Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

British Eurosport NOT showing Winter Olympics

During the coverage of the New Years Eve Gala in Oberstdorf last night on British Eurosport Simon Reed said that British Eurosport would not be showing any of the Winter Olympics.
    Did I hear this right ?.
    Why is British Eurosport so poor compared to the other European Eurosports ?.
    Figure skating regularly gets bumped for Tennis, Football & Snooker while other Eurosport channels show events live & in full.
    I have never know Eurosport to not cover an Olympic Games.
    Anyone have any info on this ?.
    What are British Eurosports plans for Sochi ?.
    Do we have to rely purely on the BBC come February ?.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post

Do we have to rely purely on the BBC come February ?.
    OMG I hope not Sue Barker's skating commentary
    They could even have Clare Balding doing it she does everything else
    Eurosport not showing any olympics that will be strange .I did notice that there didn't seem to be any mention of the olympics considering it's so near now so maybe it's true bit I really hope not.
    Olympic dance without Chris/Nicky /Simon

vCash
    Eurosport probably didn't purchase the rights for the Winter Olympics.

If London 2012 is anything to go by, the whole event will be streamed both live and on-demand on http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/ in all countries which belong to the EBU.

LET'S PRAY THAT THIS IS GOING TO BE THE CASE. *hopeful*

Failing that, tvteka.com is an option for $12.

vCash
    Yes, it seems that Eurosport France won't show it either. That's really bad for skating. Hopefully Ziggy's right and we'll be able to see everything

vCash
    Worst skating news I've heard since Plushenko announced his return.

GUTTED.

Maybe Russia wouldn't sell the rights to eurosport because they're 'a bit gay'

Online feeds are great for GPs but the Olympics?....

vCash
    IS this a joke???
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    IS this a joke???
    No. There were news about it in German "Pirouette" in summer.

vCash
    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic...6_Summer_Games
    In Europe, for the first time, the IOC rejected the offer from EBU to broadcast the 2014 & 2016 Olympics, so individual networks in Europe must contract for television rights.
    IOC agrees European broadcast rights contract for 2014 and 2016 Olympic Games:
    http://www.olympic.org/content/news/...olympic-games/
    18/02/2009
    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) today announced its agreement with SPORTFIVE International Sàrl (SPORTFIVE) for the Olympic broadcast rights for the XXII Olympic Winter Games (2014) in Sochi, Russia, and the Games of the XXXI Olympiad (2016).

SPORTFIVE has acquired the rights across all media platforms, including free-to-air television, subscription television, internet and mobile phone, across 40 countries in Europe (excluding France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Turkey and the United Kingdom).

The IOC selected SPORTFIVE on its capacity to market the Olympic broadcast rights and its passion and commitment for the Olympic Games and the Olympic values.

SPORTFIVE will now seek broadcast partners on all platforms within the territories in which it has acquired rights, with the obligation to the IOC to ensure that the broadest possible audience has access to broadcast of the Olympic Games, including a commitment in each country of at least 200 hours of free-to-air television coverage for the Summer Olympic Games and 100 hours for the Olympic Winter Games.
    List of 2014 Winter Olympics broadcasters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_broadcasters
    In Europe, sports marketing agency Sportfive replaced the European Broadcasting Union as the sales agency of broadcast rights to the 2014 and 2016 Olympics in 40 European countries.[2] The IOC still separately negotiated broadcast rights in larger European countries such as the United Kingdom, where after uncertainty over whether rights to the Games could be picked up by a pay television broadcaster such as Sky Sports (but shared with a free-to-air broadcaster to comply with the laws forbidding certain major sporting events from being exclusively broadcast on pay channels), the BBC announced prior to the 2012 Summer Olympics that it would maintain exclusive rights to the Games through 2020.[3][4]
    Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics: BBC to show 200 hours of action
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/25213838
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-31-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Worst tv news ever.
    Maybe Eurosport could not face showing an event without snooker in it !.
    I hope the BBC show all the skating on one of their live streams.
    I think they will have six extra channels for Sochi.
    Eurosport have really dropped the ball not getting the Olympics. They have had it for as long as I can remember.
    Europeans will most likely get to see it in their own country from their main tv network.
    Let's face it though, Eurosport have ruined several figure skating events at the Olympics by going to the other sports at crucial times or starting late because of medal ceremonies. I remember the pairs event in Vancouver being ripped apart by them.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I think this means we're not going to get the EBU feeds either.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    So what are all the "Road to Sochi" flashes before every Figure Skating broadcast for when that event won't be shown?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by David21 View Post
    So what are all the "Road to Sochi" flashes before every Figure Skating broadcast for when that event won't be shown?
    I know !. They do that with the Football World Cup too. But they don't have the rights to it.
    The Olympics used to be the jewel in the Eurosport crown. I'm so sad that it's not on Eurosport.
    And then they have the cheek to only show a few things from the Europeans & Worlds yet the international Eurosports get full & live coverage.
    PLEASE do as I do & email or write to British Eurosport to complain.
    Remember how bad their coverage of the Europeans was in 2013 ?.
    They joined the Ice Dance free with only three couples left & the Gold medal winners had already skated then they joined the Ladies free when Kostner had already started. And what were they showing while live skating was going on ?, snowboarding !.
    And no coverage of ANY short programs. It was the worst coverage of the Europeans ever.
    I don't know who directs the events on Eurosport but I'm thinking it's a person who does not like any sport other than snooker.

vCash
    British Eurosport phone number-0208 8181499
    I'm going to complain to ask why we on British Eurosport get much worse coverage of figure skating than in Europe.

vCash
    Does that mean that the Olympics aren't shown on any Eurosport Channel? Or only British Eurosport? I was so looking forward to watch Figure Skating with the commentary of Siggi Heinrich and Hendryk Schamberger.

vCash
    The BBC is showing comprehensive coverage http://sport-onthebox.com/2013/12/04...pics-coverage/ but I much prefer the British Eurosport commentators. I can't understand why Eurosport wouldn't cover the Olympics
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Is it another case of a private broadcast consortium outbidding a public broadcaster? If so, public broadcasters just no longer have the money to compete. Look at what's happened to professional hockey in Canada - a massive amount of money stole the broadcasting rights from the Canadian Broadcasting Company.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Is it another case of a private broadcast consortium outbidding a public broadcaster? If so, public broadcasters just no longer have the money to compete. Look at what's happened to professional hockey in Canada - a massive amount of money stole the broadcasting rights from the Canadian Broadcasting Company.
    The BBC is a public broadcaster though. I think it's more a case of the IOC being greedy and very shortsighted.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    The BBC is a public broadcaster though. I think it's more a case of the IOC being greedy and very shortsighted.
    IOC greedy....................NEVER(!).
    As usual the fans of sport are placed way behind the sponsors & tv networks. I can honestly see most big tv events going from normal channels.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    IOC greedy....................NEVER(!).
    As usual the fans of sport are placed way behind the sponsors & tv networks. I can honestly see most big tv events going from normal channels.
    Under an EU directive, EU governments have the right to designate certain sporting events as being of such national importance that they have to be broadcast on a free-to-air basis. Both Ireland and the UK have such lists of events and the Olympics is one of these in the UK. So unless the UK government decides that the Olympics (both summer and winter) are not of national importance, the rights to them cannot be sold to a subscription channel such as Sky.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Under an EU directive, EU governments have the right to designate certain sporting events as being of such national importance that they have to be broadcast on a free-to-air basis. Both Ireland and the UK have such lists of events and the Olympics is one of these in the UK. So unless the UK government decides that the Olympics (both summer and winter) are not of national importance, the rights to them cannot be sold to a subscription channel such as Sky.
    You know how much the tories love money......................................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast