotta give eventually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaia View Post
    The more pertinent and interesting question is does Julia have any shot at gold against Yuna.
    This!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post

No she did not get a gold.

I have been a bit confused by some of the scores and am anxious to see the protocols

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast