Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    He made some uncharacteristic small errors that added up to cost him big. So 0.5 separated Gold from Silver???? I think he would be fired up to go to Worlds for a re-match!

He could pull a Yuna or Plushenko and try for another Olympic medal but he'll be 4 years older....well just ask Dai how easy it has been to keep up with the young guns this quad. Sigh. I guess some things aren't meant to be. As beloved and decorated as Michelle Kwan was, even she doesn't have the Olympic medals that Patrick have at one Games. Hopefully with some time and perspective, he can appreciate everything he has accomplished in his relatively short career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bunhead View Post
    Aww, Emdee! In the grand scheme of things, 2-time silver medalist ain't bad. But man, so close. I wonder what his plans will be after Sochi.
    Not 2 time silver only once silver the team medal doesnt count except in history books.

His legacy of being on the podium every year but one at worlds since he hit seniors will be there.

As others said Michelle is one of the most decorated skaters and she didnt get the gold either.
    Hope he continues for the next couple of years at least.
    Last edited by Emdee; 02-14-2014 at 08:02 PM.

vCash
    He got a silver in the team competition!

vCash
    I am not sure I will ever love another male skaters work on the blade as much as Patrick's. He is a master.
    pug lover

vCash
    Hopefully with some time and perspective, he can appreciate everything he has accomplished in his relatively short career.
    Silver medalists (even the disappointed OGM hopefuls) usually do come to be pretty pleased. All he needs to do is think back four years and finishing 5th or look at Kurt Browning who had even more World titles and no Olympic medal at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    I am not sure I will ever love another male skaters work on the blade as much as Patrick's. He is a master.
    He is, puglover. IMO, his bladework is currently unsurpassed.

Emdee, I feel sooooo sad too. I have experienced these feelings so is able to take it slightly better. That's when we have favourites.

Not sure what he will do after his. Maybe, he will hand the baton to Kevin, Liam and others. Maybe he may skate for another couple of years whilst the younger team progresses then hand the baton over. Will see. Whatever he plans to do, I only wish him the best. He will always have a special place in my skater's corner part of the heart.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I agree Susan - as much as we place so much value on the Olympics it is only one competition in four years and hardly shows an athlete's life's work. He has been the hunted for much of that time and that in itself is hard. I hope he will come to see his career as a whole. I know this is crushing now but Kurt is my very favourite all time skater and he has no Olympic medal. I guess it is best to stay out of the other threads where some posters are so nasty.
    pug lover

vCash
    I just kept repeating over and over "it's not life or death, it's only the Olympics" while I watched him skate. Those are Patrick's own words from a few days back. I hope he can get over this and I hope he goes to Worlds and get his fourth title. Canada needs him.......there is really no man ready to step into his shoes yet. Congratulations on silver Patrick.......you are in good company with Elvis & Brian. <3

vCash
    He made some uncharacteristic small errors that added up to cost him big. So 0.5 separated Gold from Silver???? I think he would be fired up to go to Worlds for a re-match!

He could pull a Yuna or Plushenko and try for another Olympic medal but he'll be 4 years older....well just ask Dai how easy it has been to keep up with the young guns this quad. Sigh. I guess some things aren't meant to be. As beloved and decorated as Michelle Kwan was, even she doesn't have the Olympic medals that Patrick have at one Games. Hopefully with some time and perspective, he can appreciate everything he has accomplished in his relatively short career.
    The main difference between Patrick and Dai is that Patrick hasn't had the same extent of injury as Dai (knock on wood). And if there is a reliable jump for Patrick, it's his quad toe.

I would think Patrick and S&S have a similar career trajectory. Had S&S won in 2010, I don't know if they would be here now. And their most memorable programs came after 2010--Pink Panther, Pina. Patrick is still young and has a lot of room for improvement. There will be less pressure on Patrick during these next few years--yeah, he wins or doesn't win another World title, he already has three.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    I just kept repeating over and over "it's not life or death, it's only the Olympics" while I watched him skate. Those are Patrick's own words from a few days back. I hope he can get over this and I hope he goes to Worlds and get his fourth title. Canada needs him.......there is really no man ready to step into his shoes yet. Congratulations on silver Patrick.......you are in good company with Elvis & Brian. <3
    Luckiest all my tears were for him and not for Canada. He wanted to do it for US.....

I hope he finds peace in whatever he does and has a great life in or out of skating.
    He will always be one of the Skating greats for his blade work and will always have a place in my heart.

I will at least be seeing him life in CSOI at the end of April.

vCash
    Before this season, I would have thought he would like to move on. This year seems to have been so much more enjoyable on a day to day basis. He likes his training environment. He is part of the group and respected. He is trying to recapture his joy in competing that he had as a young skater. He seems to be in such a better head space - I hope he continues and has less pressure moving forward. He has certainly made huge improvements since Vancouver and has a lot to build on. Please, please - Patrick - we love you - keep going!
    pug lover

vCash
    As beloved and decorated as Michelle Kwan was, even she doesn't have the Olympic medals that Patrick have at one Games.
    I sincerely doubt non Patrick stans will hold the lack of a team medal against Kwan but stay delulu

vCash
    Congratulations to Patrick on winning the silver medal. I'm sure he's unhappy with his performance, but quite honestly after I saw the SP marks yesterday, I knew it wasn't in the cards. The differential was huge and Patrick probably thought it was over. I think we Canadians put way too much pressure on our champions to win, win, win all the time. I'd have been happy to see a good clean skate from him but it just wasn't to be.

vCash
    I'm heartbroken for Patrick as I know it won't be easy for him to forgive himself for this failure. Patrick being unable to beat a subpar Yuzuru by a comfortable margin is a scenario that had never crossed my mind because he was reported as looking strong and confident in all his practices and sounded so positive and believing in his chance after the short program. It's like I'm living a nightmare.

I just hope now that Patrick will find something he really enjoys doing outside of figure skating, I personally can't see him going back to the training rink and finding the motivation to continue beyond this season. Although I'd like him to stay in competition for a couple more years whether he wins or he loses.

vCash
    I hope that Kurt passes on this bit of wisdom to Patrick:

http://www.canadianliving.com/life/c...ic_athlete.php

Oh, and one more piece of advice: Whatever happens, you'll survive. "Trust me. I was favoured to win two gold medals and lost both of them. And life is still good.”

vCash
    It was a weird competition, everyone looked cautious it was close for gold and silver, and a close battle for bronze and everyone looked like skating not to lose and not going for it, which makes a competition seem flat. A silver is nothing to be ashamed of. Patrick did his best and that's all we can ask for and who knows if he sticks around. If not, well he's not the first world champion to not win Olympic gold. I know he's disappointed, but we still love him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I hope that Kurt passes on this bit of wisdom to Patrick:

http://www.canadianliving.com/life/c...ic_athlete.php
    Vintage Kurt. That's why he is so well loved.

I am sure Patrick will 'survive'. Winning OGM is only small part of our life jigsaw. There are bigger pieces which make up the picture. I saw pictures of him smiling and congratulating other skaters. It is his journey and only he can determine where he wants to go. Yeah,Kurt.. he'll be right, mate!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Congratulations to those who tried/landed/had the quads!

vCash
    It was nice to see the pictures of him and Yuzuru backstage. He's putting on a brave face and being a good sport about everything. I just don't want him to be sad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Vintage Kurt. That's why he is so well loved.

I am sure Patrick will 'survive'. Winning OGM is only small part of our life jigsaw. There are bigger pieces which make up the picture. I saw pictures of him smiling and congratulating other skaters. It is his journey and only he can determine where he wants to go. Yeah,Kurt.. he'll be right, mate!
    Orser got very depressed about his silver medal from Calgary, but that doesn't mean that Patrick will be. He seemed to be really relieved that it was over.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast