View Poll Results: Does Yuna Kim have a chance for gold against Julia Lipnitskaya?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

144 90.57%
  • No

15 9.43%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    The judges have been favoring D/W for a while now. And as a D/W fan, I'll acknowledge that events prior to the competition came into play, as they always do, but I believe it has to do more with the reputation for consistency they made for themselves and overall preference for their programs, than any deal.
    Exactly. This is what I don't get. D&W are the reigning world champions. In figure skating, for decades at least, if you're the reigning world champion, and especially if you've been skating well all season, you're usually going to get the benefit of the doubt. Is that so hard to figure out? And why is that never mentioned by those who are griping the loudest about the dance results??? I guess that just doesn't make for as sexy a story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Exactly. This is what I don't get. D&W are the reigning world champions. In figure skating, for decades at least, if you're the reigning world champion, and especially if you've been skating well all season, you're usually going to get the benefit of the doubt. Is that so hard to figure out? And why is that never mentioned by those who are griping the loudest about the dance results??? I guess that just doesn't make for as sexy a story.
    Maybe since that no longer makes sense when the reigning World Champion and reigning World silver medalist in ladies were placed behind a skater who was only 9th at Worlds who skated poorer than they did at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertmirsh View Post
    Maybe since that no longer makes sense when the reigning World Champion and reigning World silver medalist in ladies were placed behind a skater who was only 9th at Worlds who skated poorer than they did at the Olympics.
    Remember, I said usually, not always. Yu-na Kim was absent from all the fall competitions. If she had cleaned up the way D&W did, it's far more likely she would have gotten the benefit of the doubt too. Also, skating at home in Russia definitely worked in Sotnikova's favor--that may be the biggest factor. So, the situations with the ice-dance event and the ladies' event are not that comparable here.

vCash
    I can understand Sotnikova's PCS scores getting a slight boost because of the home crowd advantage. But Sotnikova's slight boost turned into an absolutely massive one. Both Kim and Kostner should've finished ahead of her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    I can understand Sotnikova's PCS scores getting a slight boost because of the home crowd advantage.
    Home-crowd advantage can often give a skater a huge boost. Doesn't that seem to happen a good bit in, say, Canada? No, it shouldn't happen, but it seems to frequently.

vCash
    But this boost was absolutely beyond reasonable. It was absolutely monstrous and quite frankly ridiculous. But yes, it happens too frequently (not quite sure if I've seen a score boost that big due to home turf advantage)
    Last edited by gk_891; 02-21-2014 at 05:01 AM.

vCash
    After watching it again, I am convinced that Yuna's SP score should have been quite a bit higher than Adelina's. The GOEs given by the judges are ridiculous as well as the tech panel's call that gave Adelina's StSq level 4 and Yuna's level 3.

vCash
    Exactly, which is why there is more outrage for their results. It just doesn't make any sense to anyone.

vCash
    I am just sickened. It doesn't help that the idiot NBC commentators were throwing their panties onto the ice over Adelina. Absolutely disgraceful. Were parts of their brains removed? Or did Putin buy them new cars? Whatever.

vCash
    It really pisses me off that us hardcore fans will spend a day in July during a post-Olympic year keeping up on the sport, yet the only way any of us would've predicted this is if we got together as a group and wrote it as a skit, a parody. It happened exactly as if we wrote it (I mean we wouldn't have gone as far as Sotnikova getting close to 10's only after Lipnitskaya was out of contention, that would've been like a bonus scene someone thought up), I'm so glad I'm a fan of skating for so many reasons besides who wins.

In other words... We are the ones who deserve to be pissed off just as much as the skaters!! Where's my petition and 2nd gold medal I want a parade thrown in my honor, goddammit.

vCash
    I can understand Sotnikova's PCS scores getting a slight boost because of the home crowd advantage. But Sotnikova's slight boost turned into an absolutely massive one. Both Kim and Kostner should've finished ahead of her.
    But for both Kim and Kostner to have finished ahead of her, the judges would have needed to dump Sotnikova's PCS completely to be the lowest of the final flight. Should her PCS really have been almost 8 points lower than it was when you take it in context with how everyone was scored? Should her PCS be lower than Gold's, Lipnitskaya's and Wagner's? Say what you will but the girl performed the hell out of it and she's not nearly as devoid of skating quality as everyone is acting - very nice speed and power, for one thing. I understand people wanting the scores to be closer but to get Sotnikova into third place, that's the PCS dumpage that would have had to occur - the tech advantage was that large.

vCash
    She had almost no kneebend on the landing of some of her jumps, where is the running edge, where is the beautiful posture we see from Yuna Kim on the landings of her jumps to warrant +2's and +3's, where is the ice coverage that Yuna Kim or Carolina Kostner get on their jumps? How come all of the sudden her GOE has taken such a huge drastic turn on top of the components jumping up an entire point and .25 away from getting 10's with an obvious error in the performance and a lack of control with her posture and her huffy-puffy type way of finishing up a program? She gets so many compliments for the way she clunks down on the ice like a log falling from the top of a tall building on that triple flip of hers in particular. (with the body wave to boot, it's like she knows she would've made a splash if the ice were water)

I like Sotnikova and she gave the best Olympic bronze medalist performances I have ever seen, I just hate Russia (until next year but seriously they deserve it).

Bitch moan complain kick a chair stub your toe whine whine lets get drunk.

vCash
    But this boost was absolutely beyond reasonable. It was absolutely monstrous and quite frankly ridiculous. But yes, it happens too frequently (not quite sure if I've seen a score boost that big due to home turf advantage)
    One judge gave her 9.75/9.75/9.75/9.5/9.5 PCS. This is insanity, not judging.

vCash
    Getting the judging investigated is about as likely as Putin turning Edward Snowden over to the the US.

vCash
    I wasn't shocked. Adelina skated for the home team and did so lights out.You get an automatic everything rise when the crowd is soo into you. The Judges respond to the crowds energy. The horrible thing is that the crowds were so lackluster at best for the top skaters not Russian. Do I think she deserved it. No. There is nothing that I will remember about her skating. Not even her costumes. She has ok everything and like Karpenko said would have been a fantastic Bronze medalist. I've mentioned it elsewhere but we don't need two subjective sections of judging. GOE needs major over hauling.

vCash
    I think the reason people are SO shocked is b/c it's Adelina. Since the team event, people have been preparing for a possible Julia upset...but Adelina was nowhere in the picture. Look at the title of this thread. No one was looking Adelina's way and most considered her a non-factor, likely to have a strong SP but crumble like a cookie in the FS. The fact that she delivered in both programs completely turned everything upside down.

I wasn't shocked to see her scores or the fact that she placed above both Kim and Kostner. This is the classic Olympic story that people want to see in the ladies figure skating event: young freshfaced teenager dethrones the favorites...people are reacting like they've never seen this before or didn't see it coming. After COR and the redonkulous scores Julia received there, I knew come hell or high water a Russian would be on the podium...everyone just got hung up on the wrong Russian.

I get people's outrage (kinda) but it's just too much drama for me to handle. There were so many amazing performances yesterday from everyone. I got my wish come true: the Big Three skated wonderfully and the Americans did well too. Despite the hate Adelina is getting (for something she had nothing to do with BTW) I'm very happy to see her control her nerves, handle the pressure and skate lights out in front of a home crowd at the Olympics. That was a dream come true for her and I'm thrilled she has that moment, regardless of all of the judging controversy.

I may have to stay away from the boards for a while. All of the whining, bitching and moaning is already getting tiresome and it hasn't even been a day yet. This is going to be the only thing people talk about for the next 6 months and I just can't...the results aren't correct but I do believe the right three were on the podium.

This is figure skating...it's not a real sport otherwise stuff like this wouldn't happen every other competition. Remember people calling for Chan's head after worlds last year? Crooked judging, inflated scores, bias and predetermined outcomes are the hallmark of figure skating. I don't know why people are acting so surprised...

Did Adelina deserve the gold? No, she should have been 3rd. Did Yu-Na deserve the gold? Probably, but honestly, I think Carolina had a very strong case for gold here too. What all this comes down to is it's now time for another judging system overhaul. It's been time and this controversy, along with the rumblings regarding ice dance being fixed, make it inescapably clear. Something needs to change.

vCash
    I haven't read this entire thread. So, I don't know if this is already posted. but, clearly there are a lot of people who are not happy with this ridiculous result: http://www.change.org/petitions/inte...sochi-olympics

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I haven't read this entire thread. So, I don't know if this is already posted. but, clearly there are a lot of people who are not happy with this ridiculous result: http://www.change.org/petitions/inte...sochi-olympics
    It's breaking all kinds of records...Yu-Na breaks records everywhere she goes! I read an article that said despite the large number of signatures, the overwhelming majority of them come from South Korea. It's going to be hard for the proper authorities to take it seriously when there is such a clear bias. But, given the attention all of this is getting, I truly hope the ISU takes a hard look at the scoring system and makes some changes.

vCash
    It was interesting that Caro‘s clean Bolero was less attractive than her Boleros with errors. Bolero at 14Euro & Sochi lost some magic it had last season.

vCash
    I am a bit surprised at some of the reactions.

Don't get me wrong, Adelina was OVERSCORED AS ****. Kim should've won after a flawless skate. Not only was the fact that she lost lame but the gap between the scores was even more ridiculous.

However, Adelina was mainly overscored in the PCS, and I don't agree with the idea that she should've been as far as bronze, as much as I WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY PREFER Carolina's skating and was rooting for her to win. When it comes to comparing most historical competitions ad nauseum on here, everyone makes allowances about certain programs/skaters being artistically superior, but most will still go with the technically more difficult program. So while Kim STILL should've won, Adelina should've been a close 2nd, I don't get this distant 3rd thing.....she stumbled on the 3rd double in a combination but if we took that out her program was still harder than the top 2 so that should count for something since Caro didn't even do a triple triple.

TL: DR Russiaflation is ridiculous, Kim should have her 2nd Olympic gold, but honestly it's not a surprise given the history of the sport, and I think the huge gap between the scores is more ridiculous than anything else considering Kim's flawless skate

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast